Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

My Element 950 mods

15K views 67 replies 23 participants last post by  Mike123456 
#1 ·
Just got done the first round of changes on my newly aquired 950 .

Easton EA 90's set up tubeless
Rockshok Reba RL
Alligator i Link shift cables
Carbon stem cap
Assorted red detailing
Presently comes in at 27.2 pounds .
By comparisson , my Cannondale Rush(alloy) with carbon Lefty and carbon and
Ti bits was 26.7 pounds .

Not done yet ......
Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

Blue Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle Red

Bicycle accessory Red Bicycle part Carmine Bicycle

Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Bicycle part Spoke Rim

Bicycle part Bicycle frame Bicycle accessory Bicycle Transport

Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle Bicycle drivetrain part Bicycle chain

See less See more
#56 ·
2013 - The Sidi grips fell apart before the 2013 season ended .
The foam is firmer then most other foam grips and minor
bumps and falls caused the Sidi foam to break .

The Tioga Spider seat apparently isnt intended for off road use
and the rails bent before season's end .
Guess I didnt read the fine print .

#62 ·
Oooh yeah! If you get caught the wrong way after hanging over the back of that then you could experience some kind of "removal" procedure!

Nice bike BTW, probably a shade lighter than my 970 now, I think, though these bikes ride light, I don't really notice the extra couple of kilos over my Vertex RSL.

#64 ·
It is a sweet bike by the way... not trying to downplay, just a question about the saddle is all (since I have the exact same one). I actually decided to use my full carbon saddle yesterday for a slightly less techy ride on familiar territory (where I wasn't too concerned about shorn scrotums, etc.). I rode for 2 hrs and at first it actually seemed like it might be comfortable, then after 1 1/2 hrs I felt it... and getting close to 2 hrs it was almost unbearable (to the point of me thinking I need to take it off immediately). Today I am a bit bruised and sore etc. not somethign I get from other saddles (unless riding for 3-4+ hours maybe). I just don't feel the seat is good in really any situation... the cost/benefit weight wise just isn't there for me. Unless the seat was really comfortable and the trail not really technical... then I'd rather just use something with some cushion. Anyhow, back to my favourite comfy 300gm Synchros. I think I'll not try to skimp weight on those key components (I also went back to lock on grips from the foam ones I had put on to save weight and went to heavy-ish XT disc brakes). I'm still at about 24lbs, so not bad...

On another note, my super lightweight (ie. 140gm) carbon post broke from under me the other day too (see here). So back to something strong... not going to have that happen again!

Cheers,

Jeremy

#65 ·
The seat was only $50 so if I dont like it , I still have the stocker .
I dont mind trying different components to save weight if the cost
isnt too prohibitive .
I have a 24 Hr Race next month and for sure the carbon one will be coming off
for that . LOL
After a round of all the different trails I ride , I will make a judgement on the
carbon seat .
Thanks for the compliment Jeremy .
What brand was your seatpost ?

#66 ·
Just cheap China carbon... I think it said Bontrager, but it's up in a tree somewhere on the trail where I tossed it. haha

Cheers, good luck in the 24hr... sounds awesome!

I just built my RSL a few months ago... loving it so far although botton bracket clearance is really low. Trying to get used to that. I have a few marathon races this year (I'm pretty new to racing)... Test of Metal, NIMBY 50, Gearjammer etc. Squamish/Pemberton stuff. Hard to get the training volume in, but I'm hoping to survive the 3-4 hours it will take!

Cheers!

#67 ·
2012 Element 950

I've been meaning to post up for a few months but kept forgetting.

Anyways here is the swap list:
2012 Easton Carbon Haven Wheelset
Schwalbe RaRa (rear), tubeless
Schwalbe (NN) front, tubeless
Thomson MP seatpost
EC70 wide bars
EA90 stem, 120mm
WTB Rocket V Team saddle (ti rails)
RaceFace Strafe grips

Extras:
Time ATAC Absalon pedals
EC90 bar ends/bull horns
mucky nutz fender bender
trail bell (hikers on some of my trails)
light bracket
VDO bike computer, bracket, wire & sensor
bottle cage
air pump cage bracket
lizard skins chain stay protector

With the above swap and extras list she comes in at 27.2 lbs. Given the pedals are listed at 350g and the bar ends I think are 80g maybe without all of the above extras she'd weigh about 26 lbs even?

The only other mod I'm thinking about is swapping the U-turn cartridge in the RS revelation fork for a two-step cartridge but it'll run me $200 all-in for the convenience of not having to make 13 turns between 95mm and 120mm.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.