mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Removing two sprockets and front derailleur on bc edition

Hi guys, just wanted some opinions. I ride mostly XC/trail. I am thinking of removing the smallest and biggest front sprocket as well as the front derailleur and shifter. I have ridden probably over 500 km's on my bc edition and have not even worn the paint of these two sprockets. So I'm thinking weight saving without compromise and better ground clearance. I could even maybe add two teeth to the remaining sprocket if needed. Would this be very different compared to srams 1 X 11? Any thoughts on the modification?

Thanks

mtbr member

Re: Removing two sprockets and front derailleur on bc edition

You'll probably need a chain guide or a single speed specific chainring to prevent dropping your chain every time you hit a bump.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

ups and downs
    You certainly could do that, but if you want to run that 1x10 reliably without a chainguide, then you'd want one of these Race Face chainrings. If you only use the standard chainring with shift ramps and pins, the chain will come off regularly. This ring is more like the SRAM 1x11.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    You certainly could do that, but if you want to run that 1x10 reliably without a chainguide, then you'd want one of these Race Face chainrings. If you only use the standard chainring with shift ramps and pins, the chain will come off regularly. This ring is more like the SRAM 1x11.
    Agreed. At least get a chainring (not a"sprocket") without shifting ramps and pins.

The SRAM 1x11 cassette has a (way) lower low and a higher high ratio than any 10-sp cassette.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

chips & bier
    Well, if you can get by with a single ring up front, by all means go for it. I'd recommend one of the Race Face rings mentioned previously, or a steel Surly ring (which is what I use on my Vertex as that's also my 'winter' bike). A clutch derailleur really goes a long way - I have one on all my bikes. I just converted my Vertex to a short-cage Shimano Zee (be sure to pick the 36t model though...) and it works like a charm! If you ride pretty brutal trails I'd comment keeping a chainguide up front as well. AFAIK E13 make the XCX in a SRAM S2 / Shimano E2 type mount to fit the Elemtn chainstay.

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Well, if you can get by with a single ring up front, by all means go for it. I'd recommend one of the Race Face rings mentioned previously, or a steel Surly ring (which is what I use on my Vertex as that's also my 'winter' bike). A clutch derailleur really goes a long way - I have one on all my bikes. I just converted my Vertex to a short-cage Shimano Zee (be sure to pick the 36t model though...) and it works like a charm! If you ride pretty brutal trails I'd comment keeping a chainguide up front as well. AFAIK E13 make the XCX in a SRAM S2 / Shimano E2 type mount to fit the Elemtn chainstay.
    The BC Edition already has a "clutch" RD.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Ideally you want a shorter cage RD too....
    Product Manager
    RMB
    Main Rides: 14 Proto - 13 Element RSL 29 - 13 Altitude MSL - 13 Prestige RSL

Quote Originally Posted by RMB-PM View Post
    Ideally you want a shorter cage RD too....
    But not required.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks guys, a lot of great info! Sorry about sprockets vs chainrings (retired motocross racer) I swapped the original rd for a shimano xt plus clutch. Sounds like maybe a Race
    Face 1x10 chainring might be a good set up (thanks again rockyuphill), I know the sram rear cassette has a wider spread of gears but I think I could make it work as I mostly use #3-#8 rear sprockets, so I might even increase the middle chain ring by a couple of teeth for that single speed.
    Thanks guys, any other comments r welcome