Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well OUCH! My ETS-X50 broke!

I was riding in Flagstaff, AZ, on the Schultz Pass trail. I had a nice long downhill run going when I heard a loud bang. I thought a rock had kicked up and hit the downtube. Then I heard the rear tire dragging and thought I had a flat. Got off to check it out and this is what I found. Now I'm waiting for a new frame. Had the bike just over a year, and rode it a lot. Love that thing! Sad to be loosing the cool paint job, but can't wait to be riding it again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Hey that's a p[icture of my etsx70, exact same place to the milimeter. Wow that is really uncanny, the only way i can tell that isn't my bike is I don't have a cage.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid

I hope you have warranty!

That's not the kind of picture I wanted to see after having just built up a 2003 ETSX, to replace my cracked Instinct frame. Just curious, what size frame is that? Obviously that should not happen after 1 year of use unless you were doing big drops. Are you a heavy rider? What kind of mileage would you say you put on that frame?

Hope Rocky gets you back up and riding quickly!

Karl

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

It's under warranty for sure!

Yeah, it's under warranty. My LBS, where I purchased the bike, sent Rocky Mt. the pictures and is waiting for them to respond whether they want the frame sent back or not. The LBS is pretty sure that RM will just send a new frame. It's a large, 19" or 19.5", whichever RM makes (I think 19.5").

I haven't done anydrops on it. I ride a lot, so the frame has probably 2000+ miles on it. I ride some pretty gnarly trails, but no real downhill/freeride stuff.

I'm 6'-1" and 175 pounds, and I love this bike. It's rides extremely nice and handles everything. I can't wait until I'm back in action on it. Fortunately I have another bike to ride while this one is getting repaired.

Well I'm glad to hear you've got warranty. I sure hope Rocky won't have any issues with that kind of frame failure. It's not encouraging to see a frame fail with, what I consider, relatively low mileage on it. Good thing these frames have a 5 year warranty on them.

Looking at the way the seat tube failed I'm thinking a stress riser could exist below the top shock mount and with the repeated forces of the shock being compressed it basically pulled that tube apart at the weakest point, which is usually right beside a weld. I'm seen Ellsworth Truth frames fail in a similar way.

One of the reasons I picked the 03 ETSX frame was for the supposed stronger frame, especially the front end. I cracked the top tube near the head tube junction on my 01 Instinct and didn't want to go there again.

I'm 6 feet all, weight 185 lbs, and also have a 19" ETSX frame so I guess I need to keep an eye on that area of the bike too.

Anyways, I'd definitely like to hear how Rocky ends up handling this for you.

Regards,

Karl

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

I'll post updates

I'll definitely post updates on how RM handles the situation. I've always heard good things about their bikes and their customer service, that's one of the reasons I bought a RM.

Hope you enjoy your RM. Definitely watch that area for any cracking or anything. Looking at the fracture close up you can definitely tell that the welding affected the tubing and was probably what caused the failure. The more I think back on the situation, the more I realize that I could hear a "groaning" and popping sound. I thought it was in the suspension linkage, but now I'm pretty sure it was the cracking of the frame before the tube finally came apart.

The only good thing about the failure is where it happened. It didn't fail in a way that would hurt the rider, which I was very thankful for. My rear tire started dragging on the rear linkage, and I thought I had a flat tire. When I got off I realized that frame had broken. I'm definitely going to check the read shock out good because the frame breaking right there seemed to "over-extend" the shock. I'm hoping that it didn't do any damage. We'll see what happens when it's all back together.

Bryce

mtbr member
    I had a ETSX50 but sold it after a seeing a Etsx70 snap whilst climbing.That frame was a 19" also,shame as they ride well.

gimme mountains

bphin, that's an 04 frame, yes?

I can't tell from the pictures. Guess it could be an 03. Which is it? I know they've changed the tubing in the 04s and was wondering if that might have been the issue with your stress break. Then again, if your frame IS an 04, then the tubing has nothing to do with it I suppose.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Hey guys,

Sorry for the stupid question, but doesn't RM have a lifetime warranty on their frames? Or is it different from country to country (I'm in Australia).

One of the deciding factors on my recent ETSX-30 purchase was because of the lifetime frame warranty. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Cheers,
    tt

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well I know the feeling

I know the feeling well

That's my 03 KHS XC704R

1 month and still waiting for a replacement frame. The Australian distributor of KHS is hopeless (being polite)

Quote Originally Posted by tintin1610
    Hey guys,

Sorry for the stupid question, but doesn't RM have a lifetime warranty on their frames? Or is it different from country to country (I'm in Australia).

One of the deciding factors on my recent ETSX-30 purchase was because of the lifetime frame warranty. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Cheers,
    tt
    From Rocky Mountain's web site:

We cover your frame from the date of purchase of your new ROCKY MOUNTAIN® according to the frame material and the type of use against defects in material and workmanship:

CroMoly Steel**: Lifetime of Owner limited*
    Aluminum Front-Suspended**: 5 Years - limited*
    Aluminum Fully-Suspended**: 5 Years - limited* Hardware, suspension pivots and bushings, 1 year
    Downhill and Freeride: 6 Months - limited* Hardware, suspension pivots and bushings, 6 months.

*Limited warranty refers to the limitation stated in sections 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 in your ROCKY MOUNTAIN® Owner's Manual, also listed below. All frames covered for perforation and corrosion for one year from date of purchase.

** Paint and decals are warrantied against defects in workmanship and materials for 1 year. Normal wear and tear are not covered.

Karl
    Last edited by kwarwick; 07-18-2004 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Aussie
    I know the feeling well

That's my 03 KHS XC704R

1 month and still waiting for a replacement frame. The Australian distributor of KHS is hopeless (being polite)
    That seems to be some very thin tubing where it cracked. Was that a JRA or the result of a crash?

