mtbr member

Love the Altitude, not sure about the Avids

I'm replacing my beloved ETSX (frame finally broke) and I'm thinking the Altitude 750 is just the ticket. I've ridden a demo version of the bike and really liked it but I'm wondering about the brakes, Avid Elixer 50 XMs.

I've never had Avid brakes before. I checked their site and they don't mention an Elixer 50 model. Would these be the manufacture's version of the Elixer 5 series? Just checking the brakes forum and there are not too many people saying nice things about Avid brakes (especially the Elixer 5) but there are quite a number saying this latest Shimanos are great.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Elixer 50s? Should I get my LBS to swap out the Avids for Shimano right off the bat?

John
    Last edited by johnny canuck; 12-27-2012 at 01:25 PM.

Workin for the weekend!
    It's a great idea! Hopefully LBS is willing...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    ....I must be the only guy on earth that has never had issues with Avids. ' have their CR-mags on my '10 Epic Marathon and have never had anything but good performance with them. But must say that the Formula's on my Element are every bit as good.
    I would just ride the Avids and see it you like em.

Bill J.

Older & Slower
    After two sets of Avid disc brakes, and never-ending headaches, I will never go back. Save your pennies and go Shimano.

P.S. Also, stay away from Formula (spec'd on my Element 950)

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yes, have them change the brakes before you take the bike out of the shop!!!!! I HATE my avids.
    Check out my riding blog:

http://onetrailatatime.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'm waiting on a Vertex 950 RSL with the same brakes. I had previously been on a Mach 4 with Elixir CRs and am not too worried about the Avids. My CRs did warble from time to time, but they had loads of power.

If you can swap out for some Shimanos at a decent price I say go for it. If you are stuck with the brakes it shouldn't be a deal breaker.

mtbr member
    I just finished reading the whole Turkey Gobble thread over in the brakes forum and I think I'll swap out the Avids before I even pick up the bike. I know lots of people have tried lots of fixes and some of them seem to work but I'm just a guy who loves to ride, I'm not into spending a whole lot of time working on brakes.

My ETSX had Schimano and I never had an issue with them. Replaced the pads once in a while, have the LBS bleed them once a year, and that was it. They just worked.

Now I just have to wait for three months before the bike arrives. Such a drag to be without a bike for such a long time.

John

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    John........three months!!!! Yikes, that would hurt, but the good news is it will be worth it.

Bill J.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by specbill View Post
    John........three months!!!! Yikes, that would hurt, but the good news is it will be worth it.
    And wouldn't you know it, here in Colorado Springs the weather has been perfect for winter riding...cold and sunny and dry.

Oh well...patience, they say.

mtbr member
    Zero issues with my 950's Formula's for shore riding.
    NSMBA Member