aka Gumbo
    Apr 2006

Lovin' my RM Vertex 970

As a first time RM owner I check in this forum frequently and just want to provide some balance to the forum. My bike is not creaking, clicking, or cracking - those things all suck and I have had dealt with them before but thankfully my new race bike has been a lot of fun. I certainly empathize with those having such issues with their bikes.

I am a Cat 2/Sport 50+ rider so I am primarily in this (my first race season) for health and fitness and I do enjoy some competition, although it is primarily with myself trying to improve with each outing. It is also my first 29er and I had no transition issues, it felt great from the start and I have rarely been back on my other mint bike, an Iron Horse MKIII (on its 3rd rear triangle). Anyways - I don't see many RMs around here in New England so I like having something unique - however, it would be nice to see more positive stuff on this forum.

Enjoy the trails fellow RM riders!

ups and downs
    for positive things
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Yakfish, welcome. I'm currently on an ETSX 70 (full suspension) and am planning to get a new bike soon. I'm leaning towards the new Element 29ers but am also thinking about the Vertex. Some of where I ride (PA) is similar to New England. How do you like the rigid rear in rocky, technical areas compared to a full couch? Not planning to race.

aka Gumbo
    Apr 2006
    glorth2 - With my full suspension bikes (I also rode a specialized enduro for several years) I went looking for rocky technically challenging trails but now I am a little more concerned about my encounters with rocks. This is mostly since I am not running a bashguard on the Vertex so banging off rocks is tough on the big chainring. Before I had little concern with smashing into rock. The Vertex handles the tech stuff fairly well but I imagine that if I was not racing now and really concentrating on technically challenging terrain I would want to be on full-suspension. Enjoy the new bike when you get it!

ups and downs
    Having spent some time on an alloy Element 29er, that would be the way to go to replace an ETSX. Many of the same positive pedaling qualities as the ETSX and the ability to roll over roots and rocks like a bike with a portable bridge.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. Uphill, I thought you had 2 Element 26ers. Am I wrong?

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by glorth2 View Post
    Thanks guys. Uphill, I thought you had 2 Element 26ers. Am I wrong?
    You are correct, but I had a chance to ride an Element 950 back to back with my MSL on the same trails at Mont Sainte Anne, so I have a reasonable basis for ride feel comparison. If you're going with the big wheels anyway, then I'd go with the 29er Element. And I will be buying a carbon Element 29 when they arrive in Oct/Nov.

ups and downs
    Although this may change my priorities

Rocky Mountain Announces 2013 Altitude 27.5"ers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    You are correct, but I had a chance to ride an Element 950 back to back with my MSL on the same trails at Mont Sainte Anne, so I have a reasonable basis for ride feel comparison. If you're going with the big wheels anyway, then I'd go with the 29er Element. And I will be buying a carbon Element 29 when they arrive in Oct/Nov.
    This would be my first 29er. Leaning this way.