Post your RM shots

Printable View

• 07-13-2016
    bentyyc
    Love the "black and blue" theme you have going on... Nice rides!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocky Mtn View Post
    here are a couple of shots of my old RM Altitude 730 and my new Thuderbolt 790 MSL BC Edition

the top photo of the Thunderbolt was taken at he start of the downhill section of Merlin's View.

The picture of the Altitude (was a rare moment f creative genius and a well placed rock) was take at Jumping Pound Loop.

Both trail are just outside of Calgary Alberta

• 07-14-2016
    kyl3

I love this bike so much!
  • 07-17-2016
    Kbarrette
    Snapped a pic while taking a breather on the trail today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 07-24-2016
    kyl3

It chose me
  • 07-30-2016
    rockyuphill
    1 Attachment(s)
    A fine day in the woods with my Thunderbolt. Happy happy joy joy
  • 07-30-2016
    bentyyc
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    A fine day in the woods with my Thunderbolt. Happy happy joy joy

:thumbsup::thumbs:

I had a nice ride today as well, on my Thunderbolt. Overnight thunderstorms, followed-by early morning sun brought out all of the wildflowers during my tromp thru the mud...

Attachment 1085131
  • 07-31-2016
    rockyuphill
    1 Attachment(s)
    Bright patches of sunlight really light up the white paint.

Had a great climb up a nasty, blown out, eroded steep climb, going from rocks to roots to ruts, and the T-bolt just scampers through this stuff, reminding me that the fastest way around an obstacle is straight over the top.
  • 07-31-2016
    bentyyc
    Quote:

Bright patches of sunlight really light up the white paint.

Had a great climb up a nasty, blown out, eroded steep climb, going from rocks to roots to ruts, and the T-bolt just scampers through this stuff, reminding me that the fastest way around an obstacle is straight over the top.

Awesome rockyuphill, awesome!! :)
  • 07-31-2016
    screamingbunny
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 08-02-2016
    bentyyc
    Hitting the new High Rockies Trail, once again...

IMG_9454

• 08-02-2016
    BlackCanoeDog
    loaded Sherpa..
    ready to go!
  • 08-11-2016
    Loudawg82

Here's my Thunderbolt all modded up:
    - 50mm stem
    - specialized ircc dropper
    - fox 34 factory at 130mm

Rides like a dream!
  • 08-12-2016
    kyl3

Competing in a local gravity Enduro race last weekend!
  • 08-13-2016
    BlackCanoeDog
    Sherpa bikepacking..

link to rest of ride pics..
    https://goo.gl/photos/Ud3NhJMCPwrPK6oL7
  • 08-15-2016
    bishopsmike
    2 Attachment(s)
    All cleaned up after a Sunday morning ride:

Attachment 1088145Attachment 1088146
  • 08-15-2016
    tehllama
    Albuquerque Sunset - Instinct 950

• 08-15-2016
    team ti
    1 Attachment(s)
    Sunny August day in Squamish
  • 08-15-2016
    dbhender
    1 Attachment(s)
    Up in the hills above Sechelt BC

Attachment 1088320
  • 08-17-2016
    Kbarrette

Taking a break in Sudbury, ON

• 08-17-2016
    screamingbunny
    1 Attachment(s)
    Dumbing down the Berkshires.....NOT! :D
    Attachment 1088708
  • 08-18-2016
    Varaxis
    1 Attachment(s)
    This will be my first Rocky Mountain and first 27.5 bike. Got new wheels, tires, brakes, grips, and a mostly fresh drivetrain (only cranks used). Gonna have to pull the dropper, saddle, and the rest of the cockpit from another bike. Gonna use a Pike from my 26er, after converting it to 130mm (good thing I got the 27.5 version).

Thunderbolt BC (Med). Not sure what year.

Attachment 1088924
  • 08-20-2016
    mrwulf

Love the ride ... Altitude 750MSL custom build.
  • 08-21-2016
    screamingbunny
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 1089310
    Triplets :)
  • 08-21-2016
    nefariousvw

• 08-22-2016
    zonoskar

Still going strong, although the rear damper now has no rebound damping anymore.
  • 08-26-2016
    Mike123456

Fantastic ride in central Israel today.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
  • 09-10-2016
    Seventh-777
    First ride on my new Sherpa:

• 09-11-2016
    Varaxis
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 09-13-2016
    rhale
    How do you like the Tbolt Varaxis?
  • 09-30-2016
    GoldFly
    1 Attachment(s)
    This thread needs some more attention; let's see those Rockys!

