mtbr member
    May 2006

Mounting Element 950 shock...R U kidding?!?

I had to remove my shock for service. I removed it myself, being very careful to note how all the parts were aligned. I watched the RM service video many times (seem to skip the process I need help with). I even got my hands on the schematic of the frame.

Getting the shock on takes more hands than God gave me. Once I somehow got it semi-together, with the help of another pair of hands, I got stuck with how to get everything together on the bottom eyelet of the shock. There are multiple pieces, o-rings, spacers, shock pins, etc. and I cannot figure out how to get the spacers in place with the axle inserted and the shock sandwiched in.

I'm afraid RM will expect me to remove the shock pin that fits very tightly through the shock eyelet and DU bushings inside the eyelet. Now I can see why the shock pins were not evenly spaced through the eyelet and DU bushing.

I am going to need an act of God to figure this out. I will need visuals. Again, the service video skips the process I am talking about...maybe RM realized that this is a cluster and decided to leave it out on purpose. Who knows...

Please help...thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Still watching the service video and I am wondering if you have to remove seat stays to make this whole process work? I doubt it, but the seat stays are removed in the service video before the shock is removed.

Bottom line...the service video is lacking in this department.

ups and downs
    Use a pair of small elastic bands to hold the bushing assemblies into the bottom of the link (offset above the bolt hole so they will be captive once assembled, those would be cut off once everything is in place). That keeps everything in place while you line up the shock hardware and seat stays.

Get the shock and seat stays lined up together and then put another big elastic band around the seat stays to hold them together against the shock hardware. Then slide the link into the seat stay clevis and run the greased bolt through Cut all the surplus elastic bands off.

You'd need to remove at least one seat stay as they won't flex far enough apart to remove the shock and hardware.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mounting Element 950 shock...R U kidding?!?-element-29-linkage.gif  

I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Everything you said is Greek to me. The part I did understand is that I will have to remove a seat stay to complete this job...crap!

Elastic bands...not sure what you are talking about, but do I need them if i have other hands helping me and can keep everything in its place while I am working with the seat stay?

Man...this is way more than my retarded skills can handle. And my LBS is not much better when it comes to working on a brand of frame they have never worked on.

ups and downs
    You might be able to scissor the seat stays far enough to pop the shock out and back in again without removing the rear seat stay pivot bolts.

I'd still look at putting elastic bands on, it's a lot easier than trying to get another pair of hands into a compact space and having them do the right thing at the right time.

Oh yeah, this is also much easier if the frame mount end of the shock is not mounted into the frame until everything is assembled.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mounting Element 950 shock...R U kidding?!?-element-29-linkage-bands.gif  

I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    historeeteacher called us directly and we got things sorted out. It is important to follow these steps, which are in the service video even though it may not obvious at first:

Attach the shock to the toplink.
    Place the shock with the spacers in the seatstays.
    Place the seatstays into the link.

The problem that happens is people do steps 2 and 3 backwards and then the shock simply does not fit into the space between the seatstays.

Hope this helps
    Inside Sales
    Rocky Mountain Bicycles
    My current rides
    2012 Vertex 990 RSL
    2013 Element 999 RSL
    2012 Proto Solo CXR Disc

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thank you RM!

RM has been an awesome company to deal with. Before, during, and after the purchase...they are always happy to talk, text, or email when help is needed. I have had a learning curve with a few items on my Element 950 and no other company (Specialized, Santa Cruz, Giant, or Cannondale) has ever been this easy to work with.

President of the Internet

thank you!

Just wanted to stay thank you for this thread. I had to pull apart my element to diagnose a click in the travel and I wouldn't have been able to do it without the info here. The video is ok, but lacks the critical info mentioned here. BTW the click was the damn housing ferrals under the BB. Thanks!
    Sometimes you eat the trail, sometimes the trail eats you.

http://fairoaksandcarmichaelhomes.com