Karl

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick
    That seems to be some very thin tubing where it cracked. Was that a JRA or the result of a crash?

Karl
    Neither ...not saying I don't jump at all ...but only little xc stuff ... you know ... a foot or two at most. It was creaking for weeks before it went ...I couldn't find the problem ... then one night on the mag trainer .... bam ...pic tells the story.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

My ETSX-50 Broke too

Exact same bike....(2002 ETSX-50) which I bought in 2003 and have got about 14 months of riding on...Broke about 2 weeks ago. The frame cracked where the top tube meets the downd tube (at the weld). Was going uphill at the time. Looks like Rocky will replace but still waiting....

mtbr member
    This seems to be a very disturbing trend. For me it has been 5 weeks waiting and still no word, though I have not been pestering my bike shop about it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

new frames in production

apparantly (according to the warranty rep at my bike shop) there are no 2004 frames left anywhere. 2005's are in production and will be ready at the end of the month. Should be replaced by an '05 frame (which will come with a new rear shock).

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lgibson
    apparantly (according to the warranty rep at my bike shop) there are no 2004 frames left anywhere. 2005's are in production and will be ready at the end of the month. Should be replaced by an '05 frame (which will come with a new rear shock).
    This the same story I have with my KHS ... I have to wait for the 05 frames ...unfortunately they can't seem to tell me when they are due

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Upset This is unacceptable.

Too bad RM can’t be proactive like Turner and address these problems on the board. With the high end bike they sale it seems like some major flaw like this could do considerable damage to their reputation as a frame builder.

I currently own a 16.5” ETSX and was wondering, was it only the 19” breaking or smaller frames also? It seems a smaller frame would have an advantage over the larger; not only with a smaller lighter rider, but also less of a span to bridge between joints.

As for having to wait for new production run to be manufactured; this is a totally unacceptable excuse for a delay in getting you back on the trail. I suggest that you bill for downtime. i.e.: canceled reservations for MB vacations, cost of bike rental, etc. While I strongly doubt that you would receive any monetary compensation. It would raise eyebrows in finance at RM and tie someone up having to deal with these invoices. Thus making it worth while for upper management to step in and kick some a$$ to get you a frame.

RM is liable for their faulty design and should pretty much drop everything to make things right for you guys; not wait until it is convenient for them to start another production run.

In addition I know a guy here that has had the same problem with his ETSX, also a 19” he went through 4 frames. His was an 02 so this is an well known flaw that should have been fixed by now.

While this is all very unsettling for me as a new ETSX owner, its hard to judge just how big a problem cracked ETSX frames really is. Discussion boards being what they are, you tend only to hear about people with problems and not all the satisfied customers.

But I agree, one shouldn't have to wait for Rocky to produce next year's frames to get a warranty replacement. They are supposed to keep a certain number of frames for warranty purposes and if they saw them being used up faster than expected should of allocated more for warranty rather than just selling them off.

Why not call Rocky Mountain directly and ask to speak with Customer Service and see what they have to say?

Karl

keep the shiny side up!
    the etsx is prone to fail at that exact location. many other companies that have the same shock placement have the same problem. that's why you see the reinforcements on truth frames, nrs, etc. why rocky doesn't seem to want to reinforce this area is beyond me. i used to be die hard RM, but in light of some recent developments in the way RM deals with people, i am quite disappointed with the company itself. it's a shame cause they really do make bikes that ride very well.

I tend to agree that the shock mounts places a lot of load on the seat tube, and Ellsworth had a significant problem with their frames in a similar area. You'd think given the ETSX is a new deisgn, Rocky would of taken this into consideration with their design. The wall thickness of the seat tube looks to be about 2.5mm but it seems this just isn't enough in the real world. With the extensive use of computer modeling and stress analysis they should not have to guess on what was needed.

Looks like this is going to cost them a lot of money replacing all these frames under warranty.

I'd love to see a comment from Rocky on this.

Karl
    Last edited by kwarwick; 07-28-2004 at 04:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Mine was a 19" frame as well...They have promised me my new frame by the end of the month...

Jag
    mtbr member

I also think that larger frames are more susceptible....

Quote Originally Posted by mak7066

I currently own a 16.5” ETSX and was wondering, was it only the 19” breaking or smaller frames also? It seems a smaller frame would have an advantage over the larger; not only with a smaller lighter rider, but also less of a span to bridge between joints.
    The smaller span on the smaller frames would in theory make the tubeset more stout therefore not as susceptible to stress from the suspension movement...

The thing that behooves me is fact that pre 2004 the tubeset was Easton RAD (used on freeride bikes), therefore theoretically stronger than normal Easton elite tubing (2004).

Anyway that is a good question for the mass... "Have all the faulty frames been 19" frames or larger?"

I know if my frame broke (size 16.5") I would go bananas... because it is such a nice ride.

Jag

mtbr member
    Mine was a 19'er as well.

The scary thing is that I had never done any drops, jumps, or crazy downhills. I had never banged the frame on a rock, in fact the frame was virgin clean. It broke while climbing, snapped EXACTLY where the first poster's did.
    Last edited by Managuense; 07-28-2004 at 04:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    No, it's not limited to the 19" frames.........it just takes longer to occur in the 18" frame. You can detect the problem early on too. Just keep an eye on the seat tube, right below the weld on the inside. If you notice a 'blemish' in the paint, look more closely. If you see the paint "feathering" under the clear coat, the frame is already starting to fail. I noticed a sticker placed in that area on an ETSX-30 recently, so be sure to check under that as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast