Page 27 of 36 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spookyload View Post
    Well...I guess I should post a picture of the final build. I have it built with Racing Ralphs on one wheelset and Furious Freds for commuting. XO drive train, XX crank, Crossmax ST wheels, Magura MT-8 brakes, 2013 Fox F100 Terralogic, and Raceface Next SL seatpost bars and Turbine stem. It is wicked light, but haven't weighed it yet. Rides like a freaking rocket.

If you don't mind my asking, why did you go with the Crossmax STs as opposed to the SLRs? I'm building up a 950 RSL and was thinking of going with the SLRs but my LBS owner is trying to steer me towards the STs. I am 200lbs but not a hucker by any means.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I'm a bit of a Slayer lover. Lots of RM love from Colorado.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your RM shots-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Session

mtbr member
    I'm still learning the straight up geometry but so far it's been a fun rig.

mtbr member
    I have a friend on the summit of Began Peak in Evergreen Co.

mtbr member
    My bike got voted Bike of the Year 2012 by forum.mountainbike.nl (sorry, Dutch only). How cool is that!

Props go out to Rocky for making such a gorgeous bike.

ups and downs
    Instinct 970 in its stealthy black glory in the out of doors. I'll take the spoke protector off the rear wheel when the new RaceSport Mountain Kings arrive and I install the tires.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your RM shots-2013_0106new0004.jpg  

Last edited by rockyuphill; 01-11-2013 at 07:25 AM.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    @rockyuphill: Ok, we need a FULL ride report, stat! Also compare it to Tallboy LT, Banshee prime, Yeti SB-95 and Kona Satori please Kickin' bike, it's on my short-list to supplement my Element.

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by zonoskar View Post
    @rockyuphill: Ok, we need a FULL ride report, stat! Also compare it to Tallboy LT, Banshee prime, Yeti SB-95 and Kona Satori please Kickin' bike, it's on my short-list to supplement my Element.
    Still limited saddle time on the Instinct 970 with the weather we've had and other commitments. This is only my second experience on a 29" FS bike after the 2hr test ride on an Element 950 last summer at Mont Sainte Anne. Getting up on it and getting rolling reminded me of my Slayer SXC.

The standard Continental tires are not confidence inspiring on wet roots, my RaceSport Black Chili versions of the Mountain King 2.2's should be here this week, and then I will feel better about tackling wet trail conditions.

The 70mm stem length makes for a very fast turn in, I sure can't complain about the handling being sluggish. This bar/stem setup is a 725mm wide bar and 70mm stem, and even though the HTT length is 5mm shorter than my 26" Element, this cockpit feels very comfortable.

With the CTD suspension in the Trail setting the bike feels very plush but not spongy. Even in the D for Descent position, climbing short steep climbs you get a lot of rear suspension movement but it doesn't suck a lot of energy out of going forward, or slacken the bike out too much. I expect that just as with Pro Pedal I will find a Trail suspension setup I like and just leave it that way. It pedals very efficiently in Trail so that must be mostly like the original Pro Pedal valving.

I was impressed that the Avid brakes bedded in quickly and quietly in wet conditions and stopped well. Maybe I can hold off sticking a set of XT brakes on it.

I'm using the range of fork/shock pressures shown in the Rocky tech manual (from bikeaction.de) and that feels pretty good, will tinker as necessary. Right now it is setup in the default BB drop of 30mm, after I get some time at this setting, I will try it in setting 2 with 20.7mm of BB drop and then at setting 7 for 35mm of BB drop.

As for comparing to all those other bikes... well really, none of those are a Rocky Mountain so, you know, how good are they going to be?

mtbr member

New and Old

2003 Team Element- 2012 Element 50
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your RM shots-561730_4135060389170_936756002_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    @rockyuphill: Thanks! How are the longer chainstays handling wheelies or getting over logs? Sounds like a winner to me. It's just a shame that the lower speced Instinct 950 looks very much like the Element 970 I already have. I don't care much about all those remote lockouts and stuff from the higher specced Instinct 970 (although the Fox up front is nice). Did you weigh the bike?