Here's one from our ride today:

Attachment 1097808

Still love the Instinct, although it can be a bit creaky and can't seem to locate the source.
  • 09-30-2016
    skyno
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldFly View Post
    This thread needs some more attention; let's see those Rockys!

OK - here's my contribution - I am trying out a buddy's Bos Deville 160 fork - love it! - the Pike was really good but I think this might be better - I may never give it back!

Got the bike ready at the office so I can go ride right after I get out today!

Attachment 1097095
  • 09-30-2016
    BlackCanoeDog
    Sherpa...

the rest of the story...
    https://goo.gl/photos/5dFesusrvC4hipex6
  • 09-30-2016
    evilpoot
    I have a 2014 Instinct and the creak was the Race Face PF bottom bracket. I had it removed last spring, cleaned, and re-inserted with green loc-tite. It's been as quiet as a mouse ever since.
  • 10-01-2016
    evilpoot
    1 Attachment(s)
    2014 Instinct with "BC" upgrade
    My 2014 Instinct. The stock Fox 32 130mm "Performance" fork was starting to wear out and I'd already replaced the bushings once. Lucked out and got a brand new Pike 140mm (take-off from a 2016 Instinct BC Edition). The difference in the ride is like night and day.
  • 10-01-2016
    rockyuphill
    1 Attachment(s)
    On a ride in the mossy rain forest, where the sun popped out on a cloudy day
  • 10-04-2016
    mrwulf
    My Altitude in highest altitudes ;-)

Lake Garda / Italy

Above Innsbruck / Austria

• 10-04-2016
    binrat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bentyyc View Post
    Hitting the new High Rockies Trail, once again...

IMG_9454

What is this new high Rockies trail you speak of??
  • 10-04-2016
    bentyyc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by binrat View Post
    What is this new high Rockies trail you speak of??

More info here: High Rockies Trail

If you're visiting or anywhere near the Canmore/Kananaskis area of Alberta, this is a new trail system that upon completion will be part of the Trans Canada Trail.
  • 10-04-2016
    binrat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bentyyc View Post
    More info here: High Rockies Trail

If you're visiting or anywhere near the Canmore/Kananaskis area of Alberta, this is a new trail system that upon completion will be part of the Trans Canada Trail.

From Strathmore but every time I planned to hit the Rockies up this year, it rained. Actually every time I planned to bike it rained... :( Only got out (besides paved trails) twice this year.
  • 10-05-2016
    Varaxis
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rhale View Post
    How do you like the Tbolt Varaxis?

I'll keep it brief: it rides like I expected, like a FS version of my ROS9, but with 27.5 wheels. Nice balance point above the saddle at full post extension, making it intuitive and behaved. Main downside is the 27.5 wheels struggle in Cali drought conditions, with the "loose-over-hard" becoming more like riding in the sand along the beach, with how bogged down it gets in many parts (normally where less skilled riders drag their brakes, or where motos and horses ride through). My 29ers are dramatically better in this loose stuff, but their easy riding feel can feel boring. It was much more enjoyable when I rode it last winter. For comparison's sake, I'd slot it overall in between a Habit and a SB5c, maybe more like a BC flavored Spider 275c.

Attachment 1098182
  • 10-06-2016
    GoldFly
    Quote:

Originally Posted by evilpoot View Post
    I have a 2014 Instinct and the creak was the Race Face PF bottom bracket. I had it removed last spring, cleaned, and re-inserted with green loc-tite. It's been as quiet as a mouse ever since.

Well unfortunately for me it didn't turn out to be the bottom bracket. I replaced it with a new one and added loc-tite (along with the proper primer) and still have a creak. It sounds like it may be coming from the main pivot but I've already taken that apart and regreased everything to no avail.

I guess I'll live with the creaking as it doesn't seem to have any negative effects on the bike (or the ride) other than being a minor annoyance.
  • 10-06-2016
    dbhender
    Quote:

Well unfortunately for me it didn't turn out to be the bottom bracket. I replaced it with a new one and added loc-tite (along with the proper primer) and still have a creak. It sounds like it may be coming from the main pivot but I've already taken that apart and regreased everything to no avail.

I guess I'll live with the creaking as it doesn't seem to have any negative effects on the bike (or the ride) other than being a minor annoyance.

Check the pedals?
  • 10-07-2016
    GoldFly
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dbhender View Post
    Check the pedals?

I've taken everything apart, cleaned it, and reassembled it all (including pedals) but still has a creak. I've looked at the frame and don't see any cracks; it still looks to be in excellent shape. Unfortunately I'd likely be out of luck trying to get any sort of replacement from RM as I bought it used.
  • 10-10-2016
    zonoskar
    Chainring bolts? They can creak.

