mtbr member
    May 2011

Rocky Mountain Altitude 70RSL Carbon FRM opinions?

I am considering this frame, but I haven't read much of any bad reviews, so I was wondering what are your unbiased thoughts on this particular frame? Any and all experiences will be appreciated.

ups and downs
    Solid and super stiff frame, climbs great, pedals really well. If it doesn't have the Fox RP23 with the Boost Valve it tends to be harsh over square edge bumps. The Boost Valve fixes that.

The OEM RP23 Boost Valve shock order number is 972-75-033 and the aftermarket version is 972-90-045
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thank you for the info! I do have another question, but how well do they stand by their product? For instance a hairline crack developes, are they willing to work or is it all dependant on the dealer where you purchased from?

ups and downs
    You have to be the original owner, you have to have the original receipt, and then they will look after you. without those two things there is no warranty.

Subject to Whimsy
    Dec 2009
    Good luck trying to crack that frame, very robust build.
    I smacked mine around quite a bit, took pieces out of it but no cracks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Solid and super stiff frame, climbs great, pedals really well. If it doesn't have the Fox RP23 with the Boost Valve it tends to be harsh over square edge bumps. The Boost Valve fixes that.

The OEM RP23 Boost Valve shock order number is 972-75-033 and the aftermarket version is 972-90-045
    Rocky,

What is the best way to order the RP23 with the Boost Valve for my Altitude 70RSL?...just quote the above numbers to a bike shop? will it have the "custom" tuning? My stock shock needs a rebuild and I figure easier to get a new one if it improves the ride.

Thanks Skya

ups and downs
    The part number specs the valving for rebound, compression, Pro Pedal and Boost Valve settings. Apparently the difference between the OEM and aftermarket was the weight of the valve assembly.

The new CTD valving for the 2013 shocks will likely throw all the old numbers out, so the easiest thing is likely just provide the brand and model of bike and Fox will pull out the right number from their database.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I do have a question, I noticed the front derailleur is like glued to the frame...if I ever want to run a 1X9 or 1X10 drivetrain, is it possible to remove all front dérailleur components?

ups and downs
    You can remove the front derailleur but it would not be a good idea to try to remove the derailleur mount, as there is a high likelihood you may take a piece of the frame with it, they would be epoxied and riveted to the frame. If you run 1x9 or 1x10 you will want a place to mount one of these MRP 1x D-Mount chainguides