Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Instinct BC Edition

23K views 78 replies 27 participants last post by  dbhender 
#1 ·
Has anyone ridden one? Thoughts on it? I can't seem to find all I want in one Instinct... I don't like the 32 stanchions on all the other models but I wish this was all carbon. Fussy I know. Just wanted to get some ride impressions from people. This would be the one bike do it all for me. As well as sizing, I am 6'2'' I am assuming that puts me pretty clearly in the XL. Any information would be great.

#2 ·
I considered a BC edition, but went with the 970 MSL because the rear end was carbon, it came with shimano, and it's about 2 lbs lighter. I switched the cranks to the new Raceface Next and am running a single ring front with no front derailleur and a 42 tooth Oneup cog in the back. The only other change I've made was swapping the 70mm stem for a 45mm one. I'm just over 6 feet tall, and am riding an XL frame which fits me perfectly. I haven't played with the Ride9 settings yet, as the bike rides so well in the factory default setting (neutral?).
I also have a Knolly Delirium which I haven't ridden since buying my new Instinct, which is a very capable all-mountain bike. I may pull it out for days when I'm riding really steep stuff. I'll probably ride the Knolly less than 5% of the time this summer. The instinct descends so well, I don't think I'd need the extra travel of my Knolly until things get really steep. But if I didn't already own my Knolly, I certainly wouldn't think I needed a bigger bike than my Instinct.
The Instinct is definitely the fastest bike I've owned, both uphill and downhill, and if you were going to have one bike only, this would be a great choice. Lots of fun. It's even fun in the air! I doubt I would be able to tell the difference between 32mm and 34mm stanchions, or the addditional 10mm of travel with the BC edition. I'd rather save 2 lbs of weight and have a full shimano drivetrain and brakes, and the stiffness of a carbon rear end. If you're heavy enough to flex the 32mm stanchions, surely you'd enjoy the benefit of the stiffer carbon rear end of the 970? To me it makes no sense to have an aluminum rear end on the BC edition. Nice colors though.

#3 · (Edited)
The Fox Float 34mm forks have a higher A2C height than the 32mm. The A2C on the 140mm x 34mm Float is 22mm higher than the 130mm x 32mm so you get a bit of extra BB height. If you run the BC Edition at the slackest Ride9 setting it's about 9mm higher than the slackest setting on the standard Instinct with the 32mm forks, so you can get a slacker head angle and higher BB at the same time. Even if you reduced the Float 34mm fork travel to 130mm, you'd have a 12mm taller A2C, so about 5mm higher BB.

The other option to consider is buying the Instinct 999 MSL all carbon frame only and build it up as a BC Edition, it'll cost a bit more but then you could spec it exactly as you want.

Here's my 970 that I BC Edition-ified with the 140mm x 34mm Fox fork. With these larger tires it added about 1.5 pounds to the bike and raised the BB.

Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle frame

Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

#4 ·
Well after some back and forth I decided on the 970 MSL, I like the specs and it will be easier to upgrade the fork to a 34 than it would be to deal with the aluminum rear triangle on the BC Edition. Who knows the 32 may not be as flexy as I fear. Should be here within a week. Can't wait.

#9 ·
I have been holding out on a new ride for about 3 years now and finally and getting something new this season. Pretty much figured I would go 27.5 because well, they are all the rage right..... I demod the instinct BC edition and absolutely loved it. Rode the altitude too and yeah really nice, but the instinct really got under my skin so I am going 29er.

I currently ride an older rocky, not that I'm married to the brand but kind of like the whole NW vibe, culture with the brand but honestly, the more I research the RM build options are just not on par with others. I'm really looking at the Tallboy LTc too. At 6K for the tallboy, you get 1x11 (do want), 34 fork, full carbon, threaded bb, solid bushings and rave reviews.

The BC edition is built how I want except the 2x setup and alum rear end. I like the ride 9 system, but honestly question how much I would mess with that. Seems like other manufacturers update the build kit/options throughout the year, RM's are a bit dated right now....when do 2015's typically come out?

Are squeaky bushings a given or just internet BS from a few bad examples? I ride all year, rain or shine and want something that lasts and is not a constant maintenance nightmare.

I don't know, probably should just call some dealers and start asking....With 6-7K burning a whole in my pocket somebody out to help build the one I want right :)

#10 ·
So two months in I have my instinct 970msl setup as I like. Swapped the 32mm fork for a 2015 34 mm Fox Float. Swapped the arch ex for flow ex... Added a bit of weight but have basically created a full carbon bc edition. The bike is fantastic. Climbs much better than I can right now and is great on the technical North Shore downhills. I've owned a Tallboy Carbon and an Altitude 770 and the Instinct has been the most fun yet.

#11 ·
Nice! I have to say, I popped on the instinct BC edition shortly after writing the above post. First shop I called had one on the floor and made me a great deal. It was an awesome buying experience, first ride, and journey with it since! I have it set up tubeless on some shwalbe's, favorite old seat, and the green grips really brought the thing together :)

#13 · (Edited)
In early May I tried to buy a 2014 Instinct frame, to build into a BC spec build using a 140 fork. Sold out, gutted.

Eurobike rolls around, and this years BC Edition (990 MSL) has a carbon rear end, and a build kit that apart from the drivetrain is pretty close to what I would build.

Spoke the local shop (a sponsor), and one was ordered for me. Arrive two weeks ago, but I had to wait on some other stuff. I have swapped...

• SRAM XO1 drivetrain to Shimano XT with a Zee rear mech (XTR M9000 come March).
  • Maxxis Minion to Schwalbe Magic Mary on the front, WTB Vigilante rear.
  • Turbine Cranks to Next SL cranks (instant 250g saving)

Ridden it three times, raced it once. Very impressed with it. Much more aggressive than the bike I previously and for this purpose, while being lower weight. I need to get some scales and weigh it, but it's 26-27lbs.

I'll put a picture up from the race when I have the non-watermarked copy.

#15 ·
That looks solid Dougal - I'm a bit impressed the latest 999BC doesn't come specced with the NextSL's out of the box.

Lint - it may be possible, but probably not really worth the value for them to sell and market them (the BC Edition of old was such a great value because that Al rear triangle is so much cheaper). Most of the flex on my 950 all-6061Al is on the frame, because of the Horst-link type rear the stiffness there isn't as much rigidity to be gained by going with a ton of 3k weaved carbon, but there is a fair bit of weight to be saved (which is why the 970/990 do come that way).

I just can't get over how much I love my basic Instinct 950, and that every single complaint I have about a bike I got for so cheap is actually directly addressed by stuff farther up in the line (34mm fork on the BC Edition, or the 35mm pike on a 970/990 build), the carbon frame and lighter wheels are just the last details where it just costs money to go fast.

#23 ·
The crown-axle up-delta would be pretty big on a fork that tall, even if the Ride9 chip is set and left in the bottom slammed/slacked out setting (6). If a 140 is an option, I'd argue that the 140 Pike is 'the' answer for that setup, even if fitting the full 6.2" travel unit is an option.

I'm still trying to picture what terrain Grunion is able to run the X-King on the front at (although 2.4 probably makes it stick pretty well unless there's fresh/active precipitation). I guess out where I live it'd work, just not everywhere.

Gorgeous bike Grunny, if I had slightly more budget, yours is the exact setup I'd want to run (carbon front triangle, 140 Pike), but I'd still run a big heavy 150mm dropper.

#24 ·
The Xking is the best front tire i have used. Most of the time I ride dry loose desert, but it has worked well up in the forest also. The 2.4 is the only way to go tho it is like a 2.2 in any other brand.

I have never needed a droper on my xc bikes. I have one on my enduro bike and I barley use it. Thanks for the compliment on the bike. I bought it complete and stripped it sold the parts and built it he way I wanted it.

#25 ·
I appreciate that feedback - it's odd for me to think of a 5" travel setup as an XC bike, but if that's how you run it then that all makes sense. I ride primarily the same (if not exact same) conditions, so that's why I was intrigued by where the fatter X-King worked.

#26 ·
Any feedback on paint durability on these flat painted rockys? I just got a 15 990 bc edition. Bike is new and I saw a minor chip on a cable stop (I have OCD). I had a gloss element before this and the paint was decent. Wondering about the flat paint. I also noticed as I removed the ride 9 they don't paint on the inside of the shock mount.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.