Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Rocky Mountain Element 19" - sizing help ? ? ?

Hello,

I have the option to buy a 2009 Rocky Mountain Element 50 in a 19" size but I'm wondering about sizing.... I am 5'11" with kind of long legs but a shorter torso and was wondering if the 19" frame would fit me. The top tube of 23.62" looks on paper to be all right for me. There are no Rocky Mountain dealers near to me so I would have to rely on your feedback to make this work. It certainly seems like these bikes get great reviews so I am pretty excited about maybe buying this bike! I race a little and will be doing some 24 hour events in the coming year and this looks to be great set-up for me.

I appreciate your thoughts and opinions - thank you

Nick

ups and downs
    What's the HTT length on your current bike? Top tube length is just about the most important fit criteria, seatposts you can adjust, but it's hard to fix a bike that's too long or too short.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I ride an 19 inch Element I am 5-11 with a 32 inch inseam....

The seat is extended about midway....and the seat is near the back of the rails.

Elements tend to have a smallish cockpit.

mtbr member
    The 19 should be a good size for you, I am also 5'11" and about 33" inseam, I am currenlty on an 18" frame and I should really be selling it off and buying a 19"
    My bike is great for shorter races and playing with my friends, I like the smaller bike for handeling but I think I could be more comfortable on a bigger frame for long races. I have done a few 8 hour races on it and by the end of the day my back is pretty sore.
    plus the longer TT would keep you with a shorter stem, I think the All mountain guys have it right with the short stems I find that they handle way better.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Im 6ft exactly and I ride the 19" Element 50 and it fits me very well...It's a great bike, im sure you wont be dissapointed, I've thrown it at most of the best Trail Centres in Wales and never felt like I needed more...It's light, well equipped and comfortable...

mtbr member
    Does anyone my size (5'11") ride a 20.5" frame?

ups and downs
    Unless you have an unusually long torso and arms, that may not be comfortable. The 20.5" frame has a 620mm (24.4") HTT.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads-up!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    if u dont mind what is price range, I just posted 2250 asking at my lbs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Unless you have an unusually long torso and arms, that may not be comfortable. The 20.5" frame has a 620mm (24.4") HTT.
    bumpity bump

The long torso/arms vs legs seems to describe my build at 5'11", 32" inseam. I have had an 18" Team Sc (80mm travel) for several years, ridden/raced it extensively, but always felt it is small for me. I have a Thompson set-back seatpost with the saddle mounted back almost as far as possible plus a 130mm stem. FWIW, I have a Giant Trance X1 (size large, 24.0"/610mm HTT, 100mm stem) that is my go-to trail bike. I would really like to get a race bike with a more stable DH position as this one has always given me considerable pucker factor on steep descents. My top 2 choices are a 2011 Giant AnthemX (24.2"/615mm HTT) or a gently used 2009 Element Team (size 20.5", 24.4"/620mm HTT). Either of these would get a stem in the 80-100mm range.

Any thoughts on fit and/or comparison between those two bikes?

// edit to add: I know the true test would be to test ride each but no dealer within a 3hr drive stocks anything resembling a race bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I think that will work for you. I'm 5'10" with a 33.5" inseam and ride the 18" Great fit for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Guys - at 6'2" with a 33 inseam and long monkey arms are you thinking 20.5 or 19 on the MSL? Already bugged Alex for his thoughts but curious what you guys are riding.

-Shane

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

5'10"

I'm 5'10" and I ride the new 19 which has a 23.8 tt and it's awesome! I run a 80mm stem and it fits amazing. I can't say enough good things about this bike. Get the 19 yuo will be happy with it for sure. The shorter stem makes it handle awesome on the rougher, steeper stuff as well/

ups and downs
    6'-2" you're quite likely going to be wanting the 20.5" unless you have short arms or torso. I'm 6-1" and the 19" is just right, the 20.5" frame HTT is 25mm longer than the 19" @ 605mm HTT.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by seleniak View Post
    Guys - at 6'2" with a 33 inseam and long monkey arms are you thinking 20.5 or 19 on the MSL? Already bugged Alex for his thoughts but curious what you guys are riding.

