mtbr member
    Sep 2013

New question here. Which Rocky Mountain Altitude (730 vs 750 msl)

Hello Community!
    I'm a German being in El Paso, Texas for a year and since the mountains here a great for mtb riding I decided to get one. Was originally looking on the KHS 5500 2014 (local dealer made a nice offer) but it will come out spring next year and I don't want to wait that long.
    So I started a long research and decided that the Rocky Mountain would be a nice option for me.
    Sadly there is no local Rocky Mountain Dealer, so I have to order it online. Since I'm 6'3" with long legs and arms I would need a xl frame (or L if you tell me they come out bigger than usual and would fit me).
    JensonUSA.com currently has 2 nice offers for the 750msl and the 730. I need your help to decide! Please tell me about your experiences with these bikes! I really like the fox suspension and the vario seat post in the 750msl. Carbon is really cool too but I heard that the weight difference is not too big and I wouldn't care about a few grams more it's not too much of a big deal. Is the roxshox suspension worse than the fox suspension (would you feel the difference). I always wanted to get fox suspension lol
    Is the carbon 750 worth the extra $ in comparison to the 730?
    Other important question : do you now better online stores to afford these bikes or a 750 aluminium my size (I think that's my favorite).

Thanks for your help folks,
    Robert

ups and downs
    At 6'-3" you would definitely want an XL frame. The 750 MSL frame has an alloy rear triangle so isn't as light as the 770 MSL with the carbon rear triangle, but it is likely most of 450gms lighter than the 730 frame. The all carbon MSL frame is about 2350gms (5.18 pounds) with shock, the 750 MSL frame should be around 2550gms (5.6 pounds) and the 730 frame is likely closer to 6.5 pounds.

The component spec difference alone is worth the price difference between the 730 and 750 MSL. If you can afford the difference, the upgrade is worth it. If you have to abuse your credit card for the upgrade, maybe monetary responsibility would prevail.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I am 6'4 and ride a 2xl 950 element. Perfect seize for me.

mtbr member
    I cannot find which type of Fox forks are on the 750 MSL, but if it's the Evolution series, I would go with the Rockshox suspension any day. I have that Fox fork on my Enduro and it plain sucks. If it's the more expensive Performance series, it's ok. But it sure looks suspiciously like the evolution series on the pictures (specs just say Fox 34 Float CTD) and it sure isn't the Factory series with their Kashima coated inner legs. But anyways, I would look into upgrading the fork to a pair of Rockshox Pike's, because that's the current must-have fork for this type of bike.

mtbr member
    I have the 730 and have upgraded the parts until I'm happy. It's an option for you as well. The Pike fork is an awesome fork for the Altitude BTW. I've been riding with a Pike on my bike for a few weeks now.