mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Rocky mountain Element sizing info

Found a good deal on a 2010 Element 30 at my local shop. They only have a 18 inches from last year. Not sure about the size and they are not really helpfull or knowledgable from what I can see. No measuring or testing. My old bike a Kona Kula is a 19 inches. I'm 5'11 and 3/4 and I'm trying to figure out if the 18th is right for me or 19 would be better. It that case it would mean keep on shopping.

I will try to go see different shops that carry Rocky mountain tomorrow to see if they have any element in 19 inches so I can compare because this one didn't have any.

Any input would help on this one.

Thanks
    Ern

ups and downs
    The Horizontal top tube length on the 18" would be 585mm or 23". Measure the HTT of your Kona to give you an idea of how that will compare.

At just over 5'-11" you're likely out at the top end of the fit for an 18"
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    the kona is is 590 mm 23 1/4

thanks for the info

ups and downs
    1/4" you can definitely make up in seat post offset and stem length. Even just going to a 685mm bar from 660mm would make that feel about the same.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Thanks for the input. I am still gong to try to see if I can see a 18 and 19 side to side at another shop. Most shop here carry very little mountain bikes so it's not easy

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    The 19 is probably the right size, the limiting factor on the 18 will be seatpost extension. You need minimum 100mm (4 inches) of post in the frame regardless of the markings on the seatpost.
    Inside Sales
    Rocky Mountain Bicycles
    My current rides
    2012 Vertex 990 RSL
    2013 Element 999 RSL
    2012 Proto Solo CXR Disc

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    What a mess I got myself into.. thinking of buying a new bike. It's so complicated and getting good information in shops is next to impossible since all they have around here are road bikes and MTB are on order only. I'm still trying to find a 19 element somewhere so I can compare size, all they had at the other shop today was a 2010 element 10 .. 18 inches. Guy was telling me it's the right size but no measurement just pull it up from between the legs.

I'm thinking I will have to drive up north to the mountains and find some shops that can actually help me getting the right size.

ups and downs
    Where are you located?

If your Kona Kula is a good fit and you're comfortable on it, then matching the geometry and frame measurement specs is a good way to get an idea of what will work.

The HTT on the Element 19" is 600mm (23.625") so it's a bit longer than your Kona, if your Kona has felt cramped, the 19" Element will give you more length.If the Kona already felt long enough, the extra 15mm HTT length on the Element might leave you feeling too stretched out.

The ST/HT angles are 73.5/71 for both sizes of Element.

The HTT length is the best indicator of matching fit.

The seat tube and head tube angles are an indication of where you are positioned over the pedals and how snappy the handling will be. The steeper seat angle moves you forward on the bike and puts you more over the pedals which is good for power input. The steeper head angle gives you faster steering, but that 71d angle is often slackened by the rear suspension compression so it isn't quite the same as a steep head angle on a hardtail. So even though it's 71d, it will often be 69-70d while rear suspension is moving,

There is no substitute for a test ride or fit though, it would be worthwhile finding a shop that will actually make the effort to get you matched up to what you need instead of what they have on the floor.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hello,

I'm thinking of buying RM 2012 Element 50.
    What would be the best size for there measurement ? 18" ?

Inseam: 83 cm (33 in)
    Trunk: 63 cm (24,8 in)
    Forearm: 36 cm (14,2 in)
    Arm: 61 cm (24 in)
    Thigh: 59 cm (23,2 in)
    Lower Leg: 54cm (21,3 in)
    Sternal Notch: 144 cm (56,7 in)
    Total Body Height: 174 cm (5'8 and 1/2 ft)
    Last edited by Citi; 03-15-2013 at 11:53 AM.

ups and downs
    At 174cm tall you're likely going to be pretty stretched out on an 18", the 16.5" is likely going to be closer. But the easiest thing to do is compare the HTT to your current ride. The 18" has a HTT of 585mm and the 16.5" has a HTT of 565mm. If you can get the HTT within 5mm of your current ride, that's likely going to be the best fit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm kind of confused. I've used 19" inch size Specialized Hardrock 26 quite alot and I'm pretty sure it's not too big for me. It's geometry:

Specialized Bicycle Components

Howerver, the most alike size from the Rocky Mountain Element series would be 19", which can hardly be true ?
    Specialized 19" size has HTT of 605mm. Element is 585mm for 18", 605mm for 19"

RM Geometry:
    Bikes | Mountain | XC Full Suspension | ELEMENT 50

ups and downs
    I'm 185cm tall with very long arms and a 19" Element 70 MSL fits me very well. At 174cm tall on a 19" I would think you would be quite stretched out unless you have a very very short stem (like 50mm) on your Spesh Hardrock. But if you like the way your current bike feels, then your best bet is to match the HTT length and go with a 19" Element, and set up the cockpit the same way.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm not sure what stem is on my specialized and I cant measure it at the moment, but it's a standart one. Most likely 90mm.

From what I have read on forums about other's people height and the RM Element size they are riding, I came to conclusion that 19" size is for 180+cm or taller. Noone close to my height rides 19".
    This makes 18" suitable for me, I guess.

The problem is the measurements presented at the official website confuse me alot. Since the Spec Hardrock I have now is 19" size and has the measurements adequate to 19" RM size, and I cannot understand how it can be so

Also, the size of Spec Hardrock was recommended by the official retailer, so it must not be too far off from my needs.

ups and downs
    It's likely worth the effort of confirming that Hardrock frame size by measuring the HTT length. If it works for you and measures at 605mm then the 19" Element should fit virtually the same.
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 03-17-2013 at 12:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    One more wierd thing. According to geometry numbers RM provides, the standover height is the same for all the different bike sizes. 736 mm. How this can be true ?

ups and downs
    If you look at the frame design the low spot in the frame is pretty much the same, what changes is how tall the seat mast is. Even the head tube size change is fairly small across all the sizes