mtbr member
    Jul 2013

RM ETSX - 50 or Element 10

I'm looking into these two bikes (both used and in very good shape) the ETSX 50 is 2009 and the Element is 2010 model, which one do you suggest me to buy? I like XC with a little bit of enduro (small jumps and drops, nothing to crazy)

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Tough choice, It really depends what you put more value on. The XC part or the enduro part.

ups and downs
    The ETS-X50 will have a higher BB, so if obstacle clearance is a problem it will leap tall logs better, but the Element 10 will rail corners much faster. The pedal feedback quality is almost identical (almost none).
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member

RE: RM ETSX - 50 or Element 10

Based on XC with a little enduro...Element all the way.
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thank you guys for all your answers, so you are telling me that the ETSX50 is more for enduro and the Element for XC?

ups and downs
    More or less, if BB clearance is really important to the way you ride, the ETSX has the advantage. Mind you, the ETSX will be a 2008 at the latest, that was the last year of production. 2009 saw the Altitude 26" introduced to replace the ETSX.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfonsoBarraza View Post
    Thank you guys for all your answers, so you are telling me that the ETSX50 is more for enduro and the Element for XC?
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    To be honest i think the element does both xc and enduro better. I would slot the ETSX a little further down the spectrum towards a trail bike, whatever that means to some people. The element will be so much more efficient that it will feel better even for the longer rides. As RU says if the trails are hairier then ETSX will have the edge not only in bb but suspension, but that wasn't really the picture you were painting.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    If its a choice between a used Element and a used ETSX we would be negligent if we didn't point out that the ETSX has a pretty significant tendency towards developing cracks on the seat tube. My personal experience includes 4 ETSX frames that all needed to be retired due to this problem. Element definitely seems like the safer of those two choices.