mtbr member
    Aug 2011

RM Element 970 RSL - 24-38 to 22-32-42

Hi Everyone,

Making a change on a 2013 970 RSL XXL custom (re-)build. The bike came to me with a Race Face Turbine triple set up as 24-38-Tabs and a Shimano FD-M785 (2x10 front der). I need more help on the climbs (older and slower and w/ gobs of titanium holding me together).

This is the change. Will it bite me on the behind? FD-M780-A-E (on ebay for $26.50) and a Race Face Turbine 180mm triple (too good a deal to pass up .. all my bikes are 180mm).

Front shifter is not a problem. Main thing is that I am hoping that when the M785 comes off, the M780 bolts right on. I expect the brilliant shifting to suffer. As far as I can tell from online docs and this forum, I should be OK. No special RM hardware required?

I don't see much chatter re: a 22T small chainring on this amazing XC bike. Not too worried. Help me past the wee bit of concern that has me afraid to make the swap ... until the next really, really wet day in the Bay Area.

Thanks!

ups and downs
    Are you using a Turbine 9 speed triple or 10 speed triple? If it's a 9 speed triple it might hang onto the 10 speed chain a bit harder when you're in the extreme ends of the cassette. In the middle of the cassette shouldn't be a big problem.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Are you using a Turbine 9 speed triple or 10 speed triple? If it's a 9 speed triple it might hang onto the 10 speed chain a bit harder when you're in the extreme ends of the cassette. In the middle of the cassette shouldn't be a big problem.
    10 sp triples being swapped. The crankset change amounts to longer arms (175mm to 180mm) and these ring swaps: 24->22, 38->32 and Tabs->42.

So .. a 22T chainring? Not so much a problem? The front der.? No big deal?

Thanks!

ups and downs
    The 22T chainring might cause the chain to rub on the derailleur cage on occasion as the 10 speed FD's are optimized for 24T. I didn't know you could get a 22T 10 speed chainring?

kabouterclan member
    Jun 2006
    Changing the 24 to a 22 was the first thing I did to my FC-M980 crankset. I used a 9 speed M970 ring. Shifts fine with the XT M880 FD, and no rubbing. I think you’ll be fine with a similar RF setup if . Just lower your FD as much as possible
    Sent from my HAL 9000

chips & bier

... and if we just ...

Hi Rainking,

I ran a 44/32/22 on my MSL when I first got it (sold the Deore 10-speed group off in favor of 9s RaceFace/GripShift kit I still had). I've since converted it to 2x10 22-36 and 24-38 chainring combos, depending on the terrain.

The M785 double derailleur bolts onto the chain-drop plate on the swingarm (or is it the other way around?) and the M780 has the exact same fit, so simply swapping the two sould be all that is required.

Running a 22t will be fine (both my 9s triple + M780 and 10s double + M785 have no chainrub), even though Shimano specs 24t grannies. I suspect your shifting will actually improve: my XTR 24-38 setup w/ M785 derailleur (switched the stock 26 granny....) is way more finicky than the worn RaceFace triple I had with the M780.

The M780 can cope with 42 to 44 tooth rings if I recall correctly: set the new derailleur in the lowest position available. There's a tiny oval bush that slots into the back of the derailleur's mounting bracket. It allows for a 'high' and a 'low' position.

@Lars: RM Elements/Altitudes/etc. have E-type/S3 derailleur mounts on the chainstay, so not much raising/lowering to be done there apart from switching the oval bush around.

This would be clearer with pictures - maybe RockyUphill has something on hand

ups and downs
    I'm running a Race Face Next SL 9s triple on my Instinct 999 MSL (largely because I had that drivetrain on hand and it was nice and light, but mostly because I too need that 22T granny with 29" wheels.). And I am using a direct mount 9 speed XT FD so it matches up well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Great information everyone! I was quite concerned that there would be a surprise or two involved in replacing the fr. der and swapping in the 22T chainring. The crankset arrived (10sp 22-32-42). The derailleur? The US Postal Service has it. Maybe I will see it tomorrow (Friday) and swap the parts over the weekend. I might take pics. At the very least, I will post back after riding the bike.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

G-d bless 22T

Thread bump.

The swap was simple. Setting up the new front derailleur did not take along at all. No surprises. I set the clearance for the big ring at about a dime's depth. Shifting was excellent.

Pavement only until the rain stops (among other things). Looks like a smart move for me to have a 22x36 granny gear.

Thanks all.