Taking my old Element 970 out for a spin. Still love the ride.

• 10-24-2016
    GoldFly

The bad news: In my attempt to capture a nice picture of my bike among the fall scenery, it toppled over onto a bunch of rocks, bending the front rotor.

The good news: It gave me a chance to replace the awful Avid HS1 rotors. I just ordered the Shimano XT IceTech rotors that come stock on the new Instinct BC Edition bikes. Hopefully that silences (or at least helps with) the awful squealing that I've always gotten from the Avid brakes.
  • 10-24-2016
    badbrew
    1 Attachment(s)
    Heres mine
    Attachment 1101769

Quote:

I've taken everything apart, cleaned it, and reassembled it all (including pedals) but still has a creak. I've looked at the frame and don't see any cracks; it still looks to be in excellent shape. Unfortunately I'd likely be out of luck trying to get any sort of replacement from RM as I bought it used.

Removing and cleaning the main pivot bushings and surfaces in the shaft is usually what silences any creaks for me.
  • 10-27-2016
    skyno
    Some changes on my Altitude. My buddy let me borrow his 160 Bos Deville fork and Monarch shock. Ho Lee Fuk that fork is so good I had to get my own. The new one feels even better.

Jury is still out on the Monarch vs Float X. Need more rides and tinkering.

• 11-01-2016
    screamingbunny
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 11-07-2016
    bentyyc
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50. First ride...

• 11-07-2016
    rockyuphill
    Being a scofflaw I see.
  • 11-07-2016
    bentyyc
    Quote:

Being a scofflaw I see.

Scofflaw - love it :)

Thanks rockyuphill!
  • 11-08-2016
    rockyuphill
    scofflaw
    ˈskfˌl,ˈskf
    noun - NORTH AMERICAN - informal
    a person who flouts the law, especially by failing to comply with a law that is difficult to enforce effectively.
  • 11-08-2016
    AshevilleMTB
    What's that no fatbiking sign?
  • 11-09-2016
    kyl3

Def #lovetheride 🤘
  • 11-10-2016
    bentyyc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AshevilleMTB View Post
    What's that no fatbiking sign?

This is a nordic ski area that is learning to become a mixed-use area. That sign has no relevance in the summer months, but is used to keep fat bikes to designated trails, as to not upset ski tracks in the winter.

I just liked the juxtaposition...
  • 11-19-2016
    bentyyc
    First taste of the white stuff. Fun, fun, fun!

• 11-29-2016
    fisher98
    1 Attachment(s)
    Here is my 3 week old 2016 Thunderbolt 730. Picked it up for $2300, excellent price for the build spec and definitely my new favorite. Now to order a dropper, pedals and grips and she'll be complete!!Attachment 1107864
  • 12-14-2016
    Widgeontrail
    1 Attachment(s)
    2014 Instinct. Only orginal parts left are the BB, shifters, headset and rotors.

Attachment 1110377
  • 12-14-2016
    Jet Black
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fisher98 View Post
    Here is my 3 week old 2016 Thunderbolt 730. Picked it up for $2300, excellent price for the build spec and definitely my new favorite. Now to order a dropper, pedals and grips and she'll be complete!!

Nice! You'll love the bike!

I bought a Thunderbolt 710 back at the beginning of the year. I sort of regret getting the entry-level model now (having been out of Mountain Biking for 20 years and not knowing enough about all the new technology I went with something that seemed affordable yet awesome). I've already replaced the drive train (SRAM GX 1x11), brakes (Shimano SLX) and will replace the horrible bottom bracket and crankset this spring, so overall it's now something more like what I wanted, and everything else about the bike is a joy and I know the geometry and awesomeness is shared between all the Thunderbolts across the line, so you'll love yours.

My Thunderbolt end of summer...

Attachment 1110413
  • 12-14-2016
    fisher98
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
    Nice! You'll love the bike!

I bought a Thunderbolt 710 back at the beginning of the year. I sort of regret getting the entry-level model now (having been out of Mountain Biking for 20 years and not knowing enough about all the new technology I went with something that seemed affordable yet awesome). I've already replaced the drive train (SRAM GX 1x11), brakes (Shimano SLX) and will replace the horrible bottom bracket and crankset this spring, so overall it's now something more like what I wanted, and everything else about the bike is a joy and I know the geometry and awesomeness is shared between all the Thunderbolts across the line, so you'll love yours.

My Thunderbolt end of summer...

