Thread: Help Please!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Help Please!!!

I got my altitude Thursday and I'm still figuring out the bugs. Well, I'm having derailleur issues, got the back figured out but the front's really giving me issues. This things marked Shimano SLX dyna sys. Started with the barrel adjust, adjust it one way it shifts to the little ring adjust it back, and, one turn the other way it shifts to the big ring. Can't find the happy medium. Now I've had the cable off and on a couple times adjusted hi/low no improvement. Can one of you Shimano guys point me in the right direction before I take this thing off and beat the out of it with an 8# sledge
    Last edited by bigbbs; 04-30-2013 at 03:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    The number on the chain guide is FD-M675-E2 go figure.

ups and downs
    Is the front shifter an SLX 670 that is usable for 2 or 3 speed? Is it in the 2 or 3 speed setting? You can only switch it when it's in the middle ring position.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    The number on the shifter is SL-M670 it's in the 2 speed setting.

ups and downs
    So the problem is that you can only set it up to have the front shift up or shift down, but can't get it to shift up and down equally well? Is that only on the service stand or on the ground while riding? What gear are you in at the rear when trying the shift tweaks on the front?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    So the problem is that you can only set it up to have the front shift up or shift down, but can't get it to shift up and down equally well? Is that only on the service stand or on the ground while riding? What gear are you in at the rear when trying the shift tweaks on the front?
    Correct. Happens with the bike suspended and with the bike being ridden. I received an email from rocky which basically said to put the switch in 3X and adjust the high low screws. Sounds counter intuitive for two front rings but I'll see what happens.

ups and downs
    I've seen that issue as well, Some combo of FD/shifter and 2x10 cranks seem to work better using the 1st and 2nd gear position on the shifter in 3 speed mode, and on other combos the 2 speed setting worked better.

On my hardtail with RF 2 ring cranks, I couldn't make the 3 speed shifter setting work at all with the 2x10 XTR shifter and FD, but switching to the 2 speed setting on the shifter worked great. On a friend's bike exactly the opposite problem/solution.

I still find that 2x10 is really only 2x8, you can't reliably get to the whole cassette from either front ring without some chain rubbing or front shifting problems. From either front ring it's only really optimum for 8 out of 10 rear cogs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Well I feel real intelligent Must've hit that little switch when I was haulin down the hill. As the parts wear out I'll eventually be going back to a 1X9 with a canfield micro drive. Thanks for listening to the rant. The bike is awesome. Forgot to weigh it with flats and a dropper when I picked it up from the shop . Will post it when I remember.