BenTYYC

2015 RMB Thunderbolt 790 MSL BC Edition
    2017 RMB Blizzard -50º

"Love the ride"

ups and downs
    scoff·law
    ˈskôfˌlô,ˈskäf
    noun - NORTH AMERICAN - informal
    a person who flouts the law, especially by failing to comply with a law that is difficult to enforce effectively.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Moderator Moderator
    What's that no fatbiking sign?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Def #lovetheride 🤘

Old Fat Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by AshevilleMTB View Post
    What's that no fatbiking sign?
    This is a nordic ski area that is learning to become a mixed-use area. That sign has no relevance in the summer months, but is used to keep fat bikes to designated trails, as to not upset ski tracks in the winter.

I just liked the juxtaposition...
    BenTYYC

2017 RMB Blizzard -50º

"Love the ride"

Old Fat Guy
    First taste of the white stuff. Fun, fun, fun!

BenTYYC

2017 RMB Blizzard -50º

"Love the ride"

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Here is my 3 week old 2016 Thunderbolt 730. Picked it up for $2300, excellent price for the build spec and definitely my new favorite. Now to order a dropper, pedals and grips and she'll be complete!!Post your RM shots-1123160949.jpg
    - 2014 Giant Talon 4
    - 2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt 730

President of the Internet
    2014 Instinct. Only orginal parts left are the BB, shifters, headset and rotors.

Post your RM shots-2016-12-06-12.49.13.jpg
    Sometimes you eat the trail, sometimes the trail eats you.

Thinking of buying a home?
    http://Search-Sacramento-Homes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fisher98 View Post
    Here is my 3 week old 2016 Thunderbolt 730. Picked it up for $2300, excellent price for the build spec and definitely my new favorite. Now to order a dropper, pedals and grips and she'll be complete!!
    Nice! You'll love the bike!

I bought a Thunderbolt 710 back at the beginning of the year. I sort of regret getting the entry-level model now (having been out of Mountain Biking for 20 years and not knowing enough about all the new technology I went with something that seemed affordable yet awesome). I've already replaced the drive train (SRAM GX 1x11), brakes (Shimano SLX) and will replace the horrible bottom bracket and crankset this spring, so overall it's now something more like what I wanted, and everything else about the bike is a joy and I know the geometry and awesomeness is shared between all the Thunderbolts across the line, so you'll love yours.

My Thunderbolt end of summer...

Post your RM shots-2016-09-16-16.37.16-copy.jpg
    2016 Rocky Mountain Blizzard
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt
    1992 Rocky Mountain Cirrus

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
    Nice! You'll love the bike!

I bought a Thunderbolt 710 back at the beginning of the year. I sort of regret getting the entry-level model now (having been out of Mountain Biking for 20 years and not knowing enough about all the new technology I went with something that seemed affordable yet awesome). I've already replaced the drive train (SRAM GX 1x11), brakes (Shimano SLX) and will replace the horrible bottom bracket and crankset this spring, so overall it's now something more like what I wanted, and everything else about the bike is a joy and I know the geometry and awesomeness is shared between all the Thunderbolts across the line, so you'll love yours.

My Thunderbolt end of summer...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-09-16 16.37.16 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	188.1 KB 
ID:	1110413
    Nice looking bike! I picked up some Deity Decoy pedals and a carbon bar for $180, so it's got that stuff and some Lizard Skins Moab grips. I've been riding it alot and love it so much, it handles so smoothly on technical trails and really just begs to have the snot beat out of it. The shop I got it at carries more than 10 different bike brands, and both the owners ride Thunderbolts. That told me something and nudged me towards choosing it and I am so glad I did! Probably going to order a KS eten integra and then be done with upgrades for awhile. But it really is a fantastic bike for the money, and many people don't know until they ride one!
    - 2014 Giant Talon 4

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fisher98 View Post
    Nice looking bike! I picked up some Deity Decoy pedals and a carbon bar for $180, so it's got that stuff and some Lizard Skins Moab grips. I've been riding it alot and love it so much, it handles so smoothly on technical trails and really just begs to have the snot beat out of it. The shop I got it at carries more than 10 different bike brands, and both the owners ride Thunderbolts. That told me something and nudged me towards choosing it and I am so glad I did! Probably going to order a KS eten integra and then be done with upgrades for awhile. But it really is a fantastic bike for the money, and many people don't know until they ride one!
    I agree with you that it's a perfect bike, at least for all-around use. I've been loyal to RM for a long time, so when I look at their lineup thinking about what I should buy in a few years to replace it, I see things like the Element or the Altitude and think that they are both sort of two ends of the spectrum (XC and Trail) whereas the Thunderbolt is kind of a mix of the two. Seems to be able to do anything.

