mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Which Size for Altitude 70 RSL?

Hello All,

I am soooo close to buying one of the Jenson Altitude 70's and if I knew the 20.5 would fit me I would have no problem. It if won't, I will go with the 50, which has a 19 available, but I would much prefer the XT componentry

I am 6'2", 200 lbs in street clothes, 35" inseam and came up through BMX racing so I normally tend to ride a little smaller than is what is "suggested"

So that would lean me towards the 19, however, I was also looking at an Ibis and their L has very similar top tube length to the RM XL (20.5). Do you guy/ girls think the 20.5 will be too big?

Thanks,
    Heath

ups and downs
    You're right in the 20.5" territory. I'm 6'-1" and a 19" feels just right for me with a 110mm long stem, with the extra top tube length on the 20.5" it should be in the right range for you.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    That's great news. I am about to pull the trigger! Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Done. The 20.5 has been ordered. How are the cranks on this guy? Is there anything of note for me to be aware of? How are the wheels?

Thanks,
    Heath

ups and downs
    The Race Face cranks can be prone to chain suck if you're in a sandy/gritty soil area, it corrects itself as they get some wear on the edges of the teeth but can be a nuisance until then.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have been reading some really bad reviews on these cranks. So here is the question, should I order a set of XT cranks and replace and sell them from the offset, or are they good enough to ride through any problems. I know that chain suck is not only a pain in the butt, but also not good at all for the chain and frame. I would hate to muck the cranks up only to replace them later out of frustration.

Also, Rocky, I noticed you recommended a good dropper seat post earlier. refresh my memory on which you like with this setup.

Thanks,
    Heath

ups and downs
    A preemptive strike on the cranks could be considered, especially if you live where the grit in the soil makes the chain suck more likely. The cranks themselves are OK, it's the chainrings that were the big issue. The newer RF Turbine rings are less problematic but not 100%, I found them to be a big improvement. XT cranks would fix it in advance. XT cranks have a 175mm Q factor, where the Deus cranks are 170mm. If you're sensitive to Q factor dimensions for knee alignment, that might be a consideration.

I've been running a Maverick Speedball post when I need that dropper capability, but they have had some issues in the Maverick and Crank Brothers versions. The new Rock Shox Reverb post seems to be the current best choice dropper seatpost which makes them harder to find. Fox is supposed to have their dropper post out soon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Excellent advice. Thank you very much!
    -Heath