mtbr member

Sherpa - Thoughts?

Been waiting for someone to start a thread about this but haven't seen any threads started...so figured I'd take the plunge...

What's everyone's thoughts on the new Sherpa?
    Anyone pick one up yet?
    Who plans on trading in their skinny tires for "semi-fat" tires?
    Quote Originally Posted by WA-CO View Post
    If you bash it, what do you do? Walk? Don't be a puss. Get back up there and try again.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shawneeboy View Post
    Been waiting for someone to start a thread about this but haven't seen any threads started...so figured I'd take the plunge...

What's everyone's thoughts on the new Sherpa?
    Anyone pick one up yet?
    Who plans on trading in their skinny tires for "semi-fat" tires?

Yeah good thread. I don't see the point of all these stds so the big question is...

WHY????

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I've no use for a Sherpa, but that is a wicked paint/decal job.

mtbr member
    Yeah I don't see the point in making my 29er Element slower by putting on fatter (overweight) wheels and tires. Bikepacking is for hippies.
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

Muskoka
    I would be very interested if it came with SRAM derailleurs/shifters so that I could switch out triggers for grip shift. But since it's spec'd with Shimano, I'm out.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/BlackCanoeDog
    2011 Rocky Mountain Altitude 70 RSL
    2015 RSD Mayor...loves the white stuff!

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    I would be very interested if it came with SRAM derailleurs/shifters so that I could switch out triggers for grip shift. But since it's spec'd with Shimano, I'm out.
    If you where going to switch out the shifters anyways it's only the price of one rear derailleur which would cost you like $50 (if that) for a Sram after you sold the Shimano.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    If you where going to switch out the shifters anyways it's only the price of one rear derailleur which would cost you like $50 (if that) for a Sram after you sold the Shimano.
    Shifters, front and rear derailleur as a minimum, possibly the cassette too?

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    Shifters, front and rear derailleur as a minimum, possibly the cassette too?
    No front der can be matched with either brand as well as cassette up to 10 speed anyways not sure about 11 speed though.

Workin for the weekend!
    Yeah, a SRAM shifter will operate a Shimano FD no issues. Cassettes are interchangeable too...

Sherpa looks really cool, specs and artwork!
    Todd

Muskoka
    ^ OK thanks guys, good to know. Agreed, bike is very interesting. There is usually a RM Demo Day at my local trails once a season, I hope they do this season and have Sherpas with them.

Moderator Moderator
    RM is on a demo tour. They'll be in Asheville this coming Saturday.
    "You are saved - seek to be like your Savior." - Charles Spurgeon

mtbr member
    I would absolutely consider buying one if the suspension wasn't tailored specifically for bikepacking (or "overland") (120mm in the front 95mm in the back).

120mm is a little light for me in the front (although not sure if I'd be able to tell the difference between that and the 130mm on my Instinct), but not sure how weird it would feel with the drastic difference between front and back...

If RM put out a 130mm front and back 27.5+, I'd be all over that like a pig in s**t...
    Quote Originally Posted by WA-CO View Post
    If you bash it, what do you do? Walk? Don't be a puss. Get back up there and try again.

ccm
    West Coast Racing
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shawneeboy View Post
    If RM put out a 130mm front and back 27.5+, I'd be all over that like a pig in s**t...
    so an Instinct with more tire clearance is what you want?

actually what I want is a 26" Element MSL with more tire clearance
    26x2.8" at low pressure with 140mm fork (custom BC Edition?) would give all the roll over ability of a 29x2.1" at moderate pressure with 120mm fork and would be lighter and stronger
    less rolling resistance in soft and/or rough texture conditions too, but would need to boost tire pressure when hitting pavement to not lose too much to the 2.9x2.1"

mtbr member
    I gave the Sherpa a quick spin at my local Rocky demo day today. Took it up a technical climb and at lower tire pressures it is like a tractor. I was clearing rocks that I couldn't do on my slayer. I put it in first gear and just pedalled and it went over everything. The mechanics set me up with way too much tire pressure initially but letting some out on the trail made a big difference. Now the downside is you're not setting any speed records with it but it was a blast.
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

mtbr member
    I had been riding my Fatboy almost exclusively because of the grip. I put a set of Wide lightening wheels and 2.4" Ardents on my Element 970 and fell back in love with it. Great combination of grip and responsiveness.
    2014 Specialized Fatboy
    2013 Rocky Mountain Element BC Edition
    2011 Gary Fisher Utopia
    2007 Specialized Roubaix

mtbr member
    I got to demo a Sherpa at Curt Gowdy this weekend. Very impressed with the bike. Light weight front end made lifting the front wheel easy. Insane traction up STEEP granite rock. Descending was fun as usual with RM but the difference was that rather than skidding and sliding through corners the Sherpa was quiet and composed. Bottom bracket is too low so lots of pedal smacks. I'd recommend going a size smaller on the crank arm length.
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

mtbr member
    I too demo'd a Sherpa not too long ago. Nice bike but the lack of Ride 9 killed it for me. If it had Ride 9, I would be riding it right now. I guess I'm ruined with my Altitude.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I pedaled one at a RM demo a couple of weeks ago. Geometry wise it fit me perfect and I liked how it rode and liked the traction. But...I did have a problem with a few pedals strikes as someone mentioned earlier.

Then I took an Instinct for a ride and liked that one better.