Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2006

O-Rings & Bushings will be the death of me!

Here is my problem:

I researched and test rode 5 bikes before I decided to purchase a 2012 Element 950. It was a great bike for the first year (see my reviews). Now I am into year two and I cannot stop the "bleeding" (aka o-rings falling off and creaking noises for days).

Rocky Mountain: PLEASE make it easier for RM owners to locate and purchase replacement o-rings in bulk quantities at a reasonable price. I have spoken to RM and my "local" RM dealer (90 minute drive) and have been told I can buy "10 or so" o-rings and have them shipped to my house for $20. THIS PRICE AND QUANTITY IS SIMPLY NOT ACCEPTABLE. I have replaced half of the o-rings in the past few months and the others are cracking and ready to go. I plan on having this frame for 3-4 more years...so I'm guessing I am going to need multiple bags of $20 o-rings.

Also...it seems to be very difficult for multiple RM customers to find replacement o-rings locally (see thread on this RM page). I have tried with no luck. These specific o-rings have inner/outer measurements, thickness, and rubber compound that is simply not readily available.

NOISE: I have become proficient at servicing every aspect of my frame (except REMOVING the main pivot bearings and Igus bushing just above the BB). I have performed service on all pivots, headset, cranks, chainrings/bolts, rear through axle, derailleur hanger, cable routing, etc/rest of the bike and still cannot eliminate a major creak coming out of the BB area. Neither can my LBS.

I am stumped, frustrated, and tired...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Could a small bead of silicone sealant be an alternative method of keeping the crud out? Obviously it would need to break loose from the surfaces of the stays so perhaps apply it over a light smear of grease....once set it should be pretty durable, it always seems to be pretty strong stuff whenever you need to remove it!
    Rocky Mountain 2003 Hammer, 2009 Vertex 70 RSL, 2012 Element 970
    2012 Wilier Triestina Gran Turismo

mtbr member
    I feel your pain. But even though I don't have the o-ring problem, I had to replace the bushings after 1 year. Do you store your bike in direct sunlight? Maybe that is what's causing the o-rings to crumble? Mine is always in a dark shed. My o-rings still look great.

chips & bier
    Regarding the noise: are you tightening the main pivot down to spec? I have to 'modern' RMBs that had a creaky swingarm, recurrently, and I'm pretty certain this was down to me not using enough torque when reassembling. Also, last time anything creaked I was 100% sure it was the swingarm main pivot, but after hours of goofing around it turned out to be the dropout pivots.

I don't know high they have the heating or airco cranked up when RMB assembles, but every new bike I've ever had (all RMBs ;-)) had a creaky pivot within a couple of days of riding. All except my very first Element, and that used semi-permanent Loctite on the pivot hardware. I'll take creaks in that case!

mtbr member

RE: O-Rings & Bushings will be the death of me!

Yikes. Knock on wood as thankfully i have not had any of those problems after 12 months with my 950. Only a cable and housing that was too short aft of the bb. Knock on wood, knock on wood, knock on wood...
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

mtbr member
    May 2006
    According to RM, silicone would NOT be an option.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Stored in garage...no direct sunlight. The o-rings were fine the first year...now one falls off every 1-2 months (even after I replaced worn, but NOT snapped o-rings).

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I am using a torque wrench and tightening to the high end of RM specs.

I also had the creaking main pivot and have serviced it multiple times chasing down creaks.

My LBS called RM and they said they have traced a lot of noise to the Igus bushings in the main pivot just above the BB. Now I have to buy a punch in order to get the old bushings out...DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY RECOMMENDATIONS ON FINDING THE CORRECT PUNCH???

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Mine was fairly quiet for the first year. Now I cannot chase down the big creak that seems to be coming from the BB/crank area when I torque on it (standing and sitting).

I have worked on it and my LBS has as well. I just bought a new BB and that did not solve it. Going to try new bushings in main pivot next. LBS says cranks, rings, and bolts look good. Everything has been removed, cleaned, greased, and torqued.

The troubling thing is that this creak has developed AFTER receiving much love, cleaning, greasing (if necessary), and proper torque. It seems like I'll never solve the problem.

chips & bier
    Can you reproduce the creak while not actually riding the bike? It's a long shot, but trying to get the creak to repeat in a relatively quiet space sometimes helps isolate where it comes from.

