mtbr member

Not using all the travel ????

Hi I just got a new to me 2011 element MSL, and can't get all the travel out of the shock. I weigh 225 lbs with gear and have the pressure at 160 psi and the sag is passed the mark on the pivot by a little bit. I went out tonight and rode pretty hard had some air and this is what I had left. Is this normal? Not using all the travel ????-imageuploadedbytapatalk1344403720.090648.jpg

mtbr member
    No replies, I have the shock pressure down to 150psi and sag has to be 40% and I still can't get full travel, is there a possibility that there is something wrong with shock, I am at a loss. The most I can get for travel is what the picture shows, I have been riding it, but would like to use all the travel.
    Thanks Shawn

mtbr member
    Do you have ProPedal on by mistake? Too much compression dampening maybe?
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Let all the air out and see how far it will go in.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    You've got 60lbs on me. My back shock has 140lbs. With the pro-pedal off, I use all the travel, but have never felt the shock bottom-out. I would estimate from your photo that my O-ring is about 0.5cm further in the shock's travel. I have the sag lined up perfectly with the sag indicator at 140lbs. If your propedal is off and that's all the travel you're getting, there may be something up with your shock. With the pro-pedal on (I set it at 2) the shock is noticeably firmer, and I don't use all the travel.

My advice would be to not worry about it and ride for the rest of the summer while the weather is good, then send it in for servicing. Fox shocks need regular service anyways. I'd recommend Suspensionwerx in North Vancouver. Their work is fantastic, and they have fair prices.

If you're going to keep the bike for a few years, you should send the fork in too. They can add compression damping to the stock fork which makes an enormous difference to the way the bike handles. I just did this and wish I'd done it sooner. Way more capable downhill.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zonoskar View Post
    Let all the air out and see how far it will go in.
    I did it go's to the end with a little to spare so the suspension movement is working

mtbr member
    Sweetness thanks for the recommendation will check it out, I was thinking the same thing finish the season and send the shock and fork in to get serviced I have not thought to much about getting them re valved but who knows. I don't have propedal it is a Fox RL and its not locked out. Thank you all Shawn

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    That rear shock isnt the XV can is it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdubb30 View Post
    That rear shock isnt the XV can is it?
    No I don't think so, it say's high volume

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Maybe I had that confused. I think the XV and high volume are the same thing. Either way, I was referring to the high volume can. So ive heard others with issues getting full travel out of there high volume shocks. I have one on my bmc trailfox 02 and i have to run it at 110psi to get full travel and Im 170. Its the mid tune as well..

I will say, the issue has been with others that weight less. You being 225 shouldn't have that issue, in theory. Ive read others have used spacers (to take up air space I believe) and have adjusted the oil. You may want to research that more. Perhaps you have the spacers or too much oil? Even tho the XV cans are more suited to the lighter rider...

I personally, am not concerned with mine because Im getting full travel but then again, I would like to get a normal sag rating so that I get that top to bottom, plush feel....
    Last edited by cdubb30; 09-19-2012 at 10:17 PM.