Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

RM Recommend lubing ABC bushings now?

My lbs tells me that RM is now recommending that ABC bushings be lubed with Sram Jonnisnot. Anyone know about this?

ups and downs
    I always check the German distributor bikeaction.de website for tech data, they keep their tech section up to date. They haven't posted anything new regarding the ABC bushings. The 2013 tech manual section they have posted still reads...

Lubrication

All IGUS bushings are a dry fit installation and function. They require NO grease or oil to
    install or function. Only after washing with water should the bushing area be sprayed
    lightly with WD-40 to disperse water, and then wiped clean to prevent dirt buildup.
    Caution: prolonged exposure to water can cause the bushings to swell.

It will be interesting to see if there have been service bulletins sent out to dealers in particular climates (really dry or really wet) that haven't been posted on the German website.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Yeah, I checked there first. It would be nice to see it in writing somewhere.
    Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I keep mine lubed with a really fine film of Mobile 1 grease.
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b Belt Drive

wheelie king
    Quote Originally Posted by KThaxton View Post
    My lbs tells me that RM is now recommending that ABC bushings be lubed with Sram Jonnisnot. Anyone know about this?
    The demo rep told me the same thing. Use a light coat of SRAM Jonnisnot.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks, it's always good to hear it from more than one source.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    What other alternatives to jonnisnot are there - I use Rock'n'roll red stuff elsewhere on my bike, would this be similar?
    Rocky Mountain 2003 Hammer, 2009 Vertex 70 RSL, 2012 Element 970
    2012 Wilier Triestina Gran Turismo

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I won't pretend to be the authority on this but my thoughts are....you'd want to use a grease, not a liquid lube, and further, I think you'd want to use something that is designed for use with metal and composites, like Jonnisnot. Some lube's solvent could degrade the polymer material of the bushings.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I won't pretend to be the authority on this but my thoughts are....you'd want to use a grease, not a liquid lube, and further, I think you'd want to use something that is designed for use with metal and composites, like Jonnisnot. Some lube's solvent could degrade the polymer material of the bushings.
    Any updates on this?
    It would be nice to have an intermediate option when chasing down the perpetual creaking before succumbing to the $150 bushing replacement which still might not solve anything.
    I'm thinking about WD40 vs silicone spray vs Slick Honey.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Bel-Ray waterproof grease for the Win. You can grab a tub at your local motorsports shop for a few $$. Their demo guy turned me on to this and it works awesome - bike is silent and has been for a few months now

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I was told they recommend lube now especially for Pacific Northwest/North Shore conditions. I rode all winter so I figured I'd take a peek at the rear end. The bushings were a bit discolored but not worn...good to see. I took apart all the rear bushings and put a bit of Slick Honey on them. They also suggest Judy Butter?

Anyway, it has to be something that won't harm the material of the bushings.

Although to be honest I now see more dirt sticking around the bushing locations - a concern I heard raised before - so we'll see how that shakes out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've tried WD-40 and it doesn't seem to be working at all. I think I'll try the Slick Honey, unless you all think something else is working better. Living in Florida, every day it rains and I feel water gets in the pivots when driving home. Also do I have to take the pivots completely out or can I just loosen it to lube it up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    And for Italy or at least Europe wich kind of oil or grease? I've tried paraffine oil given with a needle siringe for some months but now it'isnt enough...any advice?
    Regards
    Ernesto

ups and downs
    It would need to be a very low viscosity synthetic type grease that isn't water soluble , so something like Johnny Snot shifter lube, Judy Butter or Slick Honey. It's primary function is going to be keeping muddy water out of the bushings. WD-40 is primarily a water displacer and not a lube so that and any sort of penetrating oil won't help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by edibetta View Post
    And for Italy or at least Europe wich kind of oil or grease? I've tried paraffine oil given with a needle siringe for some months but now it'isnt enough...any advice?
    Regards
    Ernesto
    Ernesto,
    I'll be in Torbole riding Garda from about July 27-August 9. I just got a tub of Bel Ray Waterproof Grease which contains about 10x more than I'll ever use. If you'll be around there I could maybe smuggle some in for you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Ernesto,
    I'll be in Torbole riding Garda from about July 27-August 9. I just got a tub of Bel Ray Waterproof Grease which contains about 10x more than I'll ever use. If you'll be around there I could maybe smuggle some in for you.
    Hi thanks!
    My email is: ernestodibetta at gmail.com
    when you are in Torbole let inform me maybe we can ride toghether somewhere in Tremalzo ! I should work in those days but maybe I can have half day free!
    Regards
    Ernesto