I tried messing with the Ride-9 a bit but kept putting it back in the middle. I guess I love that jake-of-all-trades setup best.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I agree with you that it's a perfect bike, at least for all-around use. I've been loyal to RM for a long time, so when I look at their lineup thinking about what I should buy in a few years to replace it, I see things like the Element or the Altitude and think that they are both sort of two ends of the spectrum (XC and Trail) whereas the Thunderbolt is kind of a mix of the two. Seems to be able to do anything.

I tried messing with the Ride-9 a bit but kept putting it back in the middle. I guess I love that jake-of-all-trades setup best.
    Yeah I 100% agree it really is a perfect do-anything trail bike. I've only been riding for a couple years, started riding heavily when i was 17 about 7 months ago and have a really aggressive riding style, so as soon as I got my bike I moved the Ride-9 to the farthest forward position to achieve the slackest angles. It feels great for me and doesn't slow me down much on climbs. And I can say with confidence that I will now be loyal to RM. They have just super simple designs that work so well, and are everything they claim to be. Not a huge corporation but in my opinion exactly what the industry needs more of!
    - 2014 Giant Talon 4

Post your RM shots-2017-01-22-13.51.21.jpg

Replaced my 2x10 drivetrain with 1x11. X1 RD, E*Thirteen 9-46 TSRr Cassette, Raceface NW chainring and X01 shifter.

Finally a break in the weather and I can ride it this week!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Widgeontrail View Post

Replaced my 2x10 drivetrain with 1x11. X1 RD, E*Thirteen 9-46 TSRr Cassette, Raceface NW chainring and X01 shifter.

Nice! I'm really digging the SRAM build I put together too, though I don't get to ride my Tbolt for a few months yet, but enjoying my Blizzard in the snow for now

New BB and cranks for me this spring, and then contemplating a dropper post. What do you have on that one?

Nice! I'm really digging the SRAM build I put together too, though I don't get to ride my Tbolt for a few months yet, but enjoying my Blizzard in the snow for now

New BB and cranks for me this spring, and then contemplating a dropper post. What do you have on that one?
    It's a KS Lev Integra 150mm. Great post so far. Though I had a previous Lev than lasted about 2 years. Thankfully I warrantied it then sold it and bought this one.

I'd never get a Reverb. I don't need something else to bleed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Widgeontrail View Post

Name:	2017-01-22 13.51.21.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	136.8 KB 
ID:	1117515

Nice looking rig! One thing I'd watch out for is in the pic it looks like you have a fair amount of excess cable under the chain stay and BB that is likely feeding out of the internal routing - watch out for chain rub against the cable and getting the cable snagged on branches / logs / etc. (ask me how I know!) - it is a pain but I eventually had to reduce the amount of cable under there

Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    Nice looking rig! One thing I'd watch out for is in the pic it looks like you have a fair amount of excess cable under the chain stay and BB that is likely feeding out of the internal routing - watch out for chain rub against the cable and getting the cable snagged on branches / logs / etc. (ask me how I know!) - it is a pain but I eventually had to reduce the amount of cable under there
    Thanks. The derailleur housing was an oversight and I was too lazy to re-do it. The dropper post cable has to be long so you can remove the cable from the bottom of the post. I'll try to adjust them before riding.

mtbr member
    Post your RM shots-pipeline.jpg

mtbr member
    2017? Looks awesome!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by screamingbunny View Post

Name:	pipeline.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	195.9 KB 
ID:	1117783
    Nice, any upgrades yet?? Still waiting for my 770 to come in.

Old Fat Guy
    BenTYYC

2017 RMB Blizzard -50º

"Love the ride"

ups and downs
    A beauty shot from a trail with the snow slowly clearing, with a bit of direct sunlight glow on the white paint
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your RM shots-dscf8766.jpg  

I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Love my Pipeline 750MSL, great bike.

List of upgrades:
    Carbon Reynolds wheels - wider rim and 1.5 lbs lighter
    Easton carbon bar
    Sram GX cassette
    SLX Brakes with 203 frt rotor
    10mm longer stem
    Tried the Bombaloni tires, wasn't impressed
    Ergon grips
    Classic flight saddle - fits my hiney really well

So yeh, I've made a few upgrades
    Last edited by screamingbunny; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:29 PM.

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526