Attachment 1110413

Nice looking bike! I picked up some Deity Decoy pedals and a carbon bar for $180, so it's got that stuff and some Lizard Skins Moab grips. I've been riding it alot and love it so much, it handles so smoothly on technical trails and really just begs to have the snot beat out of it. The shop I got it at carries more than 10 different bike brands, and both the owners ride Thunderbolts. That told me something and nudged me towards choosing it and I am so glad I did! Probably going to order a KS eten integra and then be done with upgrades for awhile. But it really is a fantastic bike for the money, and many people don't know until they ride one!
  • 12-14-2016
    Jet Black
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fisher98 View Post
    Nice looking bike! I picked up some Deity Decoy pedals and a carbon bar for $180, so it's got that stuff and some Lizard Skins Moab grips. I've been riding it alot and love it so much, it handles so smoothly on technical trails and really just begs to have the snot beat out of it. The shop I got it at carries more than 10 different bike brands, and both the owners ride Thunderbolts. That told me something and nudged me towards choosing it and I am so glad I did! Probably going to order a KS eten integra and then be done with upgrades for awhile. But it really is a fantastic bike for the money, and many people don't know until they ride one!

I agree with you that it's a perfect bike, at least for all-around use. I've been loyal to RM for a long time, so when I look at their lineup thinking about what I should buy in a few years to replace it, I see things like the Element or the Altitude and think that they are both sort of two ends of the spectrum (XC and Trail) whereas the Thunderbolt is kind of a mix of the two. Seems to be able to do anything.

I tried messing with the Ride-9 a bit but kept putting it back in the middle. I guess I love that jake-of-all-trades setup best.
  • 12-14-2016
    fisher98
    Quote:

I agree with you that it's a perfect bike, at least for all-around use. I've been loyal to RM for a long time, so when I look at their lineup thinking about what I should buy in a few years to replace it, I see things like the Element or the Altitude and think that they are both sort of two ends of the spectrum (XC and Trail) whereas the Thunderbolt is kind of a mix of the two. Seems to be able to do anything.

I tried messing with the Ride-9 a bit but kept putting it back in the middle. I guess I love that jake-of-all-trades setup best.

Yeah I 100% agree it really is a perfect do-anything trail bike. I've only been riding for a couple years, started riding heavily when i was 17 about 7 months ago and have a really aggressive riding style, so as soon as I got my bike I moved the Ride-9 to the farthest forward position to achieve the slackest angles. It feels great for me and doesn't slow me down much on climbs. And I can say with confidence that I will now be loyal to RM. They have just super simple designs that work so well, and are everything they claim to be. Not a huge corporation but in my opinion exactly what the industry needs more of!
  • 01-24-2017
    Widgeontrail
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 1117515

Replaced my 2x10 drivetrain with 1x11. X1 RD, E*Thirteen 9-46 TSRr Cassette, Raceface NW chainring and X01 shifter.

Finally a break in the weather and I can ride it this week!
  • 01-24-2017
    Jet Black
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Widgeontrail View Post

Replaced my 2x10 drivetrain with 1x11. X1 RD, E*Thirteen 9-46 TSRr Cassette, Raceface NW chainring and X01 shifter.

Nice! I'm really digging the SRAM build I put together too, though I don't get to ride my Tbolt for a few months yet, but enjoying my Blizzard in the snow for now :D

New BB and cranks for me this spring, and then contemplating a dropper post. What do you have on that one?
  • 01-25-2017
    Widgeontrail
    Quote:

Nice! I'm really digging the SRAM build I put together too, though I don't get to ride my Tbolt for a few months yet, but enjoying my Blizzard in the snow for now :D

New BB and cranks for me this spring, and then contemplating a dropper post. What do you have on that one?

It's a KS Lev Integra 150mm. Great post so far. Though I had a previous Lev than lasted about 2 years. Thankfully I warrantied it then sold it and bought this one.

I'd never get a Reverb. I don't need something else to bleed.
  • 01-25-2017
    skyno
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Widgeontrail View Post
    Attachment 1117515

Nice looking rig! One thing I'd watch out for is in the pic it looks like you have a fair amount of excess cable under the chain stay and BB that is likely feeding out of the internal routing - watch out for chain rub against the cable and getting the cable snagged on branches / logs / etc. (ask me how I know!) - it is a pain but I eventually had to reduce the amount of cable under there
  • 01-25-2017
    Widgeontrail
    Quote:

Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    Nice looking rig! One thing I'd watch out for is in the pic it looks like you have a fair amount of excess cable under the chain stay and BB that is likely feeding out of the internal routing - watch out for chain rub against the cable and getting the cable snagged on branches / logs / etc. (ask me how I know!) - it is a pain but I eventually had to reduce the amount of cable under there

Thanks. The derailleur housing was an oversight and I was too lazy to re-do it. The dropper post cable has to be long so you can remove the cable from the bottom of the post. I'll try to adjust them before riding.
  • 01-25-2017
    screamingbunny
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 01-26-2017
    Jet Black
    2017? Looks awesome!
  • 01-27-2017
    binrat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by screamingbunny View Post

Nice, any upgrades yet?? Still waiting for my 770 to come in.
  • 01-27-2017
    bentyyc
  • 01-27-2017
    rockyuphill
    1 Attachment(s)
    A beauty shot from a trail with the snow slowly clearing, with a bit of direct sunlight glow on the white paint
  • 01-28-2017
    screamingbunny
    Love my Pipeline 750MSL, great bike.

List of upgrades:
    Carbon Reynolds wheels - wider rim and 1.5 lbs lighter
    Easton carbon bar
    Sram GX cassette
    SLX Brakes with 203 frt rotor
    10mm longer stem
    Tried the Bombaloni tires, wasn't impressed
    Ergon grips
    Classic flight saddle - fits my hiney really well

So yeh, I've made a few upgrades ;)
  • 04-08-2017
    binrat
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 1130660
    My new ride. XL Pipeline 770 with a few upgrades. SixC bars, next cranks, Derby rims mounted to DT 350 hubs with the 56 star drive upgrade. Weighs in at 27.1 ibs.
    Future upgrades Guide brakes and Reverb remote lever.
  • 04-08-2017
    Stefan0103
    1 Attachment(s)
    Canadian bike with a canadian shepherd :) Both gorgeous

Attachment 1130697
  • 04-28-2017
    Loudawg82
    Just sold my Thunderbolt... it served me well but I wanted a bit more travel. Was also right between a large and extra-large... maybe ill come back when they release the newer version.... 130/140mm perhaps?

• 04-29-2017
    Fredo23
    1 Attachment(s)
    I will ride this another year finaly.Attachment 1134424
  • 04-29-2017
    MTB nomad
    1 Attachment(s)
    Thunderbolt
  • 04-30-2017
    bentyyc
  • 05-01-2017
    zonoskar
    Resuerrected my old Element LTD with a new rear-end from ebay to replace the worn out parts on my bike. Not 100% color match, so I think I'll have it painted silver to match the front.

• 07-25-2017
    Reformed4Life
    06/07? Soul. Pretty low end when it comes to a Rocky, but it's been a solid ride for me the last ten years. Been thinking of upgrading and I've been looking at the fusion. 29" wheels are nice and I want hydraulic brakes. I'm still a sucker for hardtails. (cost/maintenance/cool factor of hardtails is better in my books :))

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
  • 08-15-2017
    achuang
    1 Attachment(s)
    Bought this used about a year ago and finally made all the changes I wanted to it recently. Monarch debonair to replace the old Fox CTD, Easton Haven stem and bars, fizik tundra saddle, warranty replacement reverb b1, maxxis ardent race and minion dhr II tyres and stealth decals for front and rear shocks. Have been loving it and enjoy the extra travel over my previous anthem 29er. Attachment 1152199
  • 08-20-2017
    BlackCanoeDog
    1 Attachment(s)
    Sherpa...
    on my home trails - Buckwallow
  • 08-20-2017
    tasty.dirt74
    Rocky Mountain Switch

• 08-31-2017
    Dreggsy1971
    3 Attachment(s)
    A few shots of my bike
    2015 RM Altitude.

Attachment 1155132

Attachment 1155133

Attachment 1155134

Now with spank wheels and pro core and an evol can.
  • 08-31-2017
    Dreggsy1971
    is that Vanos old frame?
  • 09-06-2017
    jreed3
    1 Attachment(s)
    Just got this Vertex 950 yesterday. Very excited to take it out!

Question, do these have internal routing for dropper posts?
  • 09-23-2017
    BlackCanoeDog
    1 Attachment(s)
    Sherpa trailside;
    autumn coming on...
  • 09-23-2017
    BlackCanoeDog
    3 Attachment(s)
    Camping
    afternoon, evening, morning,and the rest...
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/AClbGIYYLTkYK4yV2
  • 10-07-2017
    Nerdridesbikes
    1 Attachment(s)
    an old picture of my 2003 Slayer with 120mm travel. Been thrashing it from then til now. Going to put my order in for a brandy new Altitude C50 today!