mtbr member

MSL dropper questions

Hi every one, I just got a 2011 MSL 50 and am wondering if any one is using a dropper post and if so what size will work? I am thinking reverb or maybe new crankbros one any opinions. Any reason not to use a dropper post on the this bike? I just had my first trail ride with it and its fast and fun to ride. Thank in advance Shawn

ups and downs
    You'll need a 30.9mm dropper seat post. I'd also order a bolt type seat post collar, like the ones on the RSL frame, then you can properly torque the clamp bolt. No reason not to use a dropper post (other than the weight of most dropper posts).
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    what length 350mm 425mm?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have a 2011 MSL and am also thinking about a dropper post. The big issue for me is that most dropper posts have the cable connect to the top of the post, which leaves this large piece of cable to get caught, or rub on your back tire when the post is down.

I've heard that Rockshox Reverbs will be available in their stealth format to everyone next year. Someone at a bike shop recently said lots of Rocky team guys were drilling small holes in their MSL frames to fit a dropper post cable internally... Not sure I'd want to try this, and obviously taking a drill to a carbon frame would void any warranty, but I'd really like to run a Reverb Stealth! Anyone heard of people drilling into their frames or any other way to run a reverb stealth or other post without the long loop of cable on their 2011 MSL's?

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by hags707 View Post
    what length 350mm 425mm?
    You still need to select that length based on how long your legs are, just like a fixed seatpost, you want at least 100mm of seatpost in the frame.

If you look at the new Crank Brothers Kronolog or the KS LEV they have the release cable enter at the fixed base of the post so you don't have a loop of cable to deal with. The important thing to watch is that you get enough drop in the exposed post above the valve mechanism since the MSL has a fairly tall seat mast.

chips & bier
    @Sweetness: I've seen people do this on the Ibis forum. I wasn't ready to drill a hole in mine yet, so I solved it like this:

I run a Specialized Command Post Blacklite, as I need the setback. The seat clamp mechanism is funky (needs a ridiculous amount of torque to the conical wedge design) but so far so good.

@hags707: In the case of my Specialized post I swapped the 425 mm I bought originally for a 380 mm version. The reason being this: the Element frames have a minimum insertion of 100 mm, but also a maximum insertion. Push a seatpost down far enough and it will bottom out (or get pressed into) the tapered lower part of the downtube.

In my case the margin between "correct post height" and "slipped post on a bad landing" was pretty small, like 3 cm or so, so I swapped for a 380 mm post.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm still not 100% convinced I want a telescopic post. I know I'd love it when it's working, but every race I do I see someone at the start line fail to start because he's mucking about with his adjustable seat post, and I don't want to be that guy.

The KS Lev does look promising though. Does anyone know of a dealer in the lower mainland?

Anyone on this forum riding one? Heard about reliability?

mtbr member
    Well i got a fox doss 100mm dropper post it is nice works good on the street, will test it out proper when rain stops.

mtbr member
    I run mine parallel to the brake hose, then up the seat tube. Nice and out of the way...

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    @Sweetness: I've seen people do this on the Ibis forum. I wasn't ready to drill a hole in mine yet, so I solved it like this:

I run a Specialized Command Post Blacklite, as I need the setback. The seat clamp mechanism is funky (needs a ridiculous amount of torque to the conical wedge design) but so far so good.

@hags707: In the case of my Specialized post I swapped the 425 mm I bought originally for a 380 mm version. The reason being this: the Element frames have a minimum insertion of 100 mm, but also a maximum insertion. Push a seatpost down far enough and it will bottom out (or get pressed into) the tapered lower part of the downtube.

In my case the margin between "correct post height" and "slipped post on a bad landing" was pretty small, like 3 cm or so, so I swapped for a 380 mm post.
    Product Manager
    RMB
    Main Rides: 14 Proto - 13 Element RSL 29 - 13 Altitude MSL - 13 Prestige RSL

chips & bier
    Quote Originally Posted by RMB-PM View Post
    I run mine parallel to the brake hose, then up the seat tube. Nice and out of the way...
    Yeah, IMHO that's by far the cleanest solution. Did you zip-tie the hydraulic lines together?

I opted for the method in the pic as I only had el cheapo zip-ties lying around (fixing to the brake hose wasn't working too wel...) and wanted something that was easy to mount/remove at the time.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I ride the 2012 Element 970 and my wife the 950. We just went on a MTB vacation to Bend, OR and road for 6 straight days. During our trip, we got convinced to pick up dropper posts and they are amazing.

My wife got the Reverb and I got the D.O.S.S. Not sure which I prefer, but the hydraulic and fully infinite adjustability vs. the 3 presets seems to be the big debate. Otherwise, the D.O.S.S. seems over-engineered to compensate for all of the reliability issues with most droppers and the Reverb seems to be the bench when it comes to the fact that it offers infinite adjust.

Either way, I'm now convinced droppers are the way to go despite the cost (ouch) and weight penalty (ouch). Hard to imagine, but it will change the way you ride!

ups and downs
    and now there's a Thomson in the mix.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Yep. It seems that FOX got super slammed in reviews / customer expectations because of the bar that everyone expected from them, not to mention the price point that they positioned their product. I get the sense they went over 'over-engineered' given the reliability issues faced with droppers... but jury is probably still out and whether or not folks see the value in the price point is tbd.

Given that... will be interesting to see what kind of product Thomson comes out with and at what price. If expectations were high for Fox... imagine for Thomson. Also interesting to see that they're moving onto handlebars as well...