mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Missing Bushings in Rear Swingarm of Altitude 70 RSL?

Somehow the bolt (two pieces) that hold the rear swingarm together came out completely and was temporarily lost. This is the bolt set that is right above the rear derailleur.

So I called Rocky and they sent a new bolt set. However, what they sent not only has the two bolts, but two plastic busings as well. (Part # 180335ASTQi2). I am concerned because although these bushings look like they will fit, they are not present on the side that didn't drop the bolts.

I am supposed to ride tomorrow AM and Rocky is closed so they can't advise me on whether to ride WITH or WITHOUT the bushings. And then if I do need the bushings, can I ride with them only on one side until I can get them from Rocky.

I will post pics in a few if I am not clear.

Can you all look at your swingarms to see if there are bushings between the bolts and frame?

Thank you in advance,
    Heath

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

ups and downs
    What year of Altitude? I have a 2009 and it looks like this as it uses a carbon seat stay link.

There should be 12mm x 18mm long bolt set and IGUS bushings that are 12mm inside diameter and 14mm outside diameter. They just might be dirty so you can't see the IGUS bushings, you'd sure notice the 2mm of slop if the bushings were missing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Missing Bushings in Rear Swingarm of Altitude 70 RSL?-altitude-rsl-rear-triangle.gif  

I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have a 2010 and I just pulled the bolts out and they are snug as a bug without any bushings. Fits perfectly. So maybe the carbon in the '09 needed the bushing, but aluminum '10 doesn't?

Thanks for your response Rocky!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I also had mine back out and lost one. Noticed on pre-ride inspection and went to bike shop who did not have it. Lucky for me Sears Hardware did and I bought a few. Lesson, loctite everything you can.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Really, Sears Hardware had it? That's awesome. Know that Rocky will send you another if you ask, and just use some blue loc-tite when you install it. I put it in on both sides.

Hack Racer
    Don't forget to torque everything to the proper tightness