mtbr member
    Jun 2012

new BB and cranks for my element 950

About to replace my GXP BB. looking around Amazon.

Not sure what to get, is it a GXP 92mm BB.

Shall I go with x9 or do you guys feel there is better valued options out there.

Would this one work?

Amazon.com: Truvativ X.9 GXP 2.2 10-Speed 175 3926 Crankset with Bottom Bracket: Sports & Outdoors

Not sure about that BB.

Thanks

ups and downs
    It would be a GXP BB-92 press in bearing assembly.

What's the primary goal for the change in cranks? Lighter weight? Change in gearing?

The OE spec was Sram S1400 170-175mm 24/38 2x10 spd. SRAM would actually have a specific S3 low direct mount front derailleur for each of the 28/42, 26/39, 24/38 and 22/36 2x10 chainring combos, so if you're changing front chainring sizes you'd need to change the front derailleur as well.

I'd be inclined to go with Race Face Turbines instead of SRAM cranks.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks rocky, not sure. Just want to change something on my bike. You know the feeling.

I don't need to change front chain ring size, what I have is perfect.

Might just keep what I have a buy new chainrings. Those have to be replaced within the near future. Thought I upgrade with something a bit lighter.

But it dsnt look like that X7(s1400) is much heavier then x9. Any other differences you know off?

Also do you know why do they use truvativ and sram seemingly interchangeably?

As always thank you!

mtbr member
    If you're going to change something, change the wheels. Assuming you're on the stock wheelset.

ups and downs
    The Truvativ/SRAM thing is mostly just fuzzy marketing decisions on SRAM's part. It used to be that Truvativ made cranks and SRAM made shifty bits, but they've blurred that distinction in the past few years, likely to offer complete branded drivetrains to compete with Shimano. It all comes out of the same factories, it just seems to be which decal they decide to stick on it. In the past the SRAM branded cranks were a bit more posh for finish and detail, but even that isn't consistently true anymore.

The Truvativ 2x10 X-9 cranks are 861gms for a 26/38 gear w/GXP BB.

The SRAM 2x10 X-7 cranks are 871gms for 26/39 gears with a GXP BB

The SRAM 2x10 S1400 cranks are 890gms for 26/39 gears with a GXP BB

The Race Face Turbine cranks are 795gms for 26/38 gears with a press fit BB

The Race Face Turbine SL cranks are 770gms for 26/38 gears with a press fit BB

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Rockyuphill...I was wondering the same thing when it comes time to replace stock cranks on my 2012 Element 950.

Should I stick with an all SRAM drivetrain? Will the drivetrain perform better if all parts come from the same manufacturer?

Or...would Race Face cranks work just as well as SRAM cranks?

ups and downs
    The RF Turbines or Next cranks will work every bit as good or better than the SRAM cranks. I think XTR still have a slight edge in shifting performance, but the difference between RF and XTR is much smaller than between the SRAM and RF cranks.

You definitely don't want to mix SRAM cassettes with Shimano chains, that seems to be a recipe for rapid wear on the big SRAM alloy cog.

My personal preference for shifters is still the XTR with the multi-gear up and down shifts.

mtbr member
    How does a crank make any difference in shifting performance? You're talking about the chainrings, right? It shouldn't matter which crank you're using. Although the XTR chainrings don't fit other cranks...

ups and downs
    XTR chainrings are the slickest shifting of anything I've ridden, noticeable in the 2x10 game. But really expensive to replace and they don't fit any other cranks.

SRAM 3x9 cranks used to have a 51mm chainline instead of 50mm that Shimano and RF had (although RF have always kept some adjustability of chainline), and that made them a but crankier (ha ha ha) about chainline. I honestly have taken a close look at how their 2x10 chainline compared to Shimano/RF.

Weight was the thing that enticed me back to Race Face over XTR.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new BB and cranks for my element 950-2012_0331new0005.jpg  

new BB and cranks for my element 950-2012_0331new0002.jpg