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by zonoskar View Post
    @rockyuphill: Thanks! How are the longer chainstays handling wheelies or getting over logs? Sounds like a winner to me. It's just a shame that the lower speced Instinct 950 looks very much like the Element 970 I already have. I don't care much about all those remote lockouts and stuff from the higher specced Instinct 970 (although the Fox up front is nice). Did you weigh the bike?
    The bike weighs 30.42 pounds with the Eggbeater pedals. I haven't ridden much gnarly terrain yet, it's been very very wet and the standard Conti tires are frightening on wet surfaces. Once the new tires are here I'll see what it's like on real trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Rockymountain Vertex

Rockymountain Vertex with Rockshox Judy SLs and Red Magura Johnny Ts

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cdubb30 View Post
    Upgraded the wheels, Thru axle front fork, centerlocks, blacked out post and stem, sick Odis.
    Too bad it creaks like a som'bich cause it actually looks like a 3k+ bike.
    What did it weigh stock? I'm thinking about a 26" Element and wondering if I should go with an aluminum frame or if I should upgrade to carbon.
    Last edited by s-wooooooo; 01-30-2013 at 07:25 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Instinct 970 in its stealthy black glory in the out of doors. I'll take the spoke protector off the rear wheel when the new RaceSport Mountain Kings arrive and I install the tires.
    Love the stealth look!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Built my Vertex 29'er SE up into a 1x10 for 2013. Sweet!

ups and downs
    A pleasant dry, cool, sunny day and hero dirt. First time on this 26" wheel bike in a few months. Sure is lighter than the Instinct and the carbon wheels are sure lighter. Still no firm favourite.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your RM shots-2013_0210new0005.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

My 2012 Rocky Mountain Slayer

Post your RM shots-dsc02243.jpgPost your RM shots-dsc02251.jpgPost your RM shots-dsc02252.jpgPost your RM shots-dsc02253.jpgPost your RM shots-dsc02254.jpgPost your RM shots-dsc02255.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lpcunity View Post
    I have a friend on the summit of Began Peak in Evergreen Co.
    Nice pose

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    love the white! I have the 2012 70. What chain guide have you fitted and any probs with it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Blackspire stinger. Its OK but I would spend the extra money and get something better. I am going to a 1x10 blackspire der chainguide.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I've had this bike for a few weeks now, but held off posting until the ENVE wheels got fitted! I had the 2012 970RSL Alloy and still, until getting its carbon blinged sibling 999RSL, is the most amazing dually I have ever ridden.

At the moment the bike is stock except for the ENVE handlebar and wheels (including tyres). Very lucky that our shop owner is best of mates with the Australian distributor of ENVE and looked after the team very very well. Bike weighs in at 10.15kgs on the bathroom scales.

Post your RM shots-img_8900.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

element 999

Post your RM shots-2013-02-16-07.05.25.jpg

I have the stock white saddle and will probably go back to that one to better match the wheels and grips. pretty stoked on the build. full xtr with shadow plus. king cage - ti cage

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Yes. Still riding my 2002 Blizzard. It's been my primary ride for 11 years and it is getting new drivetrain as we speak. Reborn for another good run!

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
    Does anyone still ride steel ?

Got the frame rather cheap and built it up with some spare parts... Race Face crank, XT derailers and brakes, Avid levers, Mars Elite fork Raceface bars, no name stem, Race Face bars, Pro Logic headset, Oury lock on grips, XT triggers...

The rather excellent rear wheel came off my old Hammer and I upgraded the 7 speed freehub to an 8 and I built up the front wheel with an Suntour XC Pro hub laced to an NOS Rhynolite.

The Blizzard is the sweetest hardtail I have ever ridden... it handles like it is on rails and climbs like a goat on speed.

A back injury has kept me off the trail for over a year but I got the bike a little dirty tonight...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    It weighed in at 26lbs. Had to get rid of it though. Frame warranty issue with the bushings and the rear drop out burned me though.

Page 27 of 36 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast