mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Seeking info on Smoothlink 999 RSL compared to Maestro and DW Link

Searching mtbr and Google turns up a few comments and from the same 1 or 2 riders. Regarding the 999 RSL frame and Smoothlink, how does it compare to the DW Link found on the likes of the short-travel Pivot 429c, the Ibis Ripley or the Turner Czar. I don't expect anyone to have extensive time on the aforementioned nor own them, but my questions are as follows:

Even with proper sag does the Smoothlink work better with the shock platform turned on to eliminate bobbing? I prefer not to have a bar mounted lockout lever and would just set and forget if possible.

Does the rear suspension spike or pack up on fast long descents with proper sag to maximize climbing efficiency? I know this is often a shock trait on some bikes, but does the Smoothlink contribute to this trait if it is indeed a trait.

Is Smoothlink semi active under braking like a single pivot?

Does it require more psi to keep the rear end higher in its stroke ala my VPP2 or does it operate with less psi and still stay high in the shock stroke due to anti-squat like my Maestro and DW Link bikes?

Looking for a lightweight endurance race bike. You'd think with the light weight and stiffness the 999 rsl frame would be a no brainer for a highend racer. Is it the dealer network or does the marketing of other fs designs overpower Rocky Mountain?

wheelie king
    Smoothlink should be active under braking. I just sold my Giant Trance X that I rode for 4 years. I am waiting for my 2014 Altitude to arrive so I will be able to make an actual comparison between the two. I also do not want to keep the bar-mounted adjuster lever and am hoping I can find a happy medium between pedaling and good bump absorption.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Not quite what you are asking, but recently I have spent several hours on the 2014 Giant Trance and Trance SX. I also purchased and have ridden several hours on a 2014 Altitude 750 (got it after demoing the Giants.) My overall impression is that with the CTD shock set to trail, they all have about the same pedal bob on vigorous climbs, which is to say not very much. Switch the shock to climb and they all feel pretty spongy.