swag ho Administrator

Rocky Mountain Ride-9 System

I got to try it just a little bit last week. Concept sounds good as the head angle, bb height, seat angle and shock curves are changed.

For those that have used it, does it work? What setting and how much of a difference does it make.

Here's the microsite they created to make sense of it Ride 9 || Rocky Mountain Bicycles

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    My new bike has Ride 9. Its been 5 days of riding and I've only play with it in 2 positions so far. I've had it set in the "heavy weight" and a cross between it and the slack angle setting. I had to change the amount of pressure in the shock between the two. I think it works from what I have seen so far.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I've had my Altitude for a couple of months now. Love it.

I'm a lighter rider so I started with setting 4 for a fairly neutral setup. Bike seem to descend and climb equally well in this setting.

More recently I move to setting 5 for more aggressive descending and the personality of the bike completely changed. Between the lower BB and slacker HA I was very pleased how drastic it felt. Leverage ratio on the shock definitely does change as advertised. I had to let about 15psi out to get the same sag and travel I had in setting 4. Oh, and the progressive rear now seemed "more poppy". Pretty cool.

I just switched to setting 6 for the Slackest/lowest/most progressive setting. I got one ride in on it and I would say it finishes what setting 5 started. Bike feels dialed and is way faster than I am in fast descents and turns. I'm doing an enduro race next weekend so I'll leave it in this setting till I return back to my local trails. I'll again, need to let a touch more air out of the shock to regain full rear travel. It looked like I used roughly 15% less than normal at the end of today's ride.

Then I'll probably just go back to setting 4 as the BB height in 6 is a little low for my local northeast trails. Definitely had a bunch of pedal strikes today. The bike is also a little slow to turn in tight sections with the 66*HA.

Great bike!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Remember, that changing geometry and leverage ratios for 9 possible combinations with a shock that is shimmed one way will lead to compromise. Elephant in the room here, nobody seems to mention this... but it exists. Some folks don't care, some overlook it, and some can't even tell. Find what works the best 90% of the time and do a bit of shock work to really get er dialed.

Proud lame eBiker
    Fat guy slacked out angles and low bb here. Love it. 'm never going to be the first to the top of the hill anyway, so I love the slacker/lower setting.
    Did the Enduro at N* this past weekend and I seriously could not have asked for a better bike for that!

I've had my bike for about 6 months now. Initially played around with the different settings, but I really live for the descents so just moved to the slackest/lowest setting and left it there. The bike is so light and pedals so good, I don't need any faster steering or higher BB.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Finally changed my settings on the 9 yesterday for some hot laps on Teton Pass. Holy CRAP, DOES IT CHANGE THE WAY THIS THING RIDES!

wasn't expecting such a dramatic difference from neutral to full slack. With the 160 TALAS 36 up front, it was way slacker than my last Reign. Really amazed me. I (kinda sorta) wish there was a QR, but there is already a little too much gizmotron going on already!

Really, really neat engineering.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    in the market for a carbon fs 275

any comments on durability of the ride9 mechanism?

not to jack the thread but...
    any comments on the bushings in the shock systems and durability again?
    also i just wonder RM presence in forums not as extensive as i would think incl places like here and pink and in the euro forums for a company that produces at that level.