Lemmy Rules!

Retro Time: 1992 Blizzard restoration

Hey everyone, I acquired a 1992 Blizzard last year from a work colleague who needed to shed a few bikes. It needed some love but was mechanically and structurally sound. As the Blizzard was the bike I wanted but couldn't afford when I started riding in the early 90's, it was a no-brainer to restore it to its former glory. I rode it before taking the parts off and getting the frame re-painted, and although the canti brakes and thumb shifters were an adjustment, I can honestly say that it does not ride like a 20 year old bike.

The photographs of the bike with the all-white frame show the bike in the condition it was when it came home with me. Since then, I have cleaned and polished all the components to within an inch of their lives (fortunately, nothing needs replacing - the bike was apparently never ridden on dirt and was mostly used for commuting - tragic!) and have got the frame repainted. The new decals came from Gil_M, whom I found on retrobike.com and who has a thriving business making vintage decals. He had the decals shipped to me from England, where he lives, within a week of me making contact. Gil rocks.

A word on the paint job. The bike was re-painted at Velocolour in Toronto by a certain Noah Rosen, who is an artist. Period. And yes, I know that the maple leaf black-to-white fade didn't come until later models of the Blizzard, but I always liked the way it looked so much that I had to do it! And Noah took it to another level - he used actual maple leaves for the stencil. The photographs do not do the paint job complete credit - it has to be seen in person to be believed.

So anyway, what was a fun winter project took on a bit of a life of its own and went way, way, way over budget. I hope everyone enjoys the photographs. I will post more once the bike is built up.

Retro Time:  1992 Blizzard restoration-img_9253.jpgRetro Time:  1992 Blizzard restoration-img_9259.jpgRetro Time:  1992 Blizzard restoration-img_9266.jpgRetro Time:  1992 Blizzard restoration-oakville-20121124-00010.jpgRetro Time:  1992 Blizzard restoration-oakville-20121124-00011.jpgRetro Time:  1992 Blizzard restoration-img_9420.jpgRetro Time:  1992 Blizzard restoration-img_9418.jpgRetro Time:  1992 Blizzard restoration-img_9486.jpgRetro Time:  1992 Blizzard restoration-img_9487.jpgRetro Time:  1992 Blizzard restoration-img_9488.jpgRetro Time:  1992 Blizzard restoration-img_9489.jpg
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member

Retro Time: 1992 Blizzard restoration

Beautiful bike, love the fade

mtbr member
    Nice. It looks like a ... Rocky. Are you putting retro parts on it or modern?

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    Nice. It looks like a ... Rocky. Are you putting retro parts on it or modern?
    Retro. That makes the most sense for aesthetic reasons and also because a 1992 frame has certain limitations, such as no disc mounts and a 1" head tube. Fortunately all of the original parts that came on the bike are somewhere between good and serviceable condition. I have spent the winter polishing and cleaning them. It'll need new inner tubes and cables but beyond that, original all the way.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Nice restoration. It's fun to rebuild a piece of history.

mtbr member
    Nice looking bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Very nicely done! I can imagine you like the ride. I have a couple of Blizzards, also similar to yours a '92 Blizzard and I actually think it rides better, more pure than the later 2003 Blizzard I own. The paintjob is a piece of art for sure. Even though I'm not a fan of repaints, I think for this one it was the only option you had and the maple leafs came out fantastic!

Are you sure on the 1" headtube? Mine has a standard 1.1/8" headtube which was at that time more or less common on steel Rockies.

Gil M made for me the exact set of decals

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by troje View Post
    Very nicely done! I can imagine you like the ride. I have a couple of Blizzards, also similar to yours a '92 Blizzard and I actually think it rides better, more pure than the later 2003 Blizzard I own. The paintjob is a piece of art for sure. Even though I'm not a fan of repaints, I think for this one it was the only option you had and the maple leafs came out fantastic!

Are you sure on the 1" headtube? Mine has a standard 1.1/8" headtube which was at that time more or less common on steel Rockies.

Gil M made for me the exact set of decals
    Would love to see some pics of yours. Can you post?

Mine will be rolling by early next week...
    Strava made me do it....

I like bikes
    Awesome, can't wait to see the final result.

Lemmy Rules!
    It's going to be ready today. First ride will be after work tonight
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Retro Time:  1992 Blizzard restoration-image.jpg  

Strava made me do it....

I like bikes
    Awesome. Looks stellar. Where did you get the original Logo stickers?

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghglenn View Post
    Awesome. Looks stellar. Where did you get the original Logo stickers?
    I got a lead from a friend about a guy in the UK named Gil_M who does retro decal reproductions. If you go to the retrobike.uk site and search his name, you will come across him quite quickly. He charged $40 (cdn) including shipping, and the decals were in my hands within 10 days of me having made contact.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    Would love to see some pics of yours. Can you post?

Mine will be rolling by early next week...
    Here's mine. With small slick tyres on this pic as you can see. It has a Tange Struts fork that came with the frame that year, I'm surprised to see yours having a different one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    These decals?