mtbr member
    Nov 2007

New question here. Question about selling a 2001 Element Race

I am selling my 2001 Element Race and need a little advice. I have thought about selling the frame and shock separate from the other parts and would like to know if this makes sense. My experience is with Dirt Bikes and this technique is often used. Iím a newbie with Mountain Bikes and would appreciate suggestions. Also what is the best way to determine a value? I have not seen any bikes like this for sale and Iím not sure what it may be worth. The bike has seen little use and is in good shape. Would you recommend selling on Craigslist or this site or would eBay be better? Again your suggestions are much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Parting a bike out will usually net you more $, though it's more of a headache, ask yourself if it's worth it to you. Regarding price for the frame, that largely depends on condition. If it's mint you might be able to get $500 for it, if not adjust down from there.

ups and downs
    Did the 2001 Element Race have disc tabs and disc hose guides? I know my 2000 Instinct had rear disc tabs but just had brake cable stops on the frame and seat stays. If the frame is hydro disc ready it will have more value in today's market.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Yes, it has disc hose guides on the seat stays and the wheels are disc ready as well. The brake levers are separate from the shifters so disc brakes could easily be added.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    More value is relative, a used 2005 Element 70 frame didn't even make it past $207.50 US on ebay the other day.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Unless you are in need of cash ASAP, I'd hang on to it until Christmas passes. This is a bad time of year to sell bike parts on line but a great time to buy them.
    There are no "mistakes"; only learning curves.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I could wait but I bought a new Blur and if the bicycle count goes up in the garage my wife may kill me! I already bought a new road bike this year as well. I'll probably list it as a complete bike on Craigslist and this site before trying ebay. The LBS says it's worth about $1,000 but I think they are too high. I'm guessing maybe $500 to $700. The bike is in good shape so I'm hopeful it will sell. If not I'll wait till after the holidays. Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Maybe my wife and your wife should get together and start a support group. There seems to be too many spouses out there that take issue with bikes in the garage. While they all get together we can all go riding!!!!!

There is 5 in my garage, 3 in the basement and my wife hasn't noticed the one in the back of the SUV I picked up last night. hehe.
    There are no "mistakes"; only learning curves.

ups and downs
    Or threaten to compare your bike count to her shoe/purse count...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    FWIW, the local craigslist (SF Bay area) recently had a 2002 Slayer for $425. 2001 was the year before they switched to 4" forks on the non-team Element, plus that year the Race was spec'ed a little lower as the Instinct was positioned below the Element Team and above the Race.

Now that I talked it down, what size is it ?

C>

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by csuder99
    FWIW, the local craigslist (SF Bay area) recently had a 2002 Slayer for $425. 2001 was the year before they switched to 4" forks on the non-team Element, plus that year the Race was spec'ed a little lower as the Instinct was positioned below the Element Team and above the Race.

Now that I talked it down, what size is it ?

C>
    According to RM,
    "Our mountain and trekking bike frame sizes are determined by measuring from the center of the bottom bracket shell to the top of the seat tube (referred to as "center to top" sizing). This gives the nominal frame size in inches."

I measure this as 18 inches, right in the middle of their sizing. I guess that makes it a medium.