mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Instinct or Altitude? tough call

Think I've narrowed down my bike search to these two. I guess Rocky Mountain wins either way.

Gotta go low end since I'm poor. Right now I'm looking at the Altitude 730 and the Instinct 950. The fork and shock are different, Revalation and Monarch vs. Fox Float. Not sure I'll be able to tell the difference, maybe some of you can. Does one shine far above the other?

Really wish the Altitude 730 had a clutch rear derailleur. I think that would be my first upgrade. Would upgrade the Avid brakes after they wear out. If i could find a good deal on the 750, I would be tempted by it.

Anyone think we will be able to find deals on these now? Or do you think the prices will be firm since they are brand new models?

Guess my big choice is whether or not to give 650b a shot or stick with 29ers. Can't ride demo either, so this is gonna be a hard decision.

ups and downs
    Resale pricing will likely be pretty firm as I'd bet they will be in short supply one they start shipping. The first shipments will likely be heavily presold by the shops.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I think you're probably right. What about sites like Jenson? Do they offer lower prices to try and woo me from buying from a LBS?

ups and downs
    Usually only once they are on clearance.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    gotcha. In that case I'll give the LBS my money. That is if they can get Rocky Mountain. They don't usually carry them, but a guy I talked to said they should be able to get one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    still having a tough time deciding. Leaning towrd the Instinct. Just don't want to buy it and then find out 650b is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Wonder if its mostly just hype.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Go with what matches the type of riding you do most. If you are riding stuff that you'd probably be able to handle with bike skills and a hard tail, go with the Instinct and 29er wheels. If you're doing stuff a longer travel 26 would be the quiver of choice, go with the Altitude. I have a Element 970 and if I ride with buddy who has a Santa Cruz Tallboy LT. It makes me wonder about the Altitude, but the reality is that I could probably ride a Vertex and have as much or more fun. But I'm getting older...

In the end, both bikes will be awesome, so it comes down to the engine.