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    It would need to be a very low viscosity synthetic type grease that isn't water soluble , so something like Johnny Snot shifter lube, Judy Butter or Slick Honey. It's primary function is going to be keeping muddy water out of the bushings. WD-40 is primarily a water displacer and not a lube so that and any sort of penetrating oil won't help.
    Should I use loctite on screws after greasing?
    Regards
    Ernesto

ups and downs
    Yes, and you want to use the 243 (blue) Loctite that they recommend for large and small fasteners. Because the pivots rotate, there is always a chance that the bolts can ratchet loose if they weren't at the spec torque with Loctite, and that could result is losing a bolt that would strand you on the trail somewhere.

This is from the 2014 Tech Manual, they are officially recommending greasing the IGUS bushing

http://www.bikeaction.de/media/pdf/2...t_MS_FInal.pdf

Lubrication

All IGUS bushing exterior surfaces shall be greased. Grease is also required where the bolt
    contacts metal such as a bearing or the frame.

After washing with water the bushing area should be sprayed lightly with WD-40 to disperse
    water, wiped clean to prevent dirt buildup and then re-greased. Caution: prolonged exposure to
    water can cause the bushings to swell.

Hardware and Torque Specification:

All custom hardware (alloy thru-bolts, screws, and nuts) requires the use of LOCTITE 243 (blue) a
    medium strength thread-lock. The torque specification unless otherwise stated is 100 to 110
    in*lbs or 11.3 to 12.4 Nm.

Non custom hardware (steel bolts) requires the use of LOCTITE 243 (blue), a medium strength
    thread-lock. The torque specification unless otherwise stated is 60 to 80 in*lbs or 6.7 to 9.0 Nm

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    A couple of months ago I emailed Rocky to get some advice on how to improve small bump compliance. They made a couple comments about greasing as a side note. Here is the pertinent part:

"Have you been riding all through the 8 months that you have owned your Altitude? Have you brought it into the dealer that you purchased it from to have the bike checked over since it has been purchased to make sure everything is running well? Applying a light film of Bel-ray waterproof grease to the surface of the bushings might return the bike’s small bump sensitivity. Please take your bike into your local Rocky Mountain Bicycles dealer and have them check the pivots to make sure the hardware is in good condition and if they could use to be greased."

If I am understanding this correctly, it sounds like greasing is recommended and using Bel Ray on the bushings might be the way to go.

chips & bier
    Good this is now official. Next step: zerks for those of us living and riding in the slop!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Can anyone translate this or know where to get an English version?
    http://www.bikeaction.de/media/pdf/T...r_MAI_2014.pdf

Danke schoen

ups and downs
    It's a note saying the new 2014 tech manual is available. As is a new 12mm thru axle and adapter from Tune.de, plus the source for a flush cutter for zip ties so they won't slice you up. But a set of nail clippers work nicely for that

Can anyone translate this or know where to get an English version?
    http://www.bikeaction.de/media/pdf/T...r_MAI_2014.pdf

Danke schoen

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbum1 View Post
    A couple of months ago I emailed Rocky to get some advice on how to improve small bump compliance.
    My advice: Get a Rockshox Monarch Plus. It will improve small bump compliance, medium bump compliance, will give you a firmer and more consistent pedaling platform and will make the bike feel bottomless on big hits.
    And the grease will help with creaking.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    So we are talking about part #18 in the manual (instinct), that is the one that now gets grease? Will Phil wood waterproof grease work?

ups and downs
    Essentially both sides of the beige ABC Igus bushings would get some waterproof grease on them. Phil Woods should work well. Should make it easier to assemble everything as well, it's quite sticky.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast