Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

shock options for '13 Altitude? really wanna ditch the CDT....

46K views 167 replies 41 participants last post by  GRPABT1 
#1 ·
But I am not sure what would realistically be an upgrade.
Anyone try a non-position shock like a CCDB?

#69 ·
Yeah. I also had the 34 evolution. I ended up getting a Pike because the evolution shocks just weren't quite cutting it for me. I predict a Pike in your near future :) I felt RM did a good job spec ing their bikes but the suspension leaves a bit to be desired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

#71 ·
I've seriously been considering getting a Float X for my Altitude 770, but have been concerned with how it will effect the ride. Some of the reviews that I read on the Rally Edition made me think the Float X wouldn't be much of an improvement for me. I was checking out the Push website and found that they offer a new Float shock body with a surface finish that is supposed to be better than Kashima. I decided to try getting my Float tuned rather than getting an off the shelf Float X. And as a bonus, now my shock will be all black to match the DVO Diamond that I hope to get very soon. Anyway, my shock is at Push right now. I will report back with pics and my thoughts on it when I get it back. Can't wait!

Product Red Carmine Cameras & optics Circle

#73 ·
I got my shock back from Push yesterday. The black shock body looks good. A quick ride in the street last night, it feels good. The climb position is more open, which is fine with me because I never used it. According to the service card that came with it, the compression setting for my setup is Trail 2. I may contact Push for confirmation on that. Hopefully I can get some riding in this weekend if the weather cooperates.
Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Technology Carbon Black

#76 ·
I read this thread a lot when looking to replace the CTD on my '14 Altitude some time ago so thought I'd share my experience. Like everyone else the stock CTD felt horrible, and this was exaggerated when I replaced the very underwhelming 34 with a Pike up front - the front finally felt plush and smooth on washboard terrain and all around solid, but the rear was super disconnected and harsh. I eventually went with a Monarch Plus Debonair RCT3. I have had a decent amount of time on it now and it has been a very very good upgrade. Rear feels more paired to the front and both seem a lot more plush, especially small bump compliance but also large impacts feel well controlled. Would thoroughly recommend it, from memory its a M/M tune but Ill check and post a pic this weekend.

#78 ·
So I've had a good amount of riding time with the Push'd Float CTD. Per the Push tech, it should be run in the Descend position. That's where I ride it 98% of the time. It feels smoother on trail chatter. It is more supportive in the mid stroke, so it feels like it rides higher in the travel. Definately a big improvement and worth the money. I highly recommend the Push tune. Now if my DVO Diamond would ever be available...

#79 ·
Hi guys :)
I have the altitude 770msl rally edtion 14
And I want to change the rearshock to a monarch rct3 plus debonair. I have seen those earlier post of shock length and so on. But I dont now if the numbers good? So do some one know those numbers? Thanks for reply :)

#84 ·
IMO the remote lever on the Float X is a really nice feature and a huge benefit, especially if you are grinding out a big fireroad climb - I use it all the time for big climbs - I find that the descend setting is very plush and has quite a bit of bob, but this is reduced a lot when you set it on climb - I would almost say that the remote is even more crucial with the Float X b/c it is so plush!

My 770 rig w/ Float X + remote:

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel

#85 ·
this is my 2014 770 msl. After i changed a lot of parts, i guess it's now time to change the rear shock.
I decided to put on a RS Monarch RT3 debonair. Can anyone tell me if the factory tuning would fit the bike. It's hard to find any information about the Rocky Mountain custom tuning. What kind of custom tuning does the frame require?
The one available Shock at our local store is a "tune mid" model.

Attachments

#87 ·
Thanks!...and thanks ;)
So i guess this is the standart RS factory tuning.
I can get a RS monarch plus rc3 debonair, mid tune (whatever that means) for 330 euros which is half the amount i would have to pay for a float x.
Are you sure there is no possible scenario that the can (whatever it's for) could hit the downtube?
Is it easy to reach the adjust knob? The new shock won't have a remote, which i won't miss by the way.

#92 ·
I went to the local rocky seller today. he told me that i need a special hardware kit to install the monarch (i wonder that it was not mentioned here before), which is currently not available. i also wanted to replace the internal cable stop, which is partly broken, by the new alloy version. But it's also not available. Any suggestions?

#96 ·
get your LBS to press out the bushings (metal rings with a red coating from memory) in the Monarch shock, then carefully remove the bushings from the Fox CTD shock and pop them into the monarch. I used a sharp knife to carefully lever up the sides of the bushings and then just pull them out with your finders. works well and you can keep the original hardware that the bike came with.

#106 ·
i can appreciate what rockyuphill posted (thanks for that) but seeing as how modern Fox and RS hardware is totally interchangeable, I have no idea why RM would advise of such a necessity except if you were running the stock bushings in the Monarch. Then of course the yellow Igus bushings from the stock Fox would not fit.

As others have advised, push out the stock bushings from the Monarch and pop in the polymer Igus ones.

The only issue with using a Monarch is the air valve is very difficult (impossible in some positions on the plastique models) to get a pump on, especially if the connector on the pump hose to the shock's schraeder valve is of larger diameter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.