Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Instinct BC Edition

23K views 78 replies 27 participants last post by  dbhender 
#1 ·
Has anyone ridden one? Thoughts on it? I can't seem to find all I want in one Instinct... I don't like the 32 stanchions on all the other models but I wish this was all carbon. Fussy I know. Just wanted to get some ride impressions from people. This would be the one bike do it all for me. As well as sizing, I am 6'2'' I am assuming that puts me pretty clearly in the XL. Any information would be great.

#32 ·
Personally I'm a 29 guy so I say go instinct. I have noticed the top shock mount on the thunderbolt looks more refined. I wonder if that is just for that frame or an eventual change going to all frames.

Oh and I went from 20 years on a 26 to a 29 and love it.

#34 ·
Question about driveline. I have a 15 bc edition. When I got it I noticed when I was in the 42 cog and tried to pedal backwards the chain would fall off. I never could get the chain to stay on. Not that I was trying to pedal backwards.

Since getting the bike I just switched out the sram xo1 derailuer for an xtr one. I noticed the same problem still exists.

I was told the race face cranks have a 51mm chain line instead of SRAMs 49 and this difference causes the issue.

I can't see how this would cause it or why people would spec it if that's the case.

For more I also changed my rear hanger to the shimano direct mount so everything should be straight.

Thanks

#38 ·
Interesting. I have the same weird problem on my 2014 Instinct 2 x 10. When in the 3rd biggest cog on the cassette and you pedal backwards the chain falls down to the next cog. Never experienced anything like that.

For some odd reason, this bike has been the fussiest to get shifting smoothly consistently.

#37 ·
When you changed the XTR derailleur, did you leave the SRAM chain on it? I've found that Shimano chains and SRAM cassettes do not play well with each other, as Shimano has the specially shaped inner and outer plates that mesh with the Shimano cassette teeth. The derailleur's jockey pulleys also handle the chain a bit differently.

#43 ·
FWIW, no problems with the drivetrain on a '15 BC Edition. That being said, darn thing was finicky to set up. It took some time to get the rear derailleur (mech) working really, really well. Fine-tuned the b-limit (b-adjust) screw for the "proper" distance b/w the largest cassette cog and the upper pulley. Ideally, one reads (hears) that the shock should be at sag for the r.der setup w/ a full suspension bike. No matter. Faked it. The sweet spot was about 13mm (as one web site suggested). The drivetrain works flawlessly! Up and down the cassette, the shifting is snappy.

Until the right gap b/w the largest cog and the top pulley was "found" the 1x11 was kind of annoying. The "precision" required was new to me.

Now, about that flat paint?

#45 ·
Just curious if you built your bike yourself or a store did it?

I put mine together out of the box so I'm sure I am a bit to blame. I should note that right out of the gate I switched the cranks to Next SLs and now run an XTR shifter and rear derailleur. Shifts flawlessly up and down, just in the higher gears if I pedal backwards I drop the chain to lower gears. I would assume I need to fine tune the b screw. I probably needed to do that when I was running the sram set up.

#51 ·
The review got one thing wrong (or maybe they had an early pre-production bike) as the standard front cog is a 30T not a 32T. A 1.3125:1 or 42:32 would be a steep ratio on a 29" bike. A 42:30 is 1.4:1 which takes some muscle but nothing like a 32T front ring would require.

A 28T chainring would give a 1.5:1 low gear which would be more livable for my legs/lungs.

#52 ·
I caught the demo truck over the weekend. This bike pedals well and the suspension is great all around.

It was my first time riding 1x and I was impressed with that too. I'll definitely have 1x on my next bike.

This is a really nice bike and looks awesome but just too short in the top tube for me. This is an XL.

#61 ·
According to the geometry info on the Specialized website, XL Stumpy EVO 29r has a 648mm top tube which is 25.5 inches. The Instinct XXL top tube measures 650mm so about the same dimension as the XL Specialized.

I think the XL Instinct would be too short in the top tube for you, if you are comfortable on your current bike...especially if you want to use a short(er) stem.

#63 ·
It'll fit as well as anything but a custom frame - you'll probably be running the stock stem or a 60mm one for it to feel right, but that's about the sum total of drawbacks.

I'm 6'2" and I actually fit on my Large instinct - the seat is a bit rearward, but the STA is steep enough I'm still in a really good pedaling position. Wide bars and the good amount of stack make the seemingly shorter sounding top tube actually a lot more accommodating for bigger riders - but if you can test ride it absolutely do so.

Climbing ability in a lot of the reviews has a lot more to do with running a DHR set of tires front and rear, and the big chainring coupled with chunky rear tire that doesn't roll that great is probably why people think they aren't good climbers - put a 30T and a faster rolling rear (Spesh Slaughter, Minion SS, RockRazor, Ardent, etc.) and it's a fantastic all-arounder.

#66 ·
Well, the 2016 Version just showed up on the site - It's now an XT 1x11 drivetrain and XT brakes, all SRAM/RS Suspension, and a really cool tennis ball yellow blue highlights color scheme.

I really wish they tried to keep the BC-970 (or even BC-950 All-Aluminum) version of that bike.

An Instinct with a 140mm Yari, GX 1x11 Drivetrain, Deore or GuideR Brakes, and RF Aeffect wheels and finishing kit would be a seriously killer bike... and could be a $3600-4000 MSRP bike depending on dropper post selection and maybe a nudge down to a cheaper shock... but I'd be all over that bike. It might still be in the cards, just depends how practically available OEM GX/Yari/Monarch kits really are.

#67 ·
I really wish they tried to keep the BC-970 (or even BC-950 All-Aluminum) version of that bike.
I saw there was only a full carbon version for '16 and while it is sweet, it isn't in the card $$$ wise so that's why I snapped up the 2015 970 BC ed. just a few weeks back. It was 20% off and a really nice price point. With the CND crapping out the $3000 price tag made it a no brainer. Yeah it's a bit heavier but it has 1x11 sram and SLX brakes and the Xfusion is seriously good performer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.