mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Are RM's Wheeltech Hubs really this bad? Now What?

Hey guys/gals, I am i So Cal and have a 2012 element 930 with four months/400 miles on it and the rear whelltech xc hub just blew ( loud pop/snap and now freewheels) stranding me in nowwhere land. I have been riding over 20 years and have never had that happen
    I contacted RM and they referred me to my online dealer in Canada( yes, I prefer LBS but i purchased late in year and no one had them). I am getting the run around so warranty looks bleak. Maybe RM will step up?

Questions: Is this hub even worth going through the hassle of warranty? I will have to pay shipping to Canada,wheel re-build,etc. Maybe i just got unlucky but I don't have much faith now. How does a hub on a $2500 bike fail so quick?

My gut tells me just to upgrade the whole wheel which i planned to do in a year or so but just now catching back up from bike purchase. I am also unhappy to be "forced" into an upgrade four months into ownerwship. I need the 12x142 rear. If I can only buy the rear right now, what hub/wheel do you guys recommend? I read up on other forums and know there are millions answers but do i go with pre-built ( like dt swiss tricon or find builder? I could swing around $400. Opinions on my course of action?

Thanks

ups and downs
    Freehubs do fail for various reasons, luckily it wasn't a $1300 XTR wheelset, Shimano have decided they won't warranty their $250 titanium freehubs when they explode.

A lot of hubs can be near their limit with 29" wheels and big cassettes and high torque riders. A custom rear wheel with a rim of your choice and a DT Swiss 350 or 240S hub (with Star Ratchet system) would be solid, same with something like a Hope Pro 2 Evo (although noisier). The DT hubs are a breeze to service, they come apart without tools to lube the star ratchet, and they last a long time.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Mine failed too . . . . after two weeks. I agree with Rocky, go with a DT 350 and a solid rim (mine is a wtb i23). Not too expensive and has been solid. Check on Ebay and see if you can find a deal, though it might be hard to find the 12x142. Why warranty something that will blow again? Hey RM, the rear hub is not a place to skimp! Can't really fix it out on the trail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Rockyuphill, i sure appreciate your insight, my research has pointed me in that same direction ( those 2 hubs ,350 and hope) but it is nice to hear if from you as well.
    I have seen some sets on line with WTB I23 on line. I have the stock RS recon gold fork up front. do you know the spacing on the 20mm thru axle. i have seen 20mm x 100 , 110,120 and don't know what I have.

ups and downs
    All 20mm axle hubs are all the same 110mm width, and those are different from 15mm x 100mm front hubs. The DT 350 oversize front hubs are convertible to any axle format

Universal Cycles -- DT Swiss 350 6 Bolt Disc Front Hub

BTW, it's critical that you use the 6 bolt oversize 350 hub, the center lock version only converts between 9mm and 15mm.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Two local shops have had rocky send them new hubs and the shops were switching them out on demo and sales bikes. The hubs are horrible, ive seen 5-6 broken rear hubs now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Hey rodeoj, curious if you know, was Rocky replacing them with a different type of hub or a new variation of the same hub?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The replacements are heavier, that much I remember. Still wheeltech.