mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Questions about older 2005 Element Race frame

I am considering buying a used 2005 Element Race frame from a local individual. I looked around online but I still donít know a lot about the frames. I have a lot of little questions about it. I see that the Element has been made for many years. What types of updates and changes have been made over the years? Any thing good or bad to look for or avoid? Also are the frames the same for the different models within each year? The seller says his frame is a Element Race, but I canít find much info about this particular frame for 2005. The seller says it is black if that helps narrow it down at all. I would really like to know how much it weighs (small size), what the rear travel is and what length fork it needs. Any info or pictures that you guys have would be great.

Also it looks like the Element is a good XC frame. I am only about 135 pounds and a novice rider. I am looking to ride trails and have fun getting into this sport. Do you think the Element is well suited for this or should I keep looking?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    There was no 2005 Element called a Race, nor for several years before that, nor was any of the 2005 Elements black. The 2004 Element 70 was black, but who knows? If you could obtain a photo and post it here, we could perhaps identify the model and year for you, but if it has been resprayed that might not be easy.

All of the 2005 Elements except the Team Sc were sold with 100mm forks and had 100mm rear travel. I think they had 80/80 up until 2003 or so. The basic Element design has been going almost unchanged since 1996, and it is still a good design for a shorter travel bike.

If it's an Element, it's most likely built of a high end Easton tubeset, often Ultralite, and the frame weight for a size small will be quite light, around 5.5lbs. And it is certainly a good bike for getting started. But you need to know what model you're talking about before you can be ready to make the guy an offer.

Just as an example, the 2004 Element 70 is shown here http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...t+70&Type=bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I heard back from the seller and he want $350 for the frame. Unfortunately I really donít have the funds right now so I am going to have to pass on it. Since I know I cant get it I wont bother him for pictures yet. Maybe in the future I can scrape together the cash and pick it up. Does $350 sound fair for a 2005ish Element frame in excellent condition?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rc51kid
    Does $350 sound fair for a 2005ish Element frame in excellent condition?
    It's difficult to say, since all I know is that the frame isn't what he says it is and that he hasn't voluntarily sent you a picture, let alone correct details. I would always be wary of that kind of seller, but on the other hand sometimes sellers who know little about bikes are the best sellers to deal with, because their stuff has hardly been used.

I don't know what such a frame would cost new over there, but an Element 70 was around $2,800 (US), so the frame only (if sold as a frame) might be around half that. So four years later, you're saying around a quarter of new. Doesn't sound too bad, but that's only if it is what he says it is. And it isn't.

Do some searches on eBay and Craigslist while you're saving, you'll soon pick up a picture of what things go for.