mtbr member
    Jul 2005

RM Element Carbon Frame Internal Cabling Routing Plug Issue

Has anyone had a problem with the alloy plug for internal cable routing corroding and expanding? My mate's plug as corroded and expanded in the frame, cracking the carbon in the process.

See attached pic. He is also having trouble getting cooperation from the local distributor. Would this be a valid warranty claim? He's bought the bike new from a Rocky dealer about 12 months ago.

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RM Element Carbon Frame Internal Cabling Routing Plug Issue-rocky-plug.jpg  

ups and downs
    That's weird, are you guys close to the coast? I've never seen that sort of raw aluminium corrosion except near salt water (or where the roads are salted to melt ice). It would be worth emailing the photo to Rocky if the distributor isn't responding, they will be interested in seeing the problem.

In my carbon Instinct frame, I greased the o-ring and exterior of that plug to make it easier to get the plug out later, that would help inhibit major aluminium oxide growth.

Generally rust and corrosion wouldn't be covered under bike warranties (although that generally applies to the steel frames).

The good thing is that if it isn't covered under warranty, a crack there shouldn't jeopardize the frame integrity, it could be fixed up with some epoxy.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    We live in the northern beaches of Sydney in Australia, so yes, relatively close to the beach. The weird thing is I've been riding an alloy 2012 Element 970 for 18 months with the same plug and I've had no issues.

All I can think of is that my frame plug is painted black and my friends was raw aluminum.

The other issue is that we can't seem to remove it from the frame and we're afraid we will crack the frame even more.

Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    That's weird, are you guys close to the coast? I've never seen that sort of raw aluminium corrosion except near salt water (or where the roads are salted to melt ice). It would be worth emailing the photo to Rocky if the distributor isn't responding, they will be interested in seeing the problem.

In my carbon Instinct frame, I greased the o-ring and exterior of that plug to make it easier to get the plug out later, that would help inhibit major aluminium oxide growth.

Generally rust and corrosion wouldn't be covered under bike warranties (although that generally applies to the steel frames).

The good thing is that if it isn't covered under warranty, a crack there shouldn't jeopardize the frame integrity, it could be fixed up with some epoxy.

ups and downs
    You definitely want to dissolve the aluminium oxide to help free it up. A small amount of ammonia will do that, just like removing an alloy seatpost from a frame. I'm not sure how carbon fibre reacts to ammonia, but generally the bonding agent in CF is fairly chemical resistant. It might be worth testing a bit of ammonia on some other carbon fibre thing first. After the ammonia has had a chance to dissolve the aluminium oxide, some thin chain lube should be able to seep in around the perimeter. Then you need a hook that go into the centre opening and likely need something like a pair of vice grips to make a slide hammer of sorts to tap and pull it outward.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada