mtbr member

Replacement ABC bearings (Element 970)

Where can I get a set of replacements? Looked around but nothing jumping out

The Element has only been with me a week, but I'm the kind to plan ahead

I live in the UK, but buying from US is of course a non-issue

Thanks

ups and downs
    The Rocky dealer is the only source, they come as a fairly pricey kit. Better to dismantle the bushings for service as often as the shock is scheduled for service to catch any wear before it gets through the bushings. The two key pivots are the ones with the o-ring seals.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Hmmm... the shop I bought the bike from said they would struggle to find them, and it may be better me sourcing them myself, although if push came to shove they would 'do their best' (read into that what you will)

Could I go to Rocky themselves in this instance do you think?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Our current policy is to go to the dealer, if you live more than 1.5 hours away we can sell direct or to a non-Rocky dealer. Since Evan's is not continuing with us for 2013 and there is no distributor in the UK we are open to direct shipments to the UK.

Bonesetter, I see an email from you regarding this, I will reply to that.
    Inside Sales
    Rocky Mountain Bicycles
    My current rides
    2012 Vertex 990 RSL
    2013 Element 999 RSL
    2012 Proto Solo CXR Disc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JPHcross View Post
    Our current policy is to go to the dealer, if you live more than 1.5 hours away we can sell direct or to a non-Rocky dealer. Since Evan's is not continuing with us for 2013 and there is no distributor in the UK we are open to direct shipments to the UK.

Bonesetter, I see an email from you regarding this, I will reply to that.
    Thanks Jeff - just replied to yours. Cheers

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JPHcross
    Since Evan's is not continuing with us for 2013
    A big yippee to the first part above

and there is no distributor in the UK
    but a definite groan to this second part!!

we are open to direct shipments to the UK.
    So, the obvious question now is how much will RM be charging for a direct shipment of a frame or bike to the UK/Ireland? And how is the pricing of the frame/bike worked out (is it a direct currency conversion from CAN$ or will there still be a STG£ price)?

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by DGB View Post
    So, the obvious question now is how much will RM be charging for a direct shipment of a frame or bike to the UK/Ireland? And how is the pricing of the frame/bike worked out (is it a direct currency conversion from CAN$ or will there still be a STG£ price)?
    I suspect he's referring to small parts, Rocky would likely be shipping frames and bikes direct to UK dealers rather than end users. On the plus side that would mean that dealers in North America could ship bikes to the UK.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Confirmed that we will only ship small parts direct to support the riders in the UK with our product.
    Inside Sales
    Rocky Mountain Bicycles
    My current rides
    2012 Vertex 990 RSL
    2013 Element 999 RSL
    2012 Proto Solo CXR Disc

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Well that sucks. Not an Evans fan, but had been making plans for a carbon element next year. Do you expect another distributor to step in, or does this mean no RM bikes coming to the UK for 2013 at least?

chips & bier
    It all else fails you might try through the German distributor and a shop there or in Netherlands (Netherlands has an agent for ze Germans: Peerke's Bike and Coffee - very helpful and knowledgeable place) who is willing to ship across the channel. I did the exact opposite when our original distributor folded.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Just browsing on ebay (U.K) and came across this, might be handy for future ref.

Rocky Mountain ETSX Frame Bearing Kit | eBay

ups and downs
    The ABC bushings are proprietary to Rocky, neither Igus or Daemar have them in their standard product line.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Soul View Post
    Just browsing on ebay (U.K) and came across this, might be handy for future ref.

Rocky Mountain ETSX Frame Bearing Kit | eBay
    I did see that myself, but didn't know what ETSX meant...?

My RM is an 2012 Element 970

ups and downs
    The ETS-X series ran from 2003 to 2008

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    It all else fails you might try through the German distributor and a shop there or in Netherlands (Netherlands has an agent for ze Germans: Peerke's Bike and Coffee - very helpful and knowledgeable place) who is willing to ship across the channel. I did the exact opposite when our original distributor folded.
    Yes, have thought about that sort of idea. I need to figure out sizing though as I sit right on the boundary of 17/18.5 sizes, so I still may need to pay Evans a visit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    The ETS-X series ran from 2003 to 2008
    Thanks, haven't come across bikepedia before

mtbr member
    May 2011
    if RM doesnt do you well, give TKO bearings a call, they pretty much got me ceramic bearings for my Altitude..much lighter and smoooottthh and cost isnt as bad as what you would think. Just need to get the specs on bearing size and such..and the rest is history. Maintenance on the bearings is fairly easy as well..just pop rubber seal off, toss in ultrasonic cleaner, clear out with compressed air, re-lube with some Bel-Ray grease and solid for another 2 seasons or so.

TKO Competition Development

ups and downs
    The OP actually means the bushings not the bearings. The bearings are the easy part.

mtbr member
    To be clear, Rocky have been very helpful and offered all that I could need for all the maintenance I'll need for a long while:

ABC bearings (12 in total)

Main pivot bushing (2 in total)

Main pivot bearings (2)

Der hanger

Bolt kit

Also the bearing kit, or specs so I can source local to me

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bonesetter2004 View Post
    To be clear, Rocky have been very helpful and offered all that I could need for all the maintenance I'll need for a long while:

ABC bearings (12 in total)

Main pivot bushing (2 in total)

Main pivot bearings (2)

Der hanger

Bolt kit

Also the bearing kit, or specs so I can source local to me
    Cool that RM is doing this. Can you disclose the approx costs?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    The OP actually means the bushings not the bearings. The bearings are the easy part.
    gotcha.

"Cool that RM is doing this. Can you disclose the approx costs? "

i too am kinda curious about the cost of bushings. Rocky Mountain hooked me up with a nice parts breakdown of my Altitude, so i am sure they could do the same for you guys. Rocky Mountain customer service has been awesome, especially considering i am dealing with customer service outside the USA...its crazy cause local dealers are far worst and i would never get a reply (Kona).

I do not foresee myself getting a new bike anytime soon, as i am totally geeked on my 2010 Altitude, but when i do..i know where i am going for sure!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

RM Bearings

I have a 2011 Slayer 50, charged £80 for rear igus bushing & all bolts from Rocky Mountain direct, pretty pricey i thought .( i`m in the UK)

mtbr member
    My Element 970 rear mech hanger (one) & bolt kit (5 pivot bolts & cap screws) has just arrived - £143 (227 USD, 227 Canadian). £23 of that was import duty to UK (Rocky had marked everything at full retail.), and $25 was shipping

RM need a UK supplier, they are currently without one. I guess we've been unlucky needing stuff while they are in limbo so to speak..

However, they also need a UK dealer who carries these kind of spares (unlike the just parted Evans who did not carry any spares and left it to the owner to source themselves).

This kind of thing sways folk who are trying to decide which bike to buy, especially in the UK or places without dealer back-up.

The package was posted from Rocky last Friday with DHL, and arrived today 4 working days later (7 total), which goes a long way in their favour tbf,

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I paid about £18 import duty on my gear from Rocky, shop that sold me the bike could not source my bearings and Evans were just as bad , just have to hope Rocky get sorted in the UK soon