Grip it and rip it.

Smile Help me make my Element 950 more of a race weapon.

I want to change some parts up on my new element to shed some pounds off it. Not sure where I should start, what parts would be more worthwhile changing than others, etc.

Thinking about a new wheel-set and also going tubeless. Going tubeless is pretty much a no brainer, think I'll leave that until the races come around though.

Any other areas of the bike that would be easy to lose some weight on?

Cheers for any help.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Ok I"ll play. My quick cut at it: Wheels, Fork, Cassette, Brakes, Crank, Handlebar, Grips ...

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1338776040

Not cheap though

-Shane
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help me make my Element 950 more of a race weapon.-element-950.png  

Grip it and rip it.
    Haha, don't think I'll be making THAT many mods .

Was thinking more along the lines of wheels, cassette and chain, maybe cranks. Also thinking of switching out to a lighter stem/seatpost/handlebar set-up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yeah I know. Had the numbers handy. More to show you bang for your buck (picked top of the line parts to show an example best case).

Would throw it on a spreadsheet though and work through scenarios as you start playing with it and stop when your happy with the weight vs cost.

Me I'd swap wheels to a set of Stans wheels as light as you can live with, go tubeless and change the cassette, handlebar, post and grips.

Have a good one.

-Shane

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Grips are cheap and easy. Tubeless is cheap and easy (but not without hassles if you like swapping tires). Handlebar and cassette not quite as cheap but also pretty easy
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Grip it and rip it.
    Is there much weight in the stock handlebar??

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    They are about 256g (think I quoted the riser in the spreadsheet). You"ll save ~ 75-100g going to either a Enve Sweep (175g), EC70 Flat (165g) or Niner RDO Carbon Flat (made by Syntace) (156g).

Older & Slower
    Seleniak...I love that spread sheet! Picking up my new 950 today.

I bought a size 18.5...what would a stock 950 weigh with Shimano XTR pedals (race/lightest version)?

Do you have any idea of what my 950 will weigh when I replace some stock parts with the following:

1. Easton EC70 wide/flat handlebar
    2. Thomson Elite seatpost
    3. Specialized Alias Gel 143 saddle
    4. ESI Chunky grips
    5. Ditch the tubes and go with Stan's yellow tape and sealant...BUT mount WTB TCS Bronson 2.2 (front) and Moto 1.9 (rear)
    6. Thomson X4 or 4X stem - 90mm (or is the Easton EA90 lighter?)
    7. Thomson seatpost collar
    8. Cassette...same model as stock but 11-36 instead

What would my 950 weigh with all the changes above, BUT I substituted the WTB TCS tires with Schwalbe Racing Ralph Evolution TL 2.25 (front and rear)?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks. Answers in line

Quote Originally Posted by historeeteacher View Post
    Seleniak...I love that spread sheet! Picking up my new 950 today.

I bought a size 18.5...what would a stock 950 weigh with Shimano XTR pedals (race/lightest version)?

STE - The XTR Race pedals are ~ 310g so should be ~ 28.26 lbs or 12.82kg with tubes (stock)

Do you have any idea of what my 950 will weigh when I replace some stock parts with the following:

1. Easton EC70 wide/flat handlebar - ~ 160g
    2. Thomson Elite seatpost ~ 270g. Heavier than stock (though it's a great post/cradle). Masterpiece version is a lot lighter
    3. Specialized Alias Gel 143 saddle ~255g
    4. ESI Chunky grips - 58.5g
    5. Ditch the tubes and go with Stan's yellow tape and sealant...BUT mount WTB TCS Bronson 2.2 (front) and Moto 1.9 (rear) - 740g and 666 g respectively
    6. Thomson X4 or 4X stem - 90mm (or is the Easton EA90 lighter?) - Easton EA90 is alot lighter than the X4 but Thomson is nice stuff. X4 90mm ~ 166g, Easton EA90 90mm ~127g
    7. Thomson seatpost collar - Don't know. Supposed to be 27g. Would assume somewhere between 27g and 30g. Used 29g to be safe
    8. Cassette...same model as stock but 11-36 instead - supposed to be 5g lighter. Would get a XG-1080 (XO Cassette) instead

STE - Should be ~ 28.14lbs or 12.76kg

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1339022972

What would my 950 weigh with all the changes above, BUT I substituted the WTB TCS tires with Schwalbe Racing Ralph Evolution TL 2.25 (front and rear)?
    - ~ 550g each for the new 2012 RaRa (alot lighter). I like RaRa personally

STE - Should be ~ 27.47lbs or 12.46kg

BTW - Meltingfeather keeps an updated tire weight spreadsheet for 29ers

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...nc&hl=en#gid=0

Cheers,
    Shane
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Older & Slower
    Thanks again for your replies. Picked it up last night...made most of the changes I was thinking about (except stem). Weighed it...27.7 lbs. without the ESI grips on yet. Fine with me...within a 1/4 lb. of my Giant Anthem X 26er. Doing the rough math, I can shave at least 300 grams by going with something like the Racing Ralph. I will also get a new wheelset in a couple years...that will knock off about a 1/2 lb. I am not in a big hurry to do much more due to budget constraints...just glad to have a new 950.

NOW...I have some bad news (for me). Riding the 950 this morning...crazy popping noise! For a while I think it's the main pivot axle, because I heard that was dry on a few 950s. Then I wonder if it's coming from the SRAM X9 cranks...mostly does it when I would jump out of the saddle and lay down some power. Only did it a few times when I was seated with a more fluid cadence...would make noise when I hit the gas as hard as I could when I was seated though...and occassionally when the bike would dip down a little whoop (rollercoaster). It didn't make as much noise when I locked out the fork (BTW...the positive air chamber didn't seem to hold air after the first time I pumped it up this morning...from 150 psi down to 100-ish...pumped it again and it is holding now). It also didn't make as much noise on paved roads on the way back home. ANY IDEAS? I bought the bike from a shop that is almost 2 hours away...bummer!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    @historee teacher..... count to 10... I guarantee it is nothing serious. Talk to RMB-PM and everything will be okay.