mtbr member
    Sep 2008

rocky mountain road bikes

I know that this is MTBR, but I am curious if anyone knows anything about rocky road bikes? I have heard really good things from others and claims of "best bike ever" have been thrown around. I assume that rocky works with a partner to get their road bikes and they are done overseas and that does not bother me in the least. I am trying to find out about the solo 90/70 rsl frame weight and the fork they use. frame is the same other than color and they have all of the std stuff you need on a road bike (pf30 BB, internal routing, thin stays). any help is appreciated.
    thank you

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    An RSL Solo Team has been my principle road bike for 3 years and lots of races (Cat 2 and 1 level). Fantastic bike. Gives up nothing to the other carbon monocoque race bikes my buddies ride (canvelotrekalized etc) as far as I can tell. I'm no princess but the ride is smooth enough, BB is solid, details like cable routing and paint are stellar. I have no idea what the frame weighs, but it builds up plenty light. Nothing about the frame suggests that road bikes are merely an afterthought at Rocky.

My bike is a few years old, and so has threaded BB and thicker seatstays (still rides great though). I don't see why the new ones wouldn't be even better.

Makes a friggen awesome stable mate to my Element 29er RSL too!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Good to know
    I have a real stable of rocky bikes now and have no reason to doubt the road bike
    It should sit nicely along my element 999rsl, vertex 990 rsl and solo cx carbon bike
    Stoked to give it a shot

mtbr member
    Not to talk down the Rocky roadies but, I went to a Rocky dealer about 4 years ago with the idea of getting one. The owner even rode one of the older solos. That said, he was like "yeah, they're good but they're just not AS good as the Specializeds". Now he's obviously a Specialized dealer but he went into a list of the reasons why. I also had a buddy who works for a Trek dealer tell me some of the things that were lacking on the road bikes. It's not like would've been unhappy with it and it probably would've rode well but you just get more options, more bike for your money and probably better customer service with a company that does more with road. Just my $0.02.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I don't doubt that more tech from bigger companies goes into their road bikes, but my checklist is met with the rocky and some generous help from a LBS makes it a good bet

Thanks for weighing in

mtbr member
    Hi, frame weight sz 54 ~ 975g, fork ~ 350g. BTW, the BB is BB30, not PF30!
    Product Manager
    RMB
    Main Rides: 14 Proto - 13 Element RSL 29 - 13 Altitude MSL - 13 Prestige RSL

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    thanks for the info.
    any other info/photos are appreciated. I think the murdered out 70 looks really sharp.

Collector Rocky Mountain
    I have the "Solo al 50" color team and I can tell you frankly that I've never tried a bike aluminum so powerful.
    If so give me time version rsl will certainly be a bomb.
    The bike is this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Una Rocky e' per sempre,preferibilmente se fatta a mano.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I recently got the new bike and I have to say that the finish on the bike blew me away. far better than I expected. the build will be stellar as well with full 9000 DA build kit. I will post a photo when I have it built up. I am surprised that there are not more rocky road bikes out there with the way the 70 and 90 rsl frames are finished. really great value for the money

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

new 70 rsl

rocky mountain road bikes-img_1021.jpg

got the bike and the build is coming along. should be set up by the end of the week.
    full DA9000
    easton ea90slx wheels (not pictured)
    3t stealth stem (not pictured)
    frame, fork, headset, hardware, etc came in at 1500 grams
    should build up nice and light.

mtbr member
    I have a 2010 Prestige 70CR that I build as a frame-only, and it's been awesome. Plus, I like the fact that I'm not riding something you see everyday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    No one notice page 2 of their 2013 road bike catalogue? Mountain bikers riding mountain bikes on the road! That will sell road bikes right? Now if only they would do a BC Edition road bike! or at least a cyclocross one no? My beloved Rocky below,

Collector Rocky Mountain
    What beautiful, too bad that the Solo in Europe are not imported and the ones you see are very rare.
    My I had to have it practically taken at Eurobike in Germany, was the one on display at the stand
    Una Rocky e' per sempre,preferibilmente se fatta a mano.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Hi!

Does someone know a dealer that would sell me a frameset and ship it to Europe ?

Robert

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    It is a little on the cheap side, compared to the full carbon rigs. But, I have a 2001 Rocky Mountain Team Scandium in 58cm. Built with 9-speed Dura Ace, it is a stiff and light bike that I have ridden all over France and northern Italy, as well as my home state of Colorado.

I have a more expensive carbon and Ti Serotta which i do tend to ride more. The Rocky TSC is now my travel bike. However, every time I get on it, I say, "Man, this bike really is smooth and responsive!" I've kept it for 13 years, and it is still a joy every time I ride it.

I have only one Serotta, but I have three wonderful Rocky Mountain bikes, each one different and wonderful for my riding needs.