I could always reproduce my creak by compressing the suspension, then hanging over the bike and torquing the cranks by grabbing a hold of both pedals with my hands and pulling in the pedaling direction. "Clunk" on suspension compression, "creak" on 'pedaling'.

The single time this turned out not to be the main pivot was on my Altitude, where it was a tiny amount of play on the dropout pivots. I could produce the same creak by setting the bike against the wall, and rocking the rear wheel back and forth by pushing/pulling on the top of it with my hand.

ups and downs
    A lack of grease on the main pivot metal to metal contact points is the most common cause of creaking, especially creaks near the BB.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Identifying the creaking! Has anyone used a screwdriver by placing the handle end to ones ear?
    I use this method to identify engine noise,works like a stethescope.
    Altitude 750 2014

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have greased and re-greased the rear axle many times.

mtbr member
    I had that creak .......drove me nutzzzz .
    It ended up being the "plug" under the BB where the cables exit out of the
    the frame .
    Took it out , cleaned some crud out then wrapped some teflon tape around
    the plug and reassembled .
    Problem solved :-))

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    OK I had some o rings breaking as well. Went on amazon and ordered.

M1.5x20 Buna-N O-ring, 70A Durometer, Round, Black, 20 mm ID, 23 mm OD, 1.5 mm Width (Pack of 100): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

They fit fine and for the price I can replace them every week.

If you want to try them teacher, pm me your address, I'll send you a few.

I had creaking issues as well. Like you I am almost proficient servicing this thing entirely.

Turned out the red ferrels combined with dust make a mean creak. Clean them where the derailleur cables enter the frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I can't understand why RM uses bushings. While there might be some advantages (I guess), hunting down proprietary parts sucks, and if installed too tightly, the bushings wear down the frame.

RM - Go bearings and don't look back. You have some nice bikes.

Edited for (I'm ashamed to say) spelling
    Last edited by Pisgah; 10-25-2013 at 03:42 PM.

mtbr member

O-Rings & Bushings will be the death of me!

This issue is a big part of why I left all things ABC at RMB
    NSMBA Member

mtbr member
    I really want to go 2014 RMB Altitude this spring but all these issues about creaks and such are starting to give me second thoughts?? Any Words?

mtbr member
    My Element 970 has creaked once. I lubed the pivot axles and the bike has been silent ever since.

chips & bier
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah View Post
    ...if installed too tightly, the bushings wear down the frame.
    My understanding is the female alloy parts bottom out on each other, so there should be no way you can overtighten the bushings. Seems to me it's the other way around. Maybe RMB can elaborate?

I'm fine with bushings as long as the costs don't go out of control. Direct question for RMB: would replacing the alloy parts with (polished) stainless steel make any difference? I'm sure the extra grams would be well worth it for quite a number of users here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    At best they'd require constant lubing...and would still probably end up galling. ABC bushings are self-lubricated.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the o-ring info. I ditched the red aluminum ferrels within the first few months.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have greased the main pivot axle so many times I can do it in my sleep.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I am going to eventually replace the main pivot axle bushings. I have been servicing all pivots...again. Eliminated much of the noise by tearing apart the rear pivots and derailleur hanger. There are still little noises.

chips & bier
    A little feedback from where I am now.

I have two ABC bikes, an older Element and an Altitude since this summer. The Altitude bushings show some signs of wear after 3 months of hard use. Quite a number of 8-10 hour days and many, many, many nasty runs down. Quite some mud, too.

The Element I replaced the bushings on the bottom of the link this summer. Lots of riding, including an atrociously wet Tour Mont Blanc and a lot of local riding (hurt my back so the Vertex stayed at home...). The bushings look absolutely pristine. The bushings on the top of the link were visibly used, as was the alloy hardware, so didn't replace them. I figured I'd ride them until they deteriorate further, and try lubing them with RSP UltraSlick (a bit like Judy Butter ;-)) for the time being Of the four bushings there, one looked a little worse for wear, the rest seemed no worse than last time I checked.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast