mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Proper size for a Rocky Mountain Slayer

Hey guys, I need help with buying a Slayer. I am wondering is the Slayer 30 good enough for all mountain riding or would a 50 be better? Mind you, I currently have a recreational bike that just doesn't cut it anymore, so switching to a Slayer is a real big upgrade. I am just wondering wether the additional cost is worth it since this is going to be my first proper all mountain bike.
    Also, I am 6'3'' and my inseam is 36 if I measured correctly. What frame size would you recommend?

ups and downs
    Buying the highest spec bike you can afford is always worth it compared to upgrading. It will always cost you about 30-50% more to buy new upgrade parts to get to the same spec level in the aftermarket than it would to pay the upcharge between a 30 and 50 on the showroom floor. The frames are the same on the Slayer 30 and 50, so it is just parts spec differences.

Even though bike frames are always sized based on seat tube length, you really want to fit the bike based on top tube length. You can adjust seat height, but you can't adjust the top tube length. At 6'-3" you will be looking at XL for sure. I'm 6'-1" and would ride a L. The XL gets you 1 inch of additional top tube length over a L. Depending on your arm and torso length that could still feel a bit snug. You may find you need a seat post with more setback. You definitely want to get a test ride to check fit before buying.

The new 2013 Altitude with the 650B wheels has an XL size with a 630mm top tube length instead of 620mm like the Slayer, so that gives you a roomier cockpit for AM riding. So if you could find an Altitude 730 or 750 you would likely appreciate the bigger wheels and longer cockpit.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I would echo what Rocky has said here Fred. I've had two slayers, they are amazing. For the money your spending, you might want to demo an Altitude. They are different animals for sure, but each is a road to Rome. The Altitude is a bit more responsive, and the Slayer is definitely on the plusher side of things. One is 650, the other 26", something to consider. All this being said, I prefer the Slayer because I like the wheel path and suspension behavior for AM/DH versus the linkage and wheel path on the Altitude... that's just my personal preference.

Bump in Rocky's info on upgrades as well. End game, demo both bikes... its good to date a lot of bikes, but ultimately the one you take home should be the one you can wake up with. : )

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    i was in a similar situation and ended up with the slayer 50. the components on the bike is perfect for what my budget was. it has reverb seatpost and type 2 rear derailleur. the 170 mm lyrik is great too.

the reason why i didnt go with the altitude was because i wanted something super plush and can take the abuse of some bike park and shuttle days. the slayer is solid, i also love the geo of the bike. pedals great too

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thank you for your replies. I think I'm gonna go with the Slayer 50. It's in the price range I wanted and anyway Slayer has always been the one bike I imagined having. Good thing you pointed out the spec difference, so a 50 is definitely worth it. Altitude seems great too, but for my needs I think a Slayer is the way to go. I'm definitely gonna test both and see where it gets me, I appreciate the help.

mtbr member
    I could get a nice deal on a new RM Slayer SXC 70 frame, and with my 182cm/6ft height and 88cm/34in inseam I'm wondering if a 18'' frame would be a proper fit or if I should go for the 19'' one.

ups and downs
    In real estate they say location, location, location. On a bike it's top tube, top tube, top tube. Match the top tube length to what fits you now. From there you can play with stem length and seat post setback to adjust your position in the cockpit. Some people like a shorter cockpit on DH and slope style bikes, but if you're going to pedal, make sure the cockpit has room for your knees when out of the saddle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodeodave View Post
    I could get a nice deal on a new RM Slayer SXC 70 frame, and with my 182cm/6ft height and 88cm/34in inseam I'm wondering if a 18'' frame would be a proper fit or if I should go for the 19'' one.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Excellent point! Unfortunately the geometry of my current frame, a GT LTS 2000DS (seriously, it's hard to kill, climbs well enough and is easy to maintain) in 18'', is quite different from the SXC. But I ride it with a 100mm stem and plenty of setback on the saddle.
    From what I'm reading in other threads I should indeed get a 19'' frame it seems.

mtbr member

RE: Proper size for a Rocky Mountain Slayer

For the SXC i think you could go either. If you'll be doing more hucking and such then 18". More trail/enduro then 19".
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

mtbr member
    Btw, I ended up getting the 19" frame and am very happy with it. My knees have easily enough clearance with a 60mm stem, and the seatpost has more than enough length inserted in the uphill position and can be lowered down enough to offer good clearance for downhill. For my intended all mountain setup 19" was definitely the right choice.