mtbr member

Rockshox Monarch Rt operation(?)

I didnt get any manuals for the RT that is on my 2012 950 Element 29r and have no idea how to operate the controls on this .
    The Rockshox website only supplies overhaul PDF's on their site .
    Nothing on how the Flood Gate lever works or its settings .
    My last bike had a Fox RP3 with a 3 position lever .
    I think this RT has 7(?) postions
    Google searches dont help either .
    Any insight would be greatly appreciated .

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The platform knob works similar to the Fox you are familiar with. Dialing up the threshold will increase the size bump necessary to "break through" the platform and compress. The biggest difference from the Fox is that it isn't intended to be flipped on/off during a ride. You set it where you like it and leave it, which is why there is a finer adjustment range and not a "quick flip" lever with on/off positions.

Good luck and enjoy the new ride!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hi all.

Bringing this thread back as I just purchased my first FS mtb and it has the monarch rt shock. Can someone explain a liitle bit more on how the two dials (red/gold) work?

tia

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    The platform knob works similar to the Fox you are familiar with. Dialing up the threshold will increase the size bump necessary to "break through" the

platform and compress. The biggest difference from the Fox is that it isn't intended to be flipped on/off during a ride. You set it where you like it and leave it, which is why there is a finer adjustment range and not a "quick flip" lever with on/off positions.
    Actually I find the Monarch better to use on the fly than the RP23. With the RP 23 you have to pre-set your platform and then decide whether you want that platform on or off. If you want a different platform its definately a stop the ride kind of adjustment.

With the Monarch you feel for the smaller knob and turn either all the way to the right for minimal platform/gate, all the way to the left for full platform or anywhere in between. I find it just as quick as the RP23 switch with the added benefit of having multiple platform as the situation dictates.

The gold knob labelled gate is the platform, rotating it in arrow direction increases platform or stiffens it. The red knob is the rebound and adjusts how much rebound the shock provides after a bump.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for explaining how it's used Dr.

Is there a proper way to set it up?

mtbr member
    Setting the rebound depends on the rider weight and what they are looking for. Generally you want to be able to ride your rear tire off a curb with only one return bounce/rebound.