mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Help!! Need a 2006 Slayer rear Triangle!!

thanks for looking! I have destroyed the rear triangle on my 2006 Slayer!! it snapped all four arms of the main pivots. I have contacted RM but without access to my receipt they won't give me crash replacement pricing and its a bit hard to swallow the price of a new one MSRP...

Does anyone happen to have an old (or new) rear swingarm in the closet? :-)

thanks in advance if anyone has some help for me!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Wow, how do you end up crashing this thing!!!
    Hope you'll find one.

mtbr member
    honestly I think it may have been something deep in the metal. It happened over time, not from one single crash. I do jump off things, but that's why one buys a full suspension bike, no?! There was no defined dent at any of the lowest parts that would have been the start of a crack. I can make out a slight oxidation that I think may have been the original crack, and then it just went from there with fatigue.

mtbr member
    My condolences....

mtbr member
    Thank you Dr. ;-)

So, no one has any love for me tho? there's gotta be one out there with a bashed in front frame, no? ;-) (not that I'm wishing ill on anyone)

ups and downs
    It's unlikely that you'll find many dead frames, the front triangle was pretty solid, although there were a few people who made the error of not enough seatpost insertion on these frames and snapped off seat tubes above the top tube junction, but I expect most of those people sorted that out in 2006/07. There's a few complete 2006 Slayers on Pinkbike in the $950-$1200 range.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Thanks RockyU, I have been discussing it with the factory thru my LBS and I'm beginning to come to terms with the idea (and RM is being friendly about it all).

Will pull the trigger once I am certain I have no other recourse.

mtbr member
    Can you update us on how it went?

Apparently this is an issue with the '06 Slayer frames that happened a few times. I think they came out with a beefed up version of the rear triangle some time after the frame's initial release.

Help!! Need a 2006 Slayer rear Triangle!!-ji68tny.jpg

On the left is what supposedly is the beefed up version, on the right the original, skinnier, version with some degradation that happened after it was removed from the bike. Forked this from a German forum.

mtbr member
    will update when I get somewhere with it, just placed the order and am in no hurry, so it could be awhile....

mtbr member
    Do you know what it'll cost you?

Did you notice anything beforehand? Like creaking or banging noises?

mtbr member
    they quoted me 333 USD painted to match. I talked them into raw for 300. I did notice that the rear pivots were occasionally making contact with each other, I thought it was just because of dirt and stones bridging the clearance. but I didn't see the cracks starting... the bike always creaked tho, no matter what I did.

I have to say I've never been good at inspecting my frame every ride. ;-)

mtbr member
    Hm, there was some commotion in that German forum some time ago about the rear pivots touching (Lower- and Upper-Link), there even was an official statement from the Importer: http://www.bikeaction.de/media/pdf/t...tter_07_08.pdf It#s in German, and running it through Google translate won't do much unfortunately. They ended up blaming it on incorrect setup of the rear shock (too little end-progression?) and stated that the links would not be damaged.

What I don't fully understand...why does the crack develop on top of the linkage, why not on the underside? Hm, guess i need to give this more thought.

Edit: Oh, and the bike apparently creaks when the thru-bolts run dry. Greasing them can/should help.