mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Looking to get a couple of upgrades for a 2013 Element 950

Hi there

Upgrade suggestions for the '13 Element 950?

I was thinking of going from XT Shadow to XT Shadow Plus (or is the XTR -- a bit of a reach financially -- worth getting?)

I value slick, smooth shifting. I am considering upgrading the SLX shifters to at least XT. Thoughts?

For my riding, I will swap out the Contis and get Racing Ralphs or Ikons.

I will get a dropper post later. And better wheelset when I can afford it in the spring. The other stuff I will wear out and replace as needed (chain and cassette).

Thanks!

ups and downs
    The clutch type derailleurs do keep chain clatter down, but check the Shimano and Drivetrain threads, quite a few people have had reliability issues with the clutch in the XT derailleurs.

The XT and SLX shifters are both about the same quality. It'd think in terms of XTR if you wanted to get a huge uptick in shift lever performance and the multi-gear up and down shifts. That's the winner winner part of XTR upgrade in my books.

If you want a huge improvement in shifting slickness and ease of shifting at the shift lever, put a set of the fully sealed Gore Ride-On (or the SRAM version)cables on the bike. I just built my Instinct 999 MSL up with the Gore cables and the shift lever effort is about half of what it was on my Instinct 970 with conventional shift cables. The added advantage is that you likely won't ever need to change shift cables again (unless you upgrade your shifters later - so you really want to have the shifters you can live with for a while when you install the Gore cables).
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    I wouldn't bother with the rear mech or shifters, bugger all weight not much difference in performance. In the case of the rear mech, you could trash it any day as well. I would just put the money into wheels and tires. If you really want smooth shifting and often ride in poor conditions, then as rockyuphill said, cables.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks! Yeah, I read quite a bit about the XT clutch reliability problems, and I'm not sure it has been solved. Apparently (and I'm not expert) the XTR is put together better, in terms of a couple of little parts susceptible to breaking.

I DO want an uptick in shifting. So perhaps the cable change AND the shifter upgrade is worth it.

I'm not a fussy rider, but now is the time to make the upgrades. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    The clutch type derailleurs do keep chain clatter down, but check the Shimano and Drivetrain threads, quite a few people have had reliability issues with the clutch in the XT derailleurs.

The XT and SLX shifters are both about the same quality. It'd think in terms of XTR if you wanted to get a huge uptick in shift lever performance and the multi-gear up and down shifts. That's the winner winner part of XTR upgrade in my books.

If you want a huge improvement in shifting slickness and ease of shifting at the shift lever, put a set of the fully sealed Gore Ride-On (or the SRAM version)cables on the bike. I just built my Instinct 999 MSL up with the Gore cables and the shift lever effort is about half of what it was on my Instinct 970 with conventional shift cables. The added advantage is that you likely won't ever need to change shift cables again (unless you upgrade your shifters later - so you really want to have the shifters you can live with for a while when you install the Gore cables).

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks!

Tires I have. I bought good ones on sale last year. And alas wheels will have to wait. I have a couple of hundred bucks.

I don't care much about weight, but good slick smooth shifting is important to me. Will keep thinking about it. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by craign View Post
    I wouldn't bother with the rear mech or shifters, bugger all weight not much difference in performance. In the case of the rear mech, you could trash it any day as well. I would just put the money into wheels and tires. If you really want smooth shifting and often ride in poor conditions, then as rockyuphill said, cables.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'm going to go with XT rear Shadow clutch, and XT shifters!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Speaking of upgrades, this -- which may have been brought up before in other threads -- was very interesting: where to spend your Shimano upgrade money.

Ask a Mechanic: Shimano XTR ? Where To Spend Your Money | Art?s Cyclery Blog

ups and downs
    The XTR shifter for the rear is definitely worth the money for the multi-gear shifts. I'd agree that almost any front shifter works just fine. XTR wins the weight weenie contest in shifters hands down.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada