Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: glorth2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    497

    Cool-blue Rhythm My 2013 Element 950RSL build

    Sorry these pics aren't better. I'll have to get a real camera at some point. This thing kills!
    My 2013 Element 950RSL build-9501.jpgMy 2013 Element 950RSL build-9502.jpgMy 2013 Element 950RSL build-9503.jpgMy 2013 Element 950RSL build-9504.jpgMy 2013 Element 950RSL build-9505.jpg

    Front Shock Fox 32 Float 29 100 Dual Remote CTD
    Rear Shock Fox Float Dual Remote CTD Custom Race Valved
    Stem Race Face Turbine 110mm
    Handlebar Race Face Next Flat Wide (red)
    Grips Specialized Body Geometry Contour XCT
    Brakes SRAM X0
    Brake Levers SRAM X0
    Drivetrain SRAM X0 2x10
    Wheels Mavic Crossmax ST
    Front Tire Continental X King
    Rear Tire Continental Race King
    Seat Post Race Face Next SL
    Saddle Specialized Phenom Expert
    Pedals Time ATAC Carbon
    Bottle Cage Specialized Rib Cage Carbon

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: reydin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    991
    Well done!
    This may be a total waste of time but I can't help but think that you might amount to something someday.

  3. #3
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,651
    ...and how's it ride compared to your ETSX?
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 05-27-2013 at 06:36 AM.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: binrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    67
    Nice, very nice.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    122

    Re: My 2013 Element 950RSL build

    Beautiful!

    Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: glorth2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    497
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    ...and how's it ride compared to your ETSX?
    More to come, I don't want to dis the ETSX because it performed great for a long time. I also had it set up as more of a XC bike so it didn't feel very all mountain-ey. That said, this thing is just blazing fast. I can't believe how fast. I'm having trouble dialing my speed into turns in and, thus, coming out but that'll come.

    PS.
    It's 26.1 pounds for a large.

  7. #7
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,651
    Have you found that the bike has pretty much the same pedaling characteristics as the ETSX?

    Quote Originally Posted by glorth2 View Post
    More to come, I don't want to dis the ETSX because it performed great for a long time. I also had it set up as more of a XC bike so it didn't feel very all mountain-ey. That said, this thing is just blazing fast. I can't believe how fast. I'm having trouble dialing my speed into turns in and, thus, coming out but that'll come.

    PS.
    It's 26.1 pounds for a large.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: glorth2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    497
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Have you found that the bike has pretty much the same pedaling characteristics as the ETSX?
    Hmmm. I've got the same drivetrain on this as I had on the ETSX so, hard for me to say. Can you be more specific? I may not be able to speak as technically about this as you want.

    PS.
    I like that stupid ****ing lever now. Only took 2 rides. :/

  9. #9
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,651
    Just in terms of the way the bike responds to pedal input, the way the front end sometimes feel like it just floats up over things the way the ETSX did, and the chain growth being negligible when you G-out the bike.

    With the 26" Element MSL I found it had all the things I liked about the ETSX pedal response. The 29" Instinct I have is similar but I'm still getting it dialed in.

    Quote Originally Posted by glorth2 View Post
    Hmmm. I've got the same drivetrain on this as I had on the ETSX so, hard for me to say. Can you be more specific? I may not be able to speak as technically about this as you want.

    PS.
    I like that stupid ****ing lever now. Only took 2 rides. :/
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: glorth2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    497
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Just in terms of the way the bike responds to pedal input, the way the front end sometimes feel like it just floats up over things the way the ETSX did, and the chain growth being negligible when you G-out the bike.

    With the 26" Element MSL I found it had all the things I liked about the ETSX pedal response. The 29" Instinct I have is similar but I'm still getting it dialed in.
    Well, I have to say that the ETSX was just a climbing beast. I only had one ride at the trail I go to with difficult climbs but it did great. If there was any difference between how well the ETSX climbed and this it is minimal and negated by all the positive aspects of this bike.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    13
    Sorry to revive an old thread... But I'm comparing the Element 950 to a Speshy Epic and was wondering how the bike has been treating you? Any input, complaints or advice?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: glorth2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    497
    Quote Originally Posted by PrisonCityStandout View Post
    Sorry to revive an old thread... But I'm comparing the Element 950 to a Speshy Epic and was wondering how the bike has been treating you? Any input, complaints or advice?
    No problem. Bear in mind that I bought mine very customized. That said, the other bike I was considering was the Epic. It's a great line of bikes. My big problem with them was that they seemed to be much more expensive than the Element line per gruppo. Ie. an XT Epic would cost thousands more than an XT Element RSL. Being a Rocky fan already and feeling these were works of art, I went with the 950RSL and built it just like I wanted. I am still in love with the thing. Really the only thing I don't like is the tire choice in that I wanted to run tubeless, had them put on my Mavics tubeless and have had trouble off and on with them holding air. I get that they're "ultra-light race tires" or whatever but I can't go fast when I'm walking my bike. I'll be replacing the Contis with UST Maxxis ASAP. Let me know if you have any more questions. Happy to answer.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: glorth2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    497
    Can anyone help me out with an aftermarket, ano-red, seatpost clamp with a quick release for a 2013 950RSL? Nothing wrong with the Rocky one. Just want to dress it up a bit. Thanks!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    104
    Chris King? I had a blue one on a Superlight (that was stolen, the bike I mean) and it matched the other blue bits perfectly. The red would look nice on your fine looking bike.

    PS -- I just bought one myself, but opted for the Shimano drivetrain. I had SRAM XO on an earlier bike and wanted to try something different. Cheers!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    104
    How's that white seat on the Element? I'm the kind of rider who quickly switches out stock saddles for something I favour but it would be nice to have one that matches the bike, as you do...

  16. #16
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,651
    With the RSL frame you want a tall collar, I think the factory one is 11mm or 12mm tall. That helps spread the clamping force out so it's less likely to damage the carbon. You want one with a big over-centre cam action. Salsa are not a good choice as there isn't enough loose to tight ratio. The Salsa are nice for the bolt on collars. Hope make a nice QR collar, but they have a butt ugly lever handle. Woodman do a nice tall 34.9mm clamp in red

    Universal Cycles -- Woodman TC-Ti QR Seat Clamp

    Quote Originally Posted by glorth2 View Post
    Can anyone help me out with an aftermarket, ano-red, seatpost clamp with a quick release for a 2013 950RSL? Nothing wrong with the Rocky one. Just want to dress it up a bit. Thanks!
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: glorth2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    497
    Quote Originally Posted by tkehler View Post
    How's that white seat on the Element? I'm the kind of rider who quickly switches out stock saddles for something I favour but it would be nice to have one that matches the bike, as you do...
    tkehler,

    Congrats on the bike. Specialized do a great job on their saddles. No complaints at all!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: glorth2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    497
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    With the RSL frame you want a tall collar, I think the factory one is 11mm or 12mm tall. That helps spread the clamping force out so it's less likely to damage the carbon. You want one with a big over-centre cam action. Salsa are not a good choice as there isn't enough loose to tight ratio. The Salsa are nice for the bolt on collars. Hope make a nice QR collar, but they have a butt ugly lever handle. Woodman do a nice tall 34.9mm clamp in red

    Universal Cycles -- Woodman TC-Ti QR Seat Clamp
    Thanks Rocky. At the risk of sounding stupid, why would I get a 34.9? bikes.com says the Element posts are 30.9.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: reydin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    991
    Quote Originally Posted by glorth2 View Post
    Thanks Rocky. At the risk of sounding stupid, why would I get a 34.9? bikes.com says the Element posts are 30.9.
    two words, outside diameter….
    This may be a total waste of time but I can't help but think that you might amount to something someday.

  20. #20
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,651
    Yep, what he said. 34.9mm is the diameter of the seat tube where it is machined for the collar
    Quote Originally Posted by reydin View Post
    two words, outside diameter….
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: glorth2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    497
    OK. Cool. I was trying to find this in the geometry but didn't see it. Thanks again!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: glorth2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    497
    My 2013 Element 950RSL build-img_0206.jpg

Similar Threads

  1. 2013 Element 999 RSL
    By Misty69 in forum Rocky Mountain
    Replies: 191
    Last Post: 4 Days Ago, 03:17 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-30-2013, 09:38 AM
  3. Element 970 RSL 2013
    By pbasinger in forum Rocky Mountain
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-27-2013, 01:43 PM
  4. Where there any changes to 2013 RM Element 70 MSL's?
    By NightOWL in forum Rocky Mountain
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-19-2013, 10:52 AM
  5. 2013 element 26"
    By spankone in forum Rocky Mountain
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-08-2012, 06:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •