mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Raceface deus xc crank with front derailleur issues

I have a Raceface Deus Cranks (bought through clearance sale @ Jensen USA) installed on my 2001 Element Race and the bottom bracket is a 72 mm. I followed the instructions on the installation and use of the spacer on the drive side. It won't shift to the small inner chain ring. I reposition the derailleur and made high/low adjustment and it still won't shift to the smaller chain ring.
    I decided to remove the spacer from the drive side and it works??? I still have issues of derailleur/chain rub when I shift to the smallest cogs on the cassette when on the small chain ring.

What do I have now:

Deore LX low clamp, top pull.
    Raceface Deus XC 44,32,22 chain ring set up (standard @ purchase)
    X-type Standard bottom bracket

Replaced parts:

Raceface Prodigy 44,32,22
    Shimano BB UN54 bottom bracket.

Before I installed the new cranks, the prodigy cranks were setup more tighter towards the frame's bottom bracket drive side.

ups and downs
    The older derailleurs should have no problem getting to the new 50mm chainline from the older 47.5mm chainline. With the 2.5mm spacer on the drive side, where is the granny gear in comparison to the derailleur cage when the cable is disconnected? A macro photo from the top would help.

How old is the chain? If it's worn to the point where it bends too much to get kicked off the middle ring to the granny, then you likely need to replace the chain along with the cassette or you'll wear out your new Deus rings quickly
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Trying to pull off my Race Face Deus cranks right now. Took out the main bolt with 8mm hex. Do I need a special crank puller tool after that? They don't seem to want to budge. Newby pretend bike mechanic here.

ups and downs
    Depends on the vintage of RF Deus cranks, some had a self extracting crank bolt and some need a puller. If the 10mm socket cover over the 8mm bolt is heavy duty and threads in backwards, that's likely self extracting, if it's thin and light weight you need a crank puller. If you try to use the thin cover as a self extracting cover it will break in a half turn of the 8mm bolt, so it's easy to tell the difference.

http://www.parktool.com/product/cran...splined-cranks

Here's the instructions

http://raceface.com/instructions/CRA...E-Crankset.pdf

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks! Mine's off an 08 Trance X. Appears to require a puller that I don't have since I was told I didn't need one. A properly sized socket and hammer did the trick though. Got into this since I bought the bike used and there seemed to be more friction than I thought there should be. Looks like a new bottom bracket is my best bet. One bearing didn't feel too bad, but the other not so much.

ups and downs
    Buy an XTR for $40, they last much longer than the Race Face BB

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Sorry, I didn't get back. I'm in the middle of replacing the cassette and chain which would be schedule towards the end of the month with the employment schedule being crazy. I'm still using the old cassette and chain to test for shifting. I will post pics about the problem but I might think that I need to replace it with a KMC chain and a Shimano cassette. I don't like the SRAM set up for chain and cassette, got suckered in by the shop sales rep in Calgary.

For the bottom bracket, I'm thinking of going to the XTR route or the Phil Wood. If cash gets tight, might have to go to the XT route. I wonder if XT is still better than the RF bearings. I'm going to wear the RF bottom bracket until it gives me problems.

ups and downs
    The XT BB is only a few bucks less than the XTR.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Here's the pics, I think that I might need a 1-1.5 mm spacer. The Race Face issued spacer is 2.5 and its kind of giving me that small chain ring/ front derailleur issue in the first place. Currently, I have no spacer on the bottom bracket and have to get thinner spacers in order to get a proper chain line. I might have to pick one up at the local bike shop when I'm getting the new chain and cassette
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raceface deus xc crank with front derailleur issues-img_0073.jpg  

Raceface deus xc crank with front derailleur issues-img_0075.jpg  

Raceface deus xc crank with front derailleur issues-img_0076.jpg  

ups and downs
    There are two 1mm thick rubber washers that go on the Deus crank to allow adjustable chainline between 48-50mm, where have you got those located?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raceface deus xc crank with front derailleur issues-deus-crank-spacers.gif  

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Exactly mounted just like the diagram pictured, I'm gonna take it to REDBIKE or River Valley Cycle in Edmonton. I live outside of Edmonton and one of them resolve the problem.

ups and downs
    Is the front derailleur new or the original piece?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Its the original that came with the bike.

ups and downs
    It's a puzzler, hopefully the bike shop can sort it out.

The usual problem is that a new front derailleur gets installed on a bike with a 47.5mm chainline and it can't move inboard enough to kick the chain off the middle ring, it's really odd to see a problem with an old derailleur and a new external BB crank.

MT rider
    Jan 2004
    I'd check the derailleur height - I set mine low just enough to clear the big chainring.

Secondly, what if you rotate the derailleur sliiightly clockwise (when viewed from above ie)?

...i'm just big boned
    Feb 2011
    No one has mentioned the cranks?! I'm going to guess a chain ring/ crank set issue. Just curious to hear what the bike shop says.
    O' Canada . . . True North Strong and Free!
    Former LBS manager and wrench.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I already did lower the front derailleur down and did the adjustment. Clearance between the front derailleur and the largest chain ring is 2 mm or the thickness of a penny. I will find out when I take it to a bike shop to figure this issue.

Old 9 speed drive train standard to a newer crankset with new cupset standard is a pain in the arse. I wonder if Raceface, Shimano, and any others don't tell anyone that there might be issues. I'm just hoping that it is a spacer issue and removing a couple of chain links.

I wish they give us more spacers with smaller widths besides the 2.5 mm when anyone buys a crankset. It gives us a better chance of fine tuning and resolves some of the issues.