-Shane
    5-11 32 inseam....long arms I ride the 19....you need the 20.5

mtbr member
    I think I'm on the very edge, but I have a 2006 Element 19" and I'm 6'3". Yeah, most people would say I'm too tall for it but it fits me fine.. I think any taller though would need the next size up. You should be just fine.

ups and downs
    Proper bike fit is tightly related to the effective top tube length and there can be lots of variations in personal preference as a result.

The seat post telescopes where the top tube doesn't, these days 'nad clearance isn't an issue, especially on a sloping or curved top tube bike.

If you have to start going to stem lengths longer than 100mm or setback seatposts with lots of offset you can shoehorn yourself onto a smaller bike, but stem length and seatpost setback can really impact the handling and weight distribution on the bike, and the relationship between your body and the pedals.

It's worthwhile crunching through the numbers on one of the online fit calculators if you're outside the normal parameters for leg, arm or torso length, or better yet get a proper bike fit done.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks rockyuphill. Have played with the usual tools but historically find I can make either size work but that on some bikes smaller is better and on others longer is better. Was more looking for input/color on what people are running who are happy with the handling and weight distribution and whether you guys are sizing up or down given all the variables. Challenge is I was able to play with one that was too small when I was back home on vacation in Canmore and loved it in general but all my local shops in Norcal carry it as a "special order" and have not really sold many or fitted anyone to them so they are just doing the same paper exercise I am. Normally shy away from buying an online frame I can't demo but was really impressed with it.

ups and downs
    There's always those situations where you are exactly in between the two, if that's the case it will likely depend on whether climbing or descending is where you want the edge. A shorter HTT will tend to make it more comfortable descending as it lets you get your weight back further. The longer HTT will allow you to get your weight further forward and weight the front wheel and get up on top of the cranks on a steep climb.

The 20.5" MSL also has a 10mm taller head tube so the front end height also scales up. I find the bar height a little high on the 19" MSL, even running a wide flat bar, so I wouldn't want any higher front end.

When you were in Canmore did you ride the new 19" Element MSL? Those 19" frames have the 5mm longer HTT compared to the older alloy Elements so it will be a better fit than the previous year's 19" for a 6'-2" guy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks Rockyuphill.

Actually rode a 18" MSL with a really loong stem and lots of post that the guy at the Center had setup for himself (he was my height) thus my challenge in sizing as its hard to extrapolate to either the 19 or 20.5. On paper I would go 20.5 and a shorter stem based on ETT but riding the 18 left me thinking that a 19 with a 100mm works thus the question to you guys on whether to upsize or downsize for better handling on this bike. Again thanks for the help.

-Shane

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Rockyuphill - at 6'1" what length stem are you running on your 19" and did you need an offset post? Are you happy with the weight distribution on your 19"? Would you have a Reach number for the 19" MSL handy?

Thanks,
    Shane

ups and downs
    I'm running a 100m stem and a 700mm wide flat bar. The post on the MSL is the Race Face Next which has the same offset as the Race Face Deus which is either 12 or 15mm I believe.

I'm not sure what the Reach dimension would be, if you describe it I can measure it?

The bike is really nicely balanced, The only thing I'd like would be a zero rise stem to drop the bar height about 10mm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rocky Mountain Element 19" - sizing help ? ? ?-030-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thank you sir!

Looks like 12.7mm (0.5") from the website. Love your bike builds.

Reach is the horizontal distance from the center of the BB to the center of the headtube. It is "E" in this diagram

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1311894288

Cheers,
    Shane
    Attached Images Attached Images  

ups and downs
    On the 19" MSL's the reach measurement looks like 17" (1/8" range of error)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Perfect. Thanks. Which Headset are you running on your RSL (red cap in photos)? Confused between the threads saying Orbit CF-40 and the website saying Orbit CF-42. Any thoughts on the Enve bar, stem and seatpost?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast