mtbr member
    Jul 2011

New shock for 2012 slayer

I've seen some posts about running a coil shock but I was wondering if anyone has swapped out the rp23 for anything else and how it worked. My rp23 has lost the boost valve and I've warrantied it twice before for other issues so I'm just tired of dealing with it, I always thought that it seemed like a light shock for a 165mm travel bike. Id like something with a propedal or stiffening option because its really nice for the climbs but I don't want to run it hard all the time for the downhills. I've had DHX air (now float x) on other bikes and really liked them. I don't know, any ideas?

I like bikes
    You should do the Cane Creek DBAir and let me know how it goes!!!
    The older I get, the faster I was.....

ups and downs
    Keep in mind that the shock linkage leverage curve will be optimized for an air shock, so that means it will take advantage of the air shock's ability to ramp up the compression as it nears the end of it's travel. If you put a coil shock on the bike, with its linear spring curve, you will likely find that you blow through travel more quickly and tend to bottom out the shock more often. So that would mean you need to bump up the coil sizing to manage the full travel behaviour and then that will compromise the small bump and mid-travel feel.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I put an x-fusion vector HLR coil on mine and I love it. Pointing down it's better than the RP23 in every way. Going up it's not bad, just a tad slower. I never really thought the pro-pedal did much anyway. The bike really does feel smoother and more "endless" in it's travel. Also the increase in adjustability is great, RP23 sucks in that regard.

That being said, I never tuned my RP23, which I'm sure would have helped too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    If you put a coil shock on the bike, with its linear spring curve, you will likely find that you blow through travel more quickly and tend to bottom out the shock more often. So that would mean you need to bump up the coil sizing to manage the full travel behaviour and then that will compromise the small bump and mid-travel feel.
    I disagree on this bike.

I used to blow through the travel on the RP23, and with the piggyback on the vector, I can tune the ramp-up at the end. Do you by any chance have a graph of the slayer's leverage curve? I tried to make my own by doing measurements, which is hard, and I found it to be relatively linear.

ups and downs
    Here's the leverage ratio graph out of Linkage, it is a falling ratio to help manage the full travel behaviour, but not as a sharp a drop in leverage ratio as you might want with a coil shock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New shock for 2012 slayer-rmb-slayer-2011_levratio.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I am looking at trying a different rear shock on my Slayer as well. Do you know what length shock the Slayer requires? Would a Vivid Air be possible with the Slayers 165mm travel?

ups and downs
    It's a 7.875" x 2.25" I2I shock.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks for the measurement rockyuphill. I am thinking of building my Slayer up with some downhill rims and a heavier rear shock. Do you think the Vivid Air would work?

ups and downs
    As long you order it with the right valving there's no reason a Vivid shouldn't work, but when you look at the 2014 Slayers, they are fitted with a Monarch Plus RC3. Often the bigger shocks with more adjustments don't get you as much as you'd hope they would.

The older Slayer SXC 70's were fitted with a DHX 4.0 Air and the Slayer SXC 50's had RP3's and the RP3's were really a better match. YMMV. If you're patient and persistent and like to make the effort to tune a more tunable shock, then you get more out of it. But you need to spend that time to get any benefit (and you need to make sure you buy a shock valved for the bike rather than a generic valving).

Quote Originally Posted by In to View Post
    Thanks for the measurement rockyuphill. I am thinking of building my Slayer up with some downhill rims and a heavier rear shock. Do you think the Vivid Air would work?