mtbr member
    May 2008

RP23 w/Boost Valve - Feel on the PRE-2013 Altitudes

For those who have 2012 and earlier Altitudes, I was wondering:

Can you feel a significant difference with and without propedal on?

I can't seem to notice a difference with just body weight bouncing inside the house with PP on vs off, it all feels the same at any of the 1-2-3 settings.

Additional info:

Brand new shock on a brand new 2011 frame that I have been putting parts on all winter. Finally got it together to test (inside the house as its -37C outside) and I think somethings wrong with it...

ups and downs
    You'll find a bigger difference on the trails while climbing, bouncing won't tell you much
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Ok fair enough. I will wait to test it out on the trail.

My old RP23 on the ETSX was a stunning difference at the 3rd hardest PP setting. Felt like a lockout.

Thanks for the help

ups and downs
    The Altitude ProPedal tune isn't that aggressive since the suspension design is pretty resistant to pedal bob as it is. They seem to have moved away from the near lockout sort of tune to less and more low speed compression damping.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    So I was finally able to get out and test the bike this weekend. And in all my testing I could not see any difference at all whatsoever in any of the propedal settings. Even with propedal on and off it all felt the same.

Rocky - in another thread I noticed that you had mentioned your RP23 on your altitude was a medium rebound tune, a medium velocity tune and a 175PSI boost valve tune.

Mine has a medium rebound tune, LOW velocity tune and 200PSI boost valve tune.

Could this be the difference?

ups and downs
    It's possible if the shock tune is substantially different it might feel completely different. Did you buy the shock with the tune for an Altitude or was it tuned for another bike?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The shock came with the frame as a warranty replacement for my ETSX. It was a 2011 Altitude 70 frame.... Maybe I should talk to the shop...

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by ilikefire View Post
    The shock came with the frame as a warranty replacement for my ETSX. It was a 2011 Altitude 70 frame.... Maybe I should talk to the shop...
    The Boost Valve version of the RP23 I ordered was based on the spec I got from Rocky for the 2010 model, so unless they changed the shock tuning in 2011, it sounds like the shock you got doesn't match the frame spec.

mtbr member
    I just started riding a new 2011 element msl 70, and I notice (or actually don't notice) the same thing. There is no noticeable difference with or without propedal on. I can't notice a difference bouncing or trail riding (including climbing) in any of the settings. Rockyuphill - is your MSL 70 like this also? Its not the end of the world because the bike does not need propedal, but I am worried my rp23 propedal is malfunctioning. Great bike otherwise .... extreemely solid and light. It climbs like crazy.