novice

Help.. Another Sizing Question 2012 Slayer

Hey everyone! So theres a good deal on RM slayers right now and im going to get the slayer 50, however im on the fence on size. I am 5'10" and a half, 33 inseam, and have a bit longer arms than average. Im really struggling on which to get 18 or 19. I do mostly all mountain riding. I only ride uphill so i can go down. I currenty have a medium Jamis Parker right now and i couldnt handle it if it was any smaller. I would go to my LBS but no i have not found any RM bikes around. If anyone has a 2012 slayer or an idea on sizes please chime in! Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    I have the same measurements and am riding an 18" Slayer 50. Fits perfect.

Wish I had waited another month. Jenson is blowing out Slayers right now.

Enjoy!

novice
    Great! Ya I have to jump on that deal thanks for the input. How do you like yours?

mtbr member
    I bought it a month ago to compliment my Pivot Mach 429. Both awesome bikes but haven't been on the 429 since getting my Slayer. Fun bike that can take anything you can throw at it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm 5'10" with a 31" inseam. I just bought the 19" slayer. It has the same Top tube length as my 18.5" Altitude 29er, but the slayer has a slightly shorter stem.

novice
    hmm. so the 19" isnt too big for you/ stretched out? what kind of riding do you do. i just want some flickability with the bike but still efficient enough to pedal some uphill. I ride only ride up so i can go down.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I haven't actually sat on the 19" yet, it's still in the mail. I like to go up and down and ride pretty technical trails around Vegas. I have a medium altitude 29er that has pretty similar geo numbers, and since I like how the I've never liked feeling cramped on my bikes and with the same top tube length as my current bike I thought it'd be good. I should be able to let you know in a couple days.

novice
    I still dont know which to choose! lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I've got the 2012 70 in 19" and it feels about right being 6'1" with a 33" inseam. I live in Park City, so we mostly do a lot of long, sustained climbs before our descents. Like you, I wanted a bike whose fortes would be 1st descending, then 2nd ascending. Of course this bike descends beautifully, but I've been really blown away at how freaking well it climbs. For being just over 30 lbs with my build, it climbs much lighter (I'd almost say effortlessly, but c'mon now.) I even think I might put a shorter stem on since it feels plenty roomy to me and I'm not experiencing some of the wheel lift that I've read about from some reviewers. With that said, I do like a slightly small bike.

I'd go for the 18" if I were you, but aside from a demo, nothing beats running to your dealer first and sitting on one. Good luck!

novice
    I wish i could demo/sit on one but RM is nowhere to be found here. Based on what I hear im leaning toward the 18, i guess i could always get a longer stem. I do like a smaller bike as long as its still good ascending.

mtbr member
    I asked around as there are a few RM dealers in my area and all agreed 18".

mtbr member
    I'm 5'11" and rode both the 18 and 19 Slayer at a demo day here in WA a few months back. The 18 definitely felt better to me, and I'm coming from a 19" Enduro Elite. I think if you're mainly into xc and climbing the 19 would probably be the right choice, but for any sort of jumping or fast descents, the 18 just felt more nimble and controlled in the air to me.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

novice
    I appreciate everyones feedback! I think I will pull the trigger on the 18. I definitely prefer a more nimble feel. I don't really do jumps but I do like to throw my bike around.

mtbr member
    I jumped on the same JensonUSA deal... I purchased the Slayer 50 19". I'm 6'0" with a 32" inseam. Unfortunately, I have not tested one out - but since the next size up was not available and I typically fit on most brands' 19" versions, I'm hoping it works out. Also, I asked someone from Jenson what they thought - and given my dimensions, they said the 19" would fit "perfect". Maybe that was just a sales pitch...maybe not. Anyhow, it is scheduled for delivery tomorrow evening - so I'm hoping on Friday I'll know for sure if the 19" is good for a 6' and 32" inseam slow poke rider.

novice
    Let me know how it fits you

mtbr member
    This thread has definitely my interest. I'm slowly bike shopping for my brother to replace his Kona Stinky size XL (converted more to an all-mountain build) and he's 5'10, a junior in high school. The Kona has a 23.2" ETT, 66.5 HA, 72.5 SA.

Looking at 18" ETT, the Slayer is 22.6", the 19" ETT is 23.4", and both with super steep SA of 75.

His main complaint right now is the Stinky feels short and cramp, the saddle is pretty far back on the rails too, 50mm stem (and that's what he will be using). We tried a longer stem but felt awkward.

Speaking from experience, my Kona Honzo also has slack HA, steep SA, and doesn't feel as big as the ETT and reach numbers suggest. I'm going to say it's due to both those factors.

I'm thinking of possibly getting the 19" for him, the price is great for the Slayer 50.

Although the Kona looks to be more roomy, go figure.

19" Slayer 50

Last edited by eurospek; 08-22-2012 at 04:59 PM.

novice
    so i still havent bought mine, im curious on how a couple people that are getting theirs soon say how the 19 fits

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    My 19" Slayer 50 is on the UPS truck to be delievered by the end of the day! Hopefully I'll be out riding it tomorrow morning and can give you guys a better idea.

novice
    ya i talked to jenson they recommended the 19" for me... so im 50/50.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    19" arrived and was all built up Friday night. I was only able to ride around the street Saturday, but finally got it to the trails this morning. As far a sizing goes I felt right at home on the 19. I'm 5'10" with a 31" inseam and little bit longer torso. Personally I wouldn't want the bike any smaller, felt just right.

The bike is absolutely amazing. I didn't think a bike with this much travel could climb so well and it absolutely rips going down. Well done RM

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You should go for the 18". I'm almost exactly your measurements and I like to throw my bike around too, so I got the 18" and it's perfect. The last 2 bikes I had were slightly too big and it's so much better riding a bike that fits. This bike is made to manual, jump, drop and all of that so go for the shorter bike its much more fun to ride and it already has a long wheelbase. The cockpit really does'nt feel cramped which is everyones main concern. you'll love this bike I've been riding mine for a couple of months and it's been perfect for all types of riding. Everyone should review these on the mtbr bike review and represent.

novice
    Thanks for everyone's input! I went ahead and bought the 18 today. Im hoping I made the right choice in size, but im just excited to ride it. The trails here are really brutal on bikes and I've been needing a new one. I was actually going to purchase a SantaCruz Butcher but saw that deal at Jenson and had to jump on it. I think the slayer is a better deal. I will let you all know how it works out. Thanks again!

mtbr member

6'0" and the 19" feels great

Took my brand new 2012 Slayer 50 19" out for it's first ride this morning. The previous nights, just taking my dog for a ride around the neighborhood, had me a little worried it may be a tad too cramped. But I got to thinking my previous bike (2007 Trek Top Fuel 19.5") was a little long in the cock pit. Anyway, it felt perfect on the trail today.

It is a little smaller than my previous bike...the top tube is about 1" shorter on the RM Slayer. It's a new bike so obviously a different feel. It seems more perfect of a fit for me than my previous bike. I'm 6'0" with a 32"inseam and the 19" Slayer is definitely a great fit.

mtbr member
    My 18" Slayer 70 arrived today, and it feels PERFECT! Got a nice 3 hour ride in to break it in, get it dirty, and get the suspension set up the way I want, going to be an awesome week/weekend!
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Traverse - How does the 18" feel for you? I'm 5'11" with 32" inseam and in the same bind as you were, but I think I'm leaning to the 19" for the 23.4" TT. My current ride is an medium Intense Uzzi (2005ish) and it's got a 23" TT, but my stem is long and my seat is a bit back. So I think going to a 22.6" TT with a shorter stem would make me feel cramped. I can probably adjust to a shorter TT feel, but don't want to overdo it, and since the stem will be shorter than I'm used to, I think the 19" would be best.

Luckily, a guy at my LBS who says he's my same size rides the 18" Slayer 2012, so I can at least try that out for reference before buying, but I haven't gotten over there yet. How's it feel to you?