mtbr member
    Oct 2012

How to adjust Ride 9

Hi all,

I will getting my 2014 Altitude 750 MSL next week. I have been looking online for a How To article or video for adjusting the ride 9 system. I have been on The RM ride 9 website which tells you which positions are for certain HTA and STA but I haven't found anything that tells you how to physically adjust it. Any resources out there anyone knows about?

Thanks,
    Greg

ups and downs
    You'll see it's pretty easy once it's in front of you, you just remove the shock mount bolt and remove the Ride9 inserts and then rearrange the pieces in the configuration you want them. Put a bit of grease on all the metal to metal surfaces and reassemble. They are quite a close tolerance fit, so the grease will make it easier to assemble them and keep them from creaking when assembled.

How to adjust Ride 9-ride9.jpg
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    You'll see it's pretty easy once it's in front of you, you just remove the shock mount bolt and remove the Ride9 inserts and then rearrange the pieces in the configuration you want them. Put a bit of grease on all the metal to metal surfaces and reassemble. They are quite a close tolerance fit, so the grease will make it easier to assemble them and keep them from creaking when assembled.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ride9.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	834929
    That pretty well nails it. I've been riding an altitude 730 all summer so I would like to add a few tips.
    When you start, start at 1 of the 4 points and ride it, when you change it make sure you have another hand and do it in a clean area. You may find that playing with the air pressure while changing the system around.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for the replies. When you say "start at one of the 4 points" do you mean starting in one of the 4 corners? Also what is the benefit of playing with the air pressures while changing the system around? These tips are great so if you have any others, I am all ears. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Yes to four corners. With the system closest to the top tube I had to run unbelievable high pressure. I'm 235 geared so I have mine presently between the lower and front points with air about 220psi. I use the bike for a cross between AM and straight DH. Works great. You will find a sweet spot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    That's great to know. Now do you let a lot if the air out of the shock prior to adjusting the ride 9 for ease of adjustment?

ups and downs
    No you don't need to touch the shock pressure to change the Ride9 widgets, the suspension is uncompressed when you work on it. After you make the changes to the geometry, then you'd set the sag again as you would from the start with 25% sag as a typical starting point. You may find that you want to adjust rebound damping a bit.

It also helps to have a goal in mind before you start tweaking. Ride the bike as it is and then using the Ride9 mini-website, determine which quality of character you want to change. If you pay special attention to the rider weight slider that will be a good predictor of what the range of ride quality might be. The middle of the range is around 175 pounds, so if you're heavier or lighter than that, the settings that maintain the geo but change the leverage ratio to tweak the weight range of the shock settings will make a huge difference.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

wheelie king
    @beachbum1 - How are you getting your 2014 Altitude 750 MSL next week? Mines not coming until the second week of November!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Cool. I weight about 165 so with my gear I guess I will start with the middle if the road weight on the ride 9 setup. Anyone else want to chime in on what they weigh and what weight setting( light, medium, heavy) they run? As far as getting the bike, I guess I just got lucky. I'll put up some pics when it gets here next week.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have the 770 (2013 model) in a small. I weigh about 135 and am 5'6". When I demoed it, the Ride 9 was the most slack (don't remember the setting) and I had a hard time getting forward enough to climb the stuff I could climb with the 5-spot.

Then I had the Ride 9 (using the online cool adjusting tool) setting changed to #3, which is mid-weight (may be too heavy for me, actually) and good climbing. I like it a lot, but am glad to see exactly how to readjust the system. So many other adjustments to be made, seems easier to get it slacker for downhill than tighter for climbing.

tardcore
    I'm 175 pounds and running in setting 5 which is biased towards descending and for a slightly lighter rider. I did try setting one which feels good as well but not quite as good on the downs. I am running a 160 fork so ymmv.

mtbr member
    135 pounds. Started in setting 1. Trying setting 3 at the moment, seems to climb better, but not that much difference in the twisty stuff, preferred setting 1. Thinking of trying out 5 tomorrow as going somewhere with more serious descending.

mtbr member
    Think I like the more progressive suspension action of 5, but not sure about the angles. Think I might prefer neutral still.