mtbr member

Rocky Mountain is going to mix it up again

Just when I think nothing could distract me from my love affair with my RM Instinct, my local RM dealer shows me a new brochure detailing the new Thunderbolt. A 120mm 27.5 bike with some nice geometry numbers. Those of you who are not pups probably remember the T-bolt from the vintage hardtail days…this isn’t your Grandpa’s thunderbolt though. One thing that stood out to me is the 68.5 HA, which (for me) is the sweet spot. Even though I’ve spent no time at all on 27.5 bikes, I think that might just be the ideal size at least for my riding…This bike is certainly going to mix it up. Rocky is getting so many awesome bikes in the lineup, it is making it tough to choose "the one"
    Hey, is that a Huffy? That's a nice-lookin' bike, boy!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    That's great news. Last year I sent my broken 93 Thunderbolt back to Rocky for frame replacement. That filet brazed steel frame was my favorite bike of all time, and can hope the new 650 is either steel or Ti, and not plastic, AND has a threaded bottom bracket, not some teenage lust press fit crap.

mtbr member

RE: Rocky Mountain is going to mix it up again

Wow. I was just lying in bed thinking about the 26" element msl 5x5 and what a great bike it is and maybe RM should produce a 5x5 27.5". Couldn't sleep so I thought I would peruse the forums and saw this. Like I said, wow.
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Thinking about picking one up to complement my Altitude 27.5...
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Got a chance to take a short trail spin on one... Its going to be a winner. Priced well and speced well. Great bike for those who ride smoother less aggressive trails where 150mm is too much and for those who don't want or need a dedicated race bike. Smack dab in the middle. Very playful bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Saw the 2014 catalog as well...The new altitude lowest specced bike is going to have an X Fusion 34mm fork with an X-Fusion rear shock.....liked the idea of having a 34mm fork from X-Fusion on the front. Should be priced similar to the current lowest end model.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yahsper View Post
    Got a chance to take a short trail spin on one... Its going to be a winner. Priced well and speced well. Great bike for those who ride smoother less aggressive trails where 150mm is too much and for those who don't want or need a dedicated race bike. Smack dab in the middle. Very playful bike
    Thats awesome. How did you manage to get a ride on this thing already?
    Very cool though....
    Hey, is that a Huffy? That's a nice-lookin' bike, boy!

wheelie king
    Aluminum frame or carbon? 120mm fork?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ptkevin View Post
    Saw the 2014 catalog as well...The new altitude lowest specced bike is going to have an X Fusion 34mm fork with an X-Fusion rear shock.....liked the idea of having a 34mm fork from X-Fusion on the front. Should be priced similar to the current lowest end model.
    Here's a pic!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rocky Mountain is going to mix it up again-image.jpg  

wheelie king
    There's also a thread in the 27.5 forum:

http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/201...ng-870759.html

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Monkey View Post
    Thats awesome. How did you manage to get a ride on this thing already?
    Very cool though....
    Retailer...supposed to keep quiet till the 29th but since there are pics up there is no harm in saying how great they are going to be...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I wonder if you could get a few parts from this and retrofit a element 70msl to be 27.5!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by artsn View Post
    I wonder if you could get a few parts from this and retrofit a element 70msl to be 27.5!
    Look up the MSL thread; this was discussed and I believe it can be done on the msl but not the rsl.

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Zoidberg View Post
    Look up the MSL thread; this was discussed and I believe it can be done on the msl but not the rsl.
    Other way around, the RSL can be converted but the 120mm travel on the MSL won't allow a 27.5" wheel without shimming the shock to reduce travel, otherwise the wheel hits the seat tube at full travel
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Come on Rocky, you can do better than that. We wait 20 years for you to resurrect the Thunderbolt name, and you bring out a dime a dozen full suspension bike that looks like all of your full suspension bikes.
    Too bad you have lost your spirit and now old customers. The original Thunderbolt was full rigid, steel and exclusive. The new Thunderbolt is not.
    I guess you don't like to follow your old competition, but I think of what Kona can come up with, especially when I see their limited run Raijin. The Raihjin is exactly what Rocky needs, a 650 that can be built rigid, single-speed or geared, especially now that the Blizzard has been dropped.
    A lot of your old fans that have gone back to road riding, don't ever want to consider a full suspension bike again, but like the idea of a steel or Ti hardtail.
    In the past I have owned an Element T.O. and two ETS-X's, and while they were fun in their day, I just walk past or ignore any of the new full suspension bikes.
    I am not saying your full suspension designs are no good, it's just that there are a lot of riders that have moved on to other interesting things.

mtbr member
    Well, that Altitude is also no longer a steel hardtail it used to be. Rocky seems to recycle the old product names, but hey, I'm not complaining. I'm wondering what they will do with the Blizzard name. I don't think they can turn that into a full-susser and get away with it

More Eurobike pictures on velozine.nl (use Google Translate!).

ups and downs
    Maybe the Blizzard will be the 27.5 race carbon hardtail

hec
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I want one, looks great...providing we can get the distribution & spares flowing into U.K. again.

ups and downs

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    You really think the Blizzard would be anything other than a Fat bike? ;-)
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Workin for the weekend!
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    You really think the Blizzard would be anything other than a Fat bike? ;-)
    Now there's a guy who understands the meaning of the word "irony"...