Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

My Element 950 mods

15K views 67 replies 23 participants last post by  Mike123456 
#1 ·
Just got done the first round of changes on my newly aquired 950 .

Easton EA 90's set up tubeless
Rockshok Reba RL
Alligator i Link shift cables
Carbon stem cap
Assorted red detailing
Presently comes in at 27.2 pounds .
By comparisson , my Cannondale Rush(alloy) with carbon Lefty and carbon and
Ti bits was 26.7 pounds .

Not done yet ......
Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

Blue Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle Red

Bicycle accessory Red Bicycle part Carmine Bicycle

Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Bicycle part Spoke Rim

Bicycle part Bicycle frame Bicycle accessory Bicycle Transport

Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle Bicycle drivetrain part Bicycle chain

See less See more
#38 ·
Since this thread is about 950 mods, I have to recommend swapping out the EA70. The deal is that easton uses small bolts (4mm), and the barrel nut is based on a std bolt but with a cheezy insert to downsize the nut's thread to accommodate the bolt. So the machined part in the nut's thread are large enough for 5mm bolt and then they've bonded the actual thread for the 5mm. This bonded thread isn't durable and creaking gave way to frayed/stripped threads.

Trouble is you can't easily source a spare at most bike shops. They're parts bins will be filled with bolt/nut combo's too big to fit this EA70. I wish easton had just spec's a std bolt size and sucked up the weight.

This is such a small detail that I really don't think RMB_PM could have caught it in the 2012 or 2013 spec, but ask they give this some thought before spec'ing EA70 again. A Turbine would have been better way to go...

So my 2c is to go Reverb right away and just keep the EA70 for backup when reverb is in for service.

#39 ·
A dropper post is mostly relevant to the terrain you ride .
West coast , BC , etc ..... sure .
For me , in Southwestern Ontario (CAN) ...... it makes no sense terrain wise
especially for the added weight .
Set it and forget it :thumbsup:

#40 ·
@ccdaddy, given your terrain and weight weeniness, why say this about 950? Surely the 970 or the Vertex are better match for you to 'set & forget'. 950 and BC Edition have bigger forks for tougher terrain, hence the Reverb would apply if you're using it as intended by RMB..

#42 ·
Islander - The 970 was out of my budget and the Vertex is a hardtail (not for me) .
The "set it and forget it" was in reference to the seatpost height , not the bike ....
(if that was what you were referring to ) .
The stock Rockshox Rev RL was swapped for a Reba RL (less weight/travel )

#45 · (Edited)
RE Matchmaker positioning :

"In that photo you’re using the left bolt hole on the shifter, using the right one would move the shifter away from your thumb while maintaining the brake lever position."

- Sharp eye but unfortunately the second hole is not threaded to accept